26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Woodentop

Woodentop

UKPOLICEONLINE Associate Member

• Resident Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 06:00 PM

OK - we are well aware it's illegal to drive without road tax and (where applicable) without a valid MOT certificate for the vehicle - I am not questioning that.

At the moment I have a vehicle sitting 'off-road' whose MOT and Tax has expired, and I want to start using it again.

I would obviously re-insure the car before the date I planned to drive it again.

However, I can't get a tax disc until I have the car MOT'd - is it permissable to drive the car to the MOT Testing Station (only a two-minute drive away, but of course that's beside the point) without MOT or Tax? Obviously as soon as the MOT certificate was issued I could purchase the tax disc (by getting a bus to the post office if necessary, and not driving the car again until I had displayed the disc).

The bottom line is - can I drive to the Testing Station without MOT or Tax, and/or then drive to the PO to purchase my tax disc?

#2 OFFLINE   Huddro

Huddro

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Newbie Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • Interests:Scuba diving, climbing, motorbikes

Posted 20 January 2007 - 06:21 PM

My understanding is that as long as you have a pre-booked appointment then you can take the car to a garage to have an MOT. Once passed you coul dthen get your tax before drviing it home

#3 OFFLINE   Frostblade

Frostblade

• Resident Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 06:25 PM

Make a prearranged appointment to have the car MOT'd at an approved test centre. Obtain proof of the appointment and on the day drive the car to the test centre by the most direct route with your proof in case you get stopped by police.

However, you MUST have a licence and the vehicle MUST be insured against third party indemnity.

This is the only normal exception to driving a vehicle with no tax or MOT.

By the way, no one pays "road tax", Winston Churchill abolished it in the 1930s.

#4 OFFLINE   WitnessProtection

WitnessProtection

UKPOLICEONLINE Full Member

• Resident Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 10:56 PM

you can also book an appointment for a repair in order to pass the MOT

#5 OFFLINE   Woodentop

Woodentop

• Resident Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 12:17 AM

Thanks to those who have responded.

So, basically, I can legally drive it to the garage without having a valid MOT cetificate and without displaying a tax disc - and it's advisable to have proof of the booked MOT appointment - but after I have the MOT certificate I must not drive it until I have displayed a tax disc.

Just checking I've got that right..

#6 ONLINE   Dragonfly

Dragonfly

UKPO Admin

• Admin
  • 616 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 09:54 AM

Yes mate. You are allowed to drive it an MOT Testing Centre for a pre-booked MOT and then back home if it fails or passes, but no where else until you have a valid tax disc.

The chances are if stopped, you would be advised accordingly and perhaps a CLE 2/6 submitted to the DVLA for no VEL, however if you were to purchase a valid VEL that day and back date it to the first day of the month, the chances are the DVLA would take no further action, but it would be their call.

#7 OFFLINE   TheCrow

TheCrow

I'm New !

• Newbie Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 10:45 PM

Yes mate. You are allowed to drive it an MOT Testing Centre for a pre-booked MOT and then back home if it fails or passes, but no where else until you have a valid tax disc.

The chances are if stopped, you would be advised accordingly and perhaps a CLE 2/6 submitted to the DVLA for no VEL, however if you were to purchase a valid VEL that day and back date it to the first day of the month, the chances are the DVLA would take no further action, but it would be their call.

hi sorry to hijack the post but cant find the exact info im looking for, i ride a motorbike and the mot ran out a while back (cant afford garage prices to have work done yet) but have found a A private motorbike mechanic working from home who can do the work required, would i have to get the bike transported via a trailer or can i ride it to his home? i have insurance and tax.

#8 OFFLINE   ammo

ammo

UKPOLICEONLINE Veteran

• Power User (Enhanced)+
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 08:32 AM

hi sorry to hijack the post but cant find the exact info im looking for, i ride a motorbike and the mot ran out a while back (cant afford garage prices to have work done yet) but have found a A private motorbike mechanic working from home who can do the work required, would i have to get the bike transported via a trailer or can i ride it to his home? i have insurance and tax.

The exemption for mot only applies to taking it to the location where the MOT is to be carried out. Unless he is doing the MOT as well then you'd need to transport it.

#9 OFFLINE   TheCrow

TheCrow

I'm New !

• Newbie Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 02:39 PM

The exemption for mot only applies to taking it to the location where the MOT is to be carried out. Unless he is doing the MOT as well then you'd need to transport it.

Thanks trailer it is then...

#10 OFFLINE   charlyfarlly

charlyfarlly

• Resident Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 11:12 PM

seemed to have missed this one ?

but the dispensation is not just for going to and from a mot, it also allows you to drive from the mot to a place of repair, so you could drive/ride to your repairer via the mot station, if the cost of an mot is less than getting it transported, allowing that the retest fee will also be less, it will also give you a list of repairs for him to carry out

there is also remarkable scope for interpritation of the dispensation, driving to a location to change drivers so they can carry on the journey to the mot station, seems to fit, nor does the requirement demand that the journey to the mot station and the mot are carried out on the same day, or even that you actualy get as far as attending the MOT station. as long as the purpose of the journey is to get an mot, however before getting creative, being pulled by the police for no mot is the least of your worries, dealing with the DVLA claims for back tax/sorn fee is far more scary a proposition

#11 OFFLINE   Traffic Rat

Traffic Rat

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Senior Resident Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:05 AM

seemed to have missed this one ?

but the dispensation is not just for going to and from a mot, it also allows you to drive from the mot to a place of repair, so you could drive/ride to your repairer via the mot station, if the cost of an mot is less than getting it transported, allowing that the retest fee will also be less, it will also give you a list of repairs for him to carry out

there is also remarkable scope for interpritation of the dispensation, driving to a location to change drivers so they can carry on the journey to the mot station, seems to fit, nor does the requirement demand that the journey to the mot station and the mot are carried out on the same day, or even that you actualy get as far as attending the MOT station. as long as the purpose of the journey is to get an mot, however before getting creative, being pulled by the police for no mot is the least of your worries, dealing with the DVLA claims for back tax/sorn fee is far more scary a proposition

You seemed to miss the fact that if the vehicle has failed an MOT, a Fail is issued for a SERIOUS Mechanical fault, which usually if you were to drive the vehicle again, even just away from the testing station, the likelyhood would be that there would be a suitable offence under the Con & Use regulations, for example say a leaking/faulty brake system, possibly an immediate prohibition being placed on the vehicle, a Fixed Penalty Ticket with points and Fine

#12 OFFLINE   charlyfarlly

charlyfarlly

• Resident Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:02 AM

You seemed to miss the fact that if the vehicle has failed an MOT, a Fail is issued for a SERIOUS Mechanical fault,

fails are also issued for minor electrical defects, not just faulty brakes et al

#13 OFFLINE   Traffic Rat

Traffic Rat

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:58 AM

fails are also issued for minor electrical defects, not just faulty brakes et al

Yes they are, but even minor electrical will amount to an offence under Con & Use regs, Ie Defective Idicator, mis-alligned Headlamp-Likely to cause dazzle to other road users, etc.

My point is - There may be exemptions to MOT rules regarding taking to / driving away from , HOWEVER the offences would still stand irregardless of the reason for using the vehicle, and especially the driving away bit, when the person collecting has been made aware of such defects prior to driving it away by the examiner etc.

#14 OFFLINE   charlyfarlly

charlyfarlly

• Resident Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 12:24 PM

Yes they are, but even minor electrical will amount to an offence under Con & Use regs, Ie Defective Idicator, mis-alligned Headlamp-Likely to cause dazzle to other road users, etc.

My point is - There may be exemptions to MOT rules regarding taking to / driving away from , HOWEVER the offences would still stand irregardless of the reason for using the vehicle, and especially the driving away bit, when the person collecting has been made aware of such defects prior to driving it away by the examiner etc.

im not sure it is ? the intention of parliment was that yopu can legaly drive a defective car from a mot station to place of repair, if it wasnt so, the law would say you cant leave an mot station under your own power fallowing a fail which would make you captive for any charge the mot station wanted to levy

there is clearly a differance between , say, driving to quikfit to get a blowing exhaust fixed which would/could be done with impunity from prosicution and driving a car which is in a dangerous condition, but then if it had no brakes et al, the mot station would have served a prohibition on it

this is just a matter of practcality given to assist people get there car in a roadworthy condition

there is very little case law on mots, the only one i know is, you can stop to buy fags on the way to get one, and not spoil the dispensation, so its not to my knowledged been tested in the higher courts, proberbly becouse most of the NON dangerous condition faults would just result in a non endorsable FPN any way, so the chance of it ending in the court of appeal over a blowy exhaust of a worn out wipper blade are slight

Edited by charlyfarlly, 16 August 2011 - 12:26 PM.

#15 OFFLINE   topcatsimba

topcatsimba

I'm New !

• Newbie Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:12 PM

hi,just bought a car that has been stored for 7 years,i have arranged insurance on the car for 7 days,at present work is been carried out to get the car ready for mot.once i have booked the car for a mot i know i am covered as long as i straight to the mot station. OK but once the car passes its mot can i drive it back to the garage were repairs were undertaken as when i bought the car no v5 document was given not even green slip.i have applied for v5 v v62 foam also sent off that the car has just been bought and declare it sorn off the road.please advice on passing mot but not able to tax vehicle.

#16 OFFLINE   clever trevor

clever trevor

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Banned
  • 517 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:52 PM

hi,just bought a car that has been stored for 7 years,i have arranged insurance on the car for 7 days,at present work is been carried out to get the car ready for mot.once i have booked the car for a mot i know i am covered as long as i straight to the mot station. OK but once the car passes its mot can i drive it back to the garage were repairs were undertaken as when i bought the car no v5 document was given not even green slip.i have applied for v5 v v62 foam also sent off that the car has just been bought and declare it sorn off the road.please advice on passing mot but not able to tax vehicle.

yes, its to and from an mot with out specifying where these places might be and to a place of repair with out specifying that you must fail an mot first

so yes, its both the place you left to get the mot and a place of repair so your covered two ways

#17 OFFLINE   topcatsimba

topcatsimba

I'm New !

• Newbie Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:36 AM

Thank you :biggrin:

#18 OFFLINE   lookforwards

lookforwards

I'm New !

• Resident Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:41 AM

Perhaps a related question...

If your tax disc expired at the beginning of the month, but it is not yet past the date when you renew it 12 months ago

eg. Say it's the 10th Jan 2012, the disc expired on 31st Dec 2011, but the post office stamp on the disc says 15th Jan 2011...

Will an officer automatically charge you, or does he have some discretion in this matter since it's less than 12 months since you last paid?

(This doesn't relate to a case btw)

#19 OFFLINE   clever trevor

clever trevor

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Banned
  • 517 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 02:30 PM

If your tax disc expired at the beginning of the month, but it is not yet past the date when you renew it 12 months ago

eg. Say it's the 10th Jan 2012, the disc expired on 31st Dec 2011, but the post office stamp on the disc says 15th Jan 2011...

Will an officer automatically charge you, or does he have some discretion in this matter since it's less than 12 months since you last paid?

if he has discretion is a different question, but it runs out when it says it does

i belive they will commonly give you a week, but you cant rely on this

#20 OFFLINE   topcatsimba

topcatsimba

I'm New !

• Newbie Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:15 AM

yes, its to and from an mot with out specifying where these places might be and to a place of repair with out specifying that you must fail an mot first

so yes, its both the place you left to get the mot and a place of repair so your covered two ways

insurance company have turned round now and said because the car has been sorn off road we can not cover it, unless you forward a copy of mot+ road tax only then they will cover the car. now have no other option to arrange a recovery to the mot garage and back which is going to put a dent in my wallet.

#21 OFFLINE   Sub-seven

Sub-seven

UKPOLICEONLINE Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,962 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:57 AM

But the payment you made (two weeks late) on the 15th Jan covers the period from 01/01/2011 to 31/12/2011 - so you are not displaying a valid excise licence.

You are allowed 5 days grace if you paid on-line and on time only.

#22 OFFLINE   clever trevor

clever trevor

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Banned
  • 517 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:15 PM

insurance company have turned round now and said because the car has been sorn off road we can not cover it, unless you forward a copy of mot+ road tax only then they will cover the car. now have no other option to arrange a recovery to the mot garage and back which is going to put a dent in my wallet.

that is complete nonsense,, unless it is specificaly writen into the policy, which would be extremly unlikely, ask to speak to someone in charge

#23 OFFLINE   explodJP

explodJP

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:02 AM

I agree with CT , I would look at what ins co you are using .

#24 OFFLINE   TheGrimReaper

TheGrimReaper

UKPOLICEONLINE Veteran

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:40 AM

find another insurer

#25 OFFLINE   lgwarren

lgwarren

I'm New !

• Resident Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:22 PM

I was under the impression that your insurance was invalid if you did not have a current MOT?

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users