•  

Photo

Driving too slow???

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
75 replies to this topic

#1 mjeone

mjeone

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 09:42 AM

Is it indeed correct that people can be stoped for driving to slow? I live in ludlow south shrops and have a daily commute up the a49 to shrewsbury, this road is very twisty and for the most part impossible to overtake on due to it being quite busy in both directions. Virtually everyday though I'm held up for miles on end by some dithering idiot doing 35-40 mph with a clear road ahead of him/her. It's very comon to see bunches of flowers at the side of the road I'm wondering how many people have died tring to over take poeple like this. I got into a conversation over the weekend with a friend who knows I'm in the process of joining up he'd just been given a ticket for doing 65 (on a different road) in clear road conditions after not long over taking one of the dordeling masses. Well fair enough bang to rights but who in all honestly is causing more of a danger.......i'm betting the slow boat went past the speed trap un botherd.

By the way I am NOT "my friend"

#2 Black Rat

Black Rat

UKPoliceOnline Admin

• Admin
  • 7,300 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 10:13 AM

You don't say what the speed limits are on the roads you mention (presumably National Speed Limits apply ?)

I've never known anyone be pulled up for driving too slow as a general rule other than by a Fed who maybe wants to see if the driver has been drinking etc.

The rule of thumb is you should always be able to stop on your side of the road in the distance you can see to be clear...

If you are unable to overtake then so be it :rolleyes:

#3 mjeone

mjeone

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 10:16 AM

:oops: sorry yes national speed limits.

#4 mjeone

mjeone

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 10:30 AM

If you are unable to overtake then so be it :rolleyes:

For 15+ miles sometimes there is just no way due to the twists/ on coming traffic surely this cant be right. I didn't ask if people do pull people for it,more if it's possible too. I really think I'd take pleasure in it, the frustration it causes other drivers has to be a contributing factor in some accidents. It's like a form of anti social behavour. I remember tackling my Dad on it once, he's definatley one of the club, flat cap volvo estate, never more than 40 anywhere. He complained one day while I was a passenger about a guy overtaking him on a very short bit of straight tooting his horny giving him the wa%ker sighn, said he was a dangerous chav. I agreed but told him he was also driving very dangerously there was nothing in front and about 20 cars behind all probably getting increasingly frustrated. His view is it's a limit not a target!

By the way in my first post I did say with nothing in front.....................so if you cant stop from 60 with only a horizon to crash into surely you should not be on the road period!!!!!

Edited by mjeone, 05 June 2007 - 10:41 AM.

#5 DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Senior Resident Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 05:31 PM

They can be stopped as s. 163 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 empowers a constable to stop a vehicle for any purpose. No reason needs to exist.

I believe there's case law about slow vehicles driving unreasonably long distances and inconveniencing other drivers being convicted of inconsiderate driving. I don't think 40 in a 60 warrants that though.

#6 Soren

Soren

UKPOLICEONLINE Master

• Newbie Members
  • 2,376 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 06:02 PM

We have a lot of slow moving agricultural vehicles driving on our major roads, some of which are single lane each direction. They can do about 20mph and often don't want to move in to allow the queue they have created to pass. I've spoken to many and reported a few for inconsiderate driving, although they never get more than a letter of caution.

I once reported a coach driver for driving 6 miles along a lakeside road at 15mph while his passengers were admiring the views - there was a display on the lake involving the red arrows at the time, so they though it would be nice to dawdle along and take in the action. I was about 15 cars behind trying to get to work. :angry:

Once again CPS declined to run it :blink:

Edited by SøS, 05 June 2007 - 06:03 PM.

#7 k1ngy

k1ngy

UKPOLICEONLINE Full Member

• Newbie Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 06:49 PM

They can be stopped as s. 163 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 empowers a constable to stop a vehicle for any purpose. No reason needs to exist.

I believe there's case law about slow vehicles driving unreasonably long distances and inconveniencing other drivers being convicted of inconsiderate driving. I don't think 40 in a 60 warrants that though.

They surely should have a 'reason' you cant just say hi just thought i would pull you over?
I do agree with the causing a nuisance although living in milton keynes we do not really have this problem, dual carriageways everywhere and roundabouts every 100 metres but we do have people driving in right hand land for 4 roundabouts because they are turning right at 1 eventually this means you have to drive behind them for the stretch!!

#8 Devons finest

Devons finest

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Resident Members
  • 392 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 07:11 PM

Inconsiderate driving is the possible offence.
However in days on traffic i did used to pull slow moving vehicles but mainly for the purpose of finding out if they were fit to drive, and one of the main things i got out of this was driving without corrected eyesight and did many many eyesight tests.

from my deep dark past i also seem to remember some obscure thing about a slow moving agricultural vehicle having to pull in occasionally to let traffic past but that may be just the voices in my head!
:rolleyes:

#9 mjeone

mjeone

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 07:12 PM

They can

I don't think 40 in a 60 warrants that though.

:iagree:

Over short distances,however on rural single carriage roads over many miles I think it's down rite inconsiderate and dangerous.

#10 Matty Hall

Matty Hall

UKPOLICEONLINE Veteran

• 1,504 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 07:14 PM

Isn't there a few roads with a min speed limit of 30mph? I'm sure I've seen the signs in the highway code.

:)

I hate tractors esp if they have a trailer of cabbage on the back! (I used to get stuck behind loads on the A52 on the way to skeg!)

#11 mjeone

mjeone

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 07:22 PM

Isn't there a few roads with a min speed limit of 30mph? I'm sure I've seen the signs in the highway code.

:)

I hate tractors esp if they have a trailer of cabbage on the back! (I used to get stuck behind loads on the A52 on the way to skeg!)

Tractors and other large type machinery goes slow because it physically cant go quicker. I'm talking about normal cars.

#12 Devons finest

Devons finest

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Resident Members
  • 392 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 07:25 PM

The answer is above my child :innocent:

#13 DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• 757 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 07:48 PM

They surely should have a 'reason' you cant just say hi just thought i would pull you over?

You should have a reason but legally none is required. Randomly stopping people isn't an effective use of your time!

I believe there are minimum speed limits in some of the tunnels (Mersey Tunnels?).

#14 Traffic Bob

Traffic Bob

UKPOLICEONLINE Master

• 2,435 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 09:23 PM

on rural single carriage roads over many miles I think it's down rite inconsiderate and dangerous.

I can't recall any driver during my service being convicted of causing death by dangerous driving because he/she drove "too slowly" on a rural road, thereby "forcing" some impatient fool to overtake.

Impatient fools, on the other hand............. :rolleyes:

#15 mjeone

mjeone

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 09:35 PM

I can't recall any driver during my service being convicted of causing death by dangerous driving because he/she drove "too slowly" on a rural road, thereby "forcing" some impatient fool to overtake.

Impatient fools, on the other hand............. :rolleyes:

So just how many miles would you sit behind someone bimbling along at 35-40 mph with nothing in front of them? Have your years of service robbed you of such basic desires....... you know like just wanting to get the daily 26 mile commute over with in under an 70 mins. Or are you really telling us in such situations you gladly sit behind the offending idiot smiling without any frustration? Such patients :smiley_notworthy:

#16 Traffic Bob

Traffic Bob

UKPOLICEONLINE Master

• 2,435 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 09:41 PM

Spare me the lecture - I'm not saying anything of the sort. What I am saying is that these people are not the dangerous drivers - the dangers are the ones who let their frustration get the better of them and take risks.

Sounds like someone needs to chill out behind the wheel - ever heard of road rage?

;)

#17 mjeone

mjeone

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 09:53 PM

Spare me the lecture - I'm not saying anything of the sort. What I am saying is that these people are not the dangerous drivers - the dangers are the ones who let their frustration get the better of them and take risks.

Sounds like someone needs to chill out behind the wheel - ever heard of road rage?

;)

Tell that to the inocent party coming the otherway who gets taken out by the frustrated driver????? Might he still be living if the inconsiderate dawdler hadn't picked that day to be on the same road as him. I totaly agree that at the end of the day the responsibility lies with the guy who chooses to overtake............ but if it wasn't proven that this kind of situation contributed to accidents then why do they spend £000's on 15 foot tall electric signs on rural roads like for instance the a9 between perth and inverness wich regularly say "Please allow faster traffic to overtake frustration causes accidents"

#18 DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• 757 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 09:57 PM

;)

Wholeheartedly agree. Nobody ever forces you to overtake.

#19 mjeone

mjeone

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 10:12 PM

Well it seems my opinion is not shared, I must be wrong, it's not the first time sure it wont be the last. I did think however that I would try and look at it from both sides of the coin. Just on this occassion I just cant see another. Like I've said I agree that the ultimate responsibility is with the driver who chooses to overtake, I just thought that maybe the contributing factor was worth discussing.

It seems a little to black and white to me to surgest that the dawdler is completely inocent in the scenareo, even if the law says so.

#20 k1ngy

k1ngy

UKPOLICEONLINE Full Member

• Newbie Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 06:25 AM

Also something else to consider, when i was being taught to drive i was told not to go to slow - You must consider other road users and if its 30, 60 etc to keep to around that figure being aware of any potential dangers of course.
Also i find the slow movers are usually of an older generation whose reactions etc are a little slower.