•  

Photo

Competency question help

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 Neri1983

Neri1983

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 04:13 PM

Tell us what effect you expect being a police officer to have on your social and domestic life.

Can anyone give me a few pointers on this. Only about three lines are required from me.

I really don't think it will have too much of an effect on me. I already work rotating shifts in a 24 hour work place so consider myself adaptable but I'm not sure of putting this down on the form incase I come across as being unrealistic when considering the effect of being a polce officer.

But alternatively, I don't want to come across as if I would be inconvenienced by being a police officer.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

#2 achowe

achowe

UKPOLICEONLINE Full Member

• Resident Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 04:38 PM

something about how being a police officer is not just a job, but a completely new way of life. it becomes your life and you are never 'off duty'.

#3 chalky97

chalky97

I'm New !

• Resident Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 06:43 PM

I am married to a DC and it does affect your social life, you have to be careful who you hang around with, you can not ignore or walk away from trouble when you are off duty, you can have your rest days cancelled at the drop of a hat, which is difficult when you both work and have kids.

But as you say if you already work shifts like me you are halfway there, and if it did cause problems with your social life you adapt your social life to fit the job.

#4 Debs22

Debs22

UKPOLICEONLINE New Member

• Resident Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 07:32 AM

I would say it is about upholding a position of responsibility within the community at all times, whether it be on or off duty. So that would have an affect upon your life :)

#5 philip74

philip74

UKPOLICEONLINE New Member

• Resident Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 08:22 AM

I agree with Chalky97, consider the effects of being a PC will have on your partner and the possible strain it will have on your relationship.

Also, you WILL find that you will have to distance yourself from people you know, these will either be friends or people you simply chat to at times in the pub because their views on life or their actions when out.

(Q: Would you want to be seen in the pub or having something to eat when someone is doing/saying something they should not be? Would you like to be put in that position when the person on the next table knows your a PC? What would you do?)

Additionally, friends or people you know will not like you being a PC and likely to distance you....You should be ready for that, it will effect your social life.

I'm sure everyone avoids certain people when they join, just to avoid compromising positions etc.

Hope this helps.

It's not all doom and gloom though....enjoy.

#6 pepecarr

pepecarr

I'm New !

• Resident Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 11:34 AM

Just mention it doesnt just affect you but youre family eg called in while off duty for an emergency , ect they just want to know you dont think its like a civi job.

#7 pepecarr

pepecarr

I'm New !

• Resident Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 11:34 AM

Just mention it doesnt just affect you but youre family eg called in while off duty for an emergency , ect they just want to know you dont think its like a civi job.

#8 pepecarr

pepecarr

I'm New !

• Resident Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 11:35 AM

#9 Neri1983

Neri1983

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 04:13 PM

Thank for all the replies. I will be giving them all some thought.