•  

Photo

GETTING CAUGHT WITH NO M.O.T fine ?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 singhters

singhters

UKPOLICEONLINE New Member

• Resident Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 07:35 PM

hiya folks,

Basically I have my tax but my mot is expiring soon but with work I havent got time at the moment to get the work done as i like to do my own rather than pay massive garage bills.

The vehicle itself is sound new brake pads etc etc checked all the basics all is good i just need to do a few odds and sodds like adjust the handbrake affix some rubber underneath back into place cos they come loose so basically a few zip ties and job done if i get caught with no mot thats lets say 1 week over due whats the charge fine or just a telling off.

Does it invalidate the insurance.

#2 sykes

sykes

UKPoliceOnline Staff

• Moderators
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 06:50 AM

hiya folks,

Basically I have my tax but my mot is expiring soon but with work I havent got time at the moment to get the work done as i like to do my own rather than pay massive garage bills.

The vehicle itself is sound new brake pads etc etc checked all the basics all is good i just need to do a few odds and sodds like adjust the handbrake affix some rubber underneath back into place cos they come loose so basically a few zip ties and job done if i get caught with no mot thats lets say 1 week over due whats the charge fine or just a telling off.

Does it invalidate the insurance.

I'm not going to tell you what to expect for deliberatley running vehicle with no mot, youve had 12 months to get test booked etc.

just lazy and arrogant for thinking you can justify no mot because your busy

#3 Sect172

Sect172

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Senior Resident Members
  • 601 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 08:33 AM

I'm not going to tell you what to expect for deliberatley running vehicle with no mot, youve had 12 months to get test booked etc.

just lazy and arrogant for thinking you can justify no mot because your busy

Completely agree with Sykes.

Some people just astound me...

#4 Lozza

Lozza

• Resident Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 10:20 AM

Errm i wouldnt advise it at all....

Edited by Lozza, 21 August 2007 - 03:44 PM.

#5 SWJohnson

SWJohnson

UKPOLICEONLINE Full Member

• Resident Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 03:41 PM

The work you've described only sounds like about an hours labour, so why not get it done at a non franchised garage (lower labour hourly rates), or even the MOT station ? At least then you remove the uncertainty about getting a fine.

A car which would not pass an MOT could be considered to be unroadworthy and could lead to other charges apart from the lack of MOT.

Better to be safe than sorry, from a safety point of view as well as a legal one :thumbsup:

#6 DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• 757 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 04:28 PM

If your car is unroadworthy then it can be prohibited and that'll cost you.

#7 Traffic Bob

Traffic Bob

UKPOLICEONLINE Master

• 2,435 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 06:20 AM

Singhters, thankfully you've been quiet on these pages for a while. But when you do come on, you only visit to ask advice as to how you can bail yourself out the cr@p because of your own incompetence, either behind the wheel or now, it seems, because you're too lazy to get off your backside.

Why don't you do us all a favour and p1ss off. Permanently.

:rolleyes:

#8 Dr_Spock

Dr_Spock

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Resident Members
  • 435 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 09:31 AM

Dearie me :o .....Traffic Robert.....who left an empty coke can in your T5?

#9 Traffic Bob

Traffic Bob

UKPOLICEONLINE Master

• 2,435 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 04:32 PM

His presence here is illogical Spock, my old chum!

This forum is not a place to visit only if you have broken the law (or in this case are about to :rolleyes: ), and want to find the best way to get yourself out of a jam.

It's the only reason Singhters bothers with us, and I see no reason why we should help him. He needs to get himself down to Citizen's Advice.

If he can find the time, that is.

#10 Lozza

Lozza

• Resident Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 08:54 AM

LoL :clapping:

#11 JayKay

JayKay

I'm New !

• Resident Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 01:07 PM

All I can say in reply to this question is......

Derrrrrrrrrr!

You don't need a brain to know the answer to that one.

You don't have an MOT, therefore you don't have insurance and your car should not be on the road unless its booked into an MOT station. Sort your life out! You have chosen to own a car, you have to live with the bills and the responsiblity, thats how it works, deal with it!

It gets my goat when people can't even manage the simple things when owning a car, simple things like tax, MOT and insurance. If you can't do those simple things, get yourself a Bus Pass!

I do hope that your local RPU stops you on your travels and introduces you to every letter of the law you have decided you don't want to pay attention to!

#12 DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• 757 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 04:50 PM

You don't have an MOT, therefore you don't have insurance

How did you work that one out? Every insurance policy I've ever seen is only invalidated if the driver is disqualified or has never held a licence or has lied in order to obtain it (and even then the policy is only voidable, not void).

#13 tenbears10

tenbears10

UKPOLICEONLINE Associate Member

• Newbie Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 10:49 PM

In answer to your question not having an MOT is a non endorsable ticket with a £60 fine. It is cheaper to get the MOT done by a garage than pay the fine so get it done or put the car off the road. It is not rocket science.

#14 JayKay

JayKay

I'm New !

• Resident Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 01:36 AM

How did you work that one out? Every insurance policy I've ever seen is only invalidated if the driver is disqualified or has never held a licence or has lied in order to obtain it (and even then the policy is only voidable, not void).

Apologies if I have been mistaken but I've always been under the impression that if your vehicle is not road legal (ie no mot) then it automatically invalidates your insurance with the only exception being if you have booked it into an mot station and you are making your way there.

My car and motorcycle policies state the vehicle must be in a road worthy condition for the insurance to be valid. Perhaps I just have very 'by the book' insurance companies?

#15 xray1983

xray1983

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Newbie Members
  • 727 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 09:08 AM

I seem to think that the bit on the policy that states "nothing in this policy affects the third party's right to claim" means that if your vehicle is insured as Fully Comp for example, and you hit a another car, but yours is not in a roadworthy condition then your company will not pay out for your damage, however the third party can still claim.

#16 DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• 757 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 12:31 PM

I seem to think that the bit on the policy that states "nothing in this policy affects the third party's right to claim" means that if your vehicle is insured as Fully Comp for example, and you hit a another car, but yours is not in a roadworthy condition then your company will not pay out for your damage, however the third party can still claim.

Exactly. Certain sections of the Road Traffic Act 1988 prohibit insurance companies from denying third party claims due to various factors, such as the driver being impaired or the vehicle being unroadworthy. So whilst the insurance company does not have to pay for damage to the insured vehicle, it does still have to pay out for third party damage/injury. This means that, regardless of what the policy may try to exclude, the vehicle is insured to the minimum requirements of the Road Traffic Act and thus the driver/keeper is not committing an offence.

#17 Black Rat

Black Rat

UKPoliceOnline Admin

• Admin
  • 7,287 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 01:24 AM

singhters

You never cease to amaze me with your questions :dunce2:

#18 naughty lee

naughty lee

• Resident Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 07:28 AM

i think we hav gone a bit off thread here, matey is obviously on the wind up.
heres some usefull info though

If your vehicles MOT expires say on the 1st of June, the time to book it in for its test is the 1st of may (one month early)

Why? I hear you ask

If the vehicle passes its test, the garage will issue you with A 13 MONTH mot (No kidding)

If the car fails however, you still have 1 months MOT remaining on your vehicle (time enough to get it sorted out before the ticket expires)

Garages often make a killing on people whose ticket runs out on the day of the test or has already expired,
"oh it will be a pass mate but we will have to fix the widget valve which is gonna cost you £185"

Go a month early and they know they aint got you over a barrel.

check all your lights, tyres wiper blades seat belts and door catches before you go. Make sure you get a pass.

If you see a bargain testing place "MOT's £15"
its false economy, these garages tend to be more picky and try to fail you (in the hope that the cheap test will get more customers and more repair work)

Pay the going rate (about £35) and give the vehicle a good going over before you go.

#19 naughty lee

naughty lee

• Resident Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 07:35 AM

one wierd part about MOT's is than not having one does not neccicerily void your insurance. If the vehicle is on its way to or from a PRE BOOKED MOT, its not breaking the law. Also if its on it was to a garage to have MOT work done (by prior arrangement) again it is not breaking the law. Obviously the same car could also not be displaying a tax disc (as you cant get one without an MOT) whilst it appears to be a blatent offence, this is not always the case.
a regular smart ###### whose vehicle is insured could do a lot of driving about provided he had alibi's (for test work) for all of his trips