•  

Photo

Old Height Requirements

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 Carott

Carott

UKPOLICEONLINE Full Member

• Newbie Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 11:18 PM

I know as long as i have been in the recruitment process (and probably a lot longer) there have been no height requirements to join the police, but im interested in what these used to be, as all the text i read say "There are no longer height requirements", implying there used to be some?

Im 6'1, so i doubt this would have affected me anyway... call it simple curiosity, anyone know what the restrictions used to be?

#2 zane

zane

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Newbie Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 11:46 PM

I seem to remember that for men it was 5,8" or 5.9". I know I was not able to apply then as I was 1/2 inch short. Story of my life :D

#3 mrstinchcombe

mrstinchcombe

UKPOLICEONLINE Full Member

• Newbie Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 11:50 PM

Here is a link to The Police Regulations 1987 where it states:

(d) must, if a candidate for appointment in the rank of constable—

(i) unless the chief officer of police otherwise decides, be not less in height than, in the case of a man, 172 cms, or in the case of a woman, 162 cms

http://www.opsi.gov....870851_en_3.htm

Not sure when this was abolished tho

#4 PXXXC

PXXXC

UKPoliceOnline Legend

• Newbie Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,592 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 01:41 AM

I thought back in.................. x days, Male officers were only eligible if they were over 6ft. :)

#5 Chazza

Chazza

UKPOLICEONLINE Associate Member

• Resident Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 06:36 AM

freestyler_onli: I thought back in.................. x days,  Male officers were only eligible if they were over 6ft.  :)

That was City of London Police.

However my old man tells me that an old skipper at Holborn was very proud that none of his PC's were under 6ft...

I think I'd have just scraped through under the old 5'9'' requirement! Glad they scrapped it to be honest!

#6 Dragonfly

Dragonfly

UKPO Staff

• Admin
  • 603 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 08:24 PM

Most dont know the reason why the height restriction was put in and assume it was to do with physical stature.

In the late 70s as police pay went up, the amount of people applying rose as well. To counter this they put in this height rule. Thats why some older bobbies (the commandant of Ryton when I was there) are shorter than even that 1987 rule.

#7 Big Brother

Big Brother

UKPOLICEONLINE New Member

• Resident Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 10:14 PM

Well im 6'3...doubt i would have any problems.. :P