Spook

Vetting

930 posts in this topic

This seems to be a subject that comes up at least once a week, so hopefully this will be of help to potential applicants. All of this information is in the public domain and freely accessible.

A Police Officer/Staff would normally undergo three types, CRB, Security & Financial.

CRB – Will normally be at enhanced level, this check will interrogate databases listing criminal convictions, sex offenders register and watch lists for vulnerable groups such as those who can not work with children or at risk adults. This can take up to six weeks.

Security Vetting – This is the most in-depth and has a number of levels, the standards set out in the Manual of Protective Security and now consists of 5 levels and allows certain access to Protectively Marked Material (PMM):

BC - Basic Check, allows access to RESTRICTED information and supervised access to Confidential

CTC – Counter Terrorist Check , for people who work in sensitive areas, does not allow access to PMM

SC – Security Check, allows access to Secret and supervised access to Top Secret, will be reviewed no later than every 10 years.

SCE – Security Check Enhanced, this is a new level brought in by HMG in July 2007, allows unrestricted access to Secret material for staff working on Top Secret Information but do not require unrestricted access to Top Secret Documents.

DV – Developed Vetting, this would allow routine and unrestricted access to Top Secret marked material and below, this would be reviewed no later than every five years.

Checks up to SC level would normally result in checks against the PNC, Security Service Records and Financial Checks (Credit Reference).

SCE and above would also include direct interviews with the Vetting Officer as well as references being obtained from friends/family and employment. And may include further interviews.

Due to its very nature security Vetting can take unto six months as the checks will be detailed, if there are periods outside of the UK then the checks may well take longer.

Above all be PATIENT, it will take as long as it takes, chasing forces for this may well hinder you application rather than aid it.

3 people like this

Hello,

I have passed all the fields required for the application for a police constable and have been waiting for the vetting checks etc, yesterday I received a letter saying that due to my background checks my application has been terminated. This is the only career I have ever wanted to do, and I am obviously more than disappointed. I know that it is not through a fault of my own, and think it has something to do with my fathers record and a son from a previous marriage (who I have never met) has spent some time in prison when he was 18 for 'attempted armed robbery with an imitation firearm', I have only just found this out. I also believe my dad, (who I do not live with) has been arrested before but never spent time in prison.

Can I appeal? Do I have a chance? How do I go about it?

ANY information you can give me would be GREATLY appreciated. Stacey

Hi

new to the board, currently waiting to hear back on my final vetting for the BTP, was told on the phone should take aprox 3 weeks, and could have a possible start date end of august, does this sound right? or does anyone know if its likely to be longer than 3 weeks?? cheers

Hi

new to the board, currently waiting to hear back on my final vetting for the BTP, was told on the phone should take aprox 3 weeks, and could have a possible start date end of august, does this sound right? or does anyone know if its likely to be longer than 3 weeks?? cheers

hi jimbo,

am also waiting on vetting checks with btp with a view to 25th aug start.spoke to recruiting on 3rd july who said 2-3 wks and will phone as soon as they have them back,think u just got to wait.good luck dude and maybe see you at Tadworth.

hi jimbo,

am also waiting on vetting checks with btp with a view to 25th aug start.spoke to recruiting on 3rd july who said 2-3 wks and will phone as soon as they have them back,think u just got to wait.good luck dude and maybe see you at Tadworth.

i called them on weds last week and they told me my vetting was successful and i would hear by monday, but still not seen anything, when i spoke to them i was told 25th aug too, so yeah hopefully see you at Tadworth! Good luck to you as well!

:clapping:

i called them on weds last week and they told me my vetting was successful and i would hear by monday, but still not seen anything, when i spoke to them i was told 25th aug too, so yeah hopefully see you at Tadworth! Good luck to you as well!

:clapping: thats great news i bet your chuffed,fingers crossed at my end i think i'll ring them at the end of the week as you know they're not very forthcoming with letting us know.

:clapping:

:clapping: thats great news i bet your chuffed,fingers crossed at my end i think i'll ring them at the end of the week as you know they're not very forthcoming with letting us know.

tell me about it i know you have to be patient but its so difficult, especially seeing as i hate my current job too, i spoke to them again yesterday and spoke to someone else, but he said he thinks intake dates are for october time! god i hope he was wrong :wacko::wacko:

tell me about it i know you have to be patient but its so difficult, especially seeing as i hate my current job too, i spoke to them again yesterday and spoke to someone else, but he said he thinks intake dates are for october time! god i hope he was wrong :wacko::wacko:

Hey Guys,

Im also waiting for the vetting to be finished, been about 4-5 weeks called them the other day and they said they will contact me with any news. Its difficult cos your so close! When did you guys have your fitness test?

Hey Guys,

Im also waiting for the vetting to be finished, been about 4-5 weeks called them the other day and they said they will contact me with any news. Its difficult cos your so close! When did you guys have your fitness test?

Hi Mate i had my fitness 22nd april, how about you?? was you given any idea about a start date if your vetting was successful?

Hi Mate i had my fitness 22nd april, how about you?? was you given any idea about a start date if your vetting was successful?

My fitness was on the 30th May. no start date given.

have found out this morning that i have failed vetting with BTP with no explanation why,they told me to write to freedom of info manager who will write back with an answer,after 2 years of recruitment i feel totally deflated and can't understand why it's come back failed.No aug or oct start for me,don't know which way to turn.Any advice appreciated

have found out this morning that i have failed vetting with BTP with no explanation why,they told me to write to freedom of info manager who will write back with an answer,after 2 years of recruitment i feel totally deflated and can't understand why it's come back failed.No aug or oct start for me,don't know which way to turn.Any advice appreciated

i really feel for you mate, ive read a few posts like this one on here, if you fail they should at least let you know why! maybe something to do with finances? or maybe anything to do with the police that you didnt tell them all the way through? either way they do some kind of checks on you from the beggining so you would think that for their sake and yours they would check this out before putting you through every other stage, did you phone them or did they call you? hopefully someone else can help you out on here if you can appeal or anything,

I'm a bit worried about my vetting for the met...

I have recently passed vetting process for them for a Special constable (which may I add took 13 weeks!!).

However, on wednesday I passed my final stages for PCSO for them so obviously will end my application for special constable to take the PCSO role.

Will the checks be exactly the same or a bit more in depth as they will actually be paying me now??

I have nothing to really worry about apart from a few previous employers references.

I'm hoping that as I've passed before, that I should pass again but reading the stories that people have been terminated after the long wait put a downer on things! :sorry:

i really feel for you mate, ive read a few posts like this one on here, if you fail they should at least let you know why! maybe something to do with finances? or maybe anything to do with the police that you didnt tell them all the way through? either way they do some kind of checks on you from the beggining so you would think that for their sake and yours they would check this out before putting you through every other stage, did you phone them or did they call you? hopefully someone else can help you out on here if you can appeal or anything,

they phoned me,i need to wait and see what i get back from info manager and go from there,am sort of getting my head round it slowly and if all fails and with info they send me will consider another force more local.They said depending on what it is they may be able to help but i won't hold my breath.Have received letter this morn telling me application had been terminated Not Good !!!

they phoned me,i need to wait and see what i get back from info manager and go from there,am sort of getting my head round it slowly and if all fails and with info they send me will consider another force more local.They said depending on what it is they may be able to help but i won't hold my breath.Have received letter this morn telling me application had been terminated Not Good !!!

I'm in a similar position, just had a letter from Warwickshire telling me that Professional Standards were unable to grant security clearance. No explanation.

Gonna appeal just as oon as I figure out how....any tips guys?

what financial checks do they do? i have a loan which i have never missed a payment on but have missed a few of my phone bills...will that go against me? im confused

what financial checks do they do? i have a loan which i have never missed a payment on but have missed a few of my phone bills...will that go against me? im confused

I don't think you have anything to worry about. They're more interested in uncontrolable debt and CCJ's etc.

My father was recently arrested for criminal damage and also armed response were called to him due to (false) allegations of him carrying a knife.

What's the chance of me passing vetting?

I have no criminal convictions of my own and a completely clean background.

My father was recently arrested for criminal damage and also armed response were called to him due to (false) allegations of him carrying a knife.

What's the chance of me passing vetting?

I have no criminal convictions of my own and a completely clean background.

Probably quite high.

Hello,

I have passed all the fields required for the application for a police constable and have been waiting for the vetting checks etc, yesterday I received a letter saying that due to my background checks my application has been terminated. This is the only career I have ever wanted to do, and I am obviously more than disappointed. I know that it is not through a fault of my own, and think it has something to do with my fathers record and a son from a previous marriage (who I have never met) has spent some time in prison when he was 18 for 'attempted armed robbery with an imitation firearm', I have only just found this out. I also believe my dad, (who I do not live with) has been arrested before but never spent time in prison.

Can I appeal? Do I have a chance? How do I go about it?

ANY information you can give me would be GREATLY appreciated. Stacey

i know how you feel, just received letter off GMP saying I'be been unsuccessful due to checks but wont tell me which one! It's taken a year out of my life and I'm not getting any younger!

Hi, new member here. I've been through the board and its full of good info but I could really do with a quick bit of info.

I'm in for a job with Police Staff - corporate development. I have a couple of assessments to get through but like many of you, the element hat is worrying me the most is the vetting - probably because its something I can't change and as it takes so long.

I've been told that it will take six weeks.

I have a little debt in the form of a personal loan and an overdraft - I've never missed a payment on the loan and haven't missed any payments on any agreement in over a year.

I live with my girlfriend who is a newly-qualified teacher and has secured a job following vetting.

While at university I was arrested in 2005 and spent a night in a cell. It was on suspicion of drink driving. I was released on bail for 2 weeks and when I returned I was never charged. I'm not sure how this will look on a vetting check - yes, i have been arrested, but have done nothing wrong and was never even charged, let alone convicted.

Am I likely to pass?

Any info would be greatly appreciated as I'm pinning a lot on this job at the minute.

1 person likes this

hi

just got my date for initial interview however i am worried about the vetting.

12 years ago i was charged with wreckless driving but recieved a letter from the proc. fiscal saying charges would be dropped . Never been in trouble with police since and have always had a clean licence , but got a fixed penalty for failure to wear a seat belt 6 years ago

Do you believe any of this will be a problem

Hiya

First post, so I'm a bit of a newbie but here goes....

I am interested in joining and have signed up for an event on 30th August to get my application pack but am worried about the financial vetting part! Thing is I have an IPP at the moment, but it has been running for 2 years with no missed payments or anything....

Am I gonna get turned down anyway? :o(

Hiya

First post, so I'm a bit of a newbie but here goes....

I am interested in joining and have signed up for an event on 30th August to get my application pack but am worried about the financial vetting part! Thing is I have an IPP at the moment, but it has been running for 2 years with no missed payments or anything....

Am I gonna get turned down anyway? :o(

see my reply here mate

Ian

see my reply here mate

Ian

Thanks muchly :thumbsup: