•  

Photo

Help needed!!! How Long does a Caution Last???

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 julieann

julieann

I'm New !

• Newbie Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 05:01 PM

In March 2006 i was approached by a girl on a night out and to cut a long story short she hit me and i hit her back. Unfortunate for me she was then Hospitalised and i was arrested, Because i admitted to hitting her more than once (Which could have been self defense) I was Cautioned For GBH. I was totally devastated as i had always wanted to join the Police Force and after sending my Application in was told because of the Caution i wasnt allowed!!! I had never been arrested before and was quite peeved cause it was no way my fault!!! How long does this stay on my record? and when (if ever) can i apply again???

#2 strawberry31

strawberry31

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Senior Resident Members
  • 774 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 05:16 PM

In March 2006 i was approached by a girl on a night out and to cut a long story short she hit me and i hit her back. Unfortunate for me she was then Hospitalised and i was arrested, Because i admitted to hitting her more than once (Which could have been self defense) I was Cautioned For GBH. I was totally devastated as i had always wanted to join the Police Force and after sending my Application in was told because of the Caution i wasnt allowed!!! I had never been arrested before and was quite peeved cause it was no way my fault!!! How long does this stay on my record? and when (if ever) can i apply again???

hey, i had a caution when i was 14 but not for anything violence...wrong crowd and all that. im not a copper yet but i would be surprised if you can join with that on your record as its violence and not too long ago either, although i stand corrected when a proper copper replies. were you drunk....why didnt you just call the police instead of hitting back, i know how you felt though coz i almost got into a fight - but walked off in the end and im glad i did.
good luck with whatever happens and like i said, im not a copper yet so you'll have to wait and see what everyone else says...you could also call your chosen force and ask?

#3 Carott

Carott

UKPOLICEONLINE Full Member

• Newbie Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 06:00 PM

GBH is the most serious of assaults... did they charge you for this? or for GBH with intent?

If you say it was purely in self-defence did you not pursue this to clear your name?

For an assault to be classified as GBH it must have been one heck of a punch, as GBH is some form of permenant scar or health issue.... not simply a black eye

#4 dazed1984

dazed1984

UKPOLICEONLINE Associate Member

• Resident Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 07:18 PM

It's at least 3 years, but because it's for violence you may well have to wait longer... best thing to ask your force.

#5 Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer

UKPOLICEONLINE Guru

• Power User (Enhanced)+
  • 3,172 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 07:23 PM

To get a caution you must have admitted it and signed a form to that effect.I suspect you just wanted to get out of the nick ASAP and would have admitted to being Lord Lucan. As posted I doubt it was GBH probably a section 47 actual bodily harm or even a 39 common assault.

These things are often to do with figures, you may have been arrested on suspicion of GBH but the case finalised quite differently but for the figures it shows a detected GBH.

Some coppers I have been told say things like 'its only a caution, its only recorded locally, it won't affect your later life, its nothing'
Just to get you to sign the form causing as little paperwork as possible.

A caution is actually a conviction and you are on the systems for life with at least 3 reference numbers including a national and international ( schengen when it goes live for the UK and for the commonwealth) CRO number (criminal records office).

People should be aware that a caution isn't a let off or a chance it can stain your character forever.

Sorry to sound doom and gloom but people should think carefully before accepting a caution to get out of custody quickly.

Good luck whatever happens.

#6 Dave40

Dave40

I'm New !

• Newbie Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 07:42 PM

hi everyone,

James c, how bad dose a caution destroy a character?? the reason i ask is that i too have a caution, to cut a long story short, when i was 15 me an some friends dared each other to take some garden ornaments off peoples gardens and swap them around, we were walking down the road and where arrested with them in our possestion, anyway i was given a police caution for this. I'm now 21 and i havent been arrested since. will this also effect my chances for joining the police force??

any help welcome.

Thank you

David40.

#7 Tim in the South

Tim in the South

UKPOLICEONLINE Trooper

• 1,934 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 08:15 PM

Having a caution, warning or reprimand, may appear to be something relating to a 'minor' offence. Often people who have been given these are told something like "after 5 years they disappear", which isn't true. For example, if you apply to do work such as teaching, social work, nursing, these are all exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act, so you always have to declare them, even if this happened 20 years ago.

It has been known that students have commenced programmes at various Universities (but not all), and because of the requirement to complete a CRB for a particular career, they have declared that they have no convictions etc.. When the University receives a copy of the CRB, and discover the caution etc., some Universities will immediately terminate the student from the programme - due to the concern that the student has attempted to mislead / is dishonest etc..

Moral of the story - always declare it, then it's up to the employing authority / University to make the decision based on as much information as possible. Otherwise, having a caution / warning / reprimand can have a huge negative impact upon someone's life.

In terms of applying to become a Police Officer - each recruitment department will make a decision based upon the facts - and how much you tell them. The more detail you give them, the easier / fairer the decision. (I don't work in recruitment - but that's how I see it).

Tim

#8 WellAdvised

WellAdvised

UKPOLICEONLINE Veteran

• 1,362 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 08:51 PM

I must assume you were offered free and independent legal advice at the time - did you take it?

As others have said you must freely admit the offence to be eligible for a caution (as well as some other conditions which make you eligible.) I don't know how long it will affect your applications, but it may be that you would never be accepted.

You might want to find out exactly what you were cautioned for, as writing GBH on your application is going to produce the results you have already experienced, whereas a common assault (with a full explanation) might be slightly more palatable.

Look at it rationally, who would you choose out of 2 people, the one who has a caution for serious assault, or the one who doesn't. Thousands of people are in competition for a small number of roles, it is difficult enough with a clean record.

Good luck.

Edited by WellAdvised, 28 January 2008 - 08:51 PM.

#9 Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer

UKPOLICEONLINE Guru

• Power User (Enhanced)+
  • 3,172 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 09:08 PM

hi everyone,

James c, how bad dose a caution destroy a character?? the reason i ask is that i too have a caution, to cut a long story short, when i was 15 me an some friends dared each other to take some garden ornaments off peoples gardens and swap them around, we were walking down the road and where arrested with them in our possestion, anyway i was given a police caution for this. I'm now 21 and i havent been arrested since. will this also effect my chances for joining the police force??

any help welcome.

Thank you

David40.

You said destroy I said stain if you read it.
My very own nephew is also in this state again for an assault.He and his Dad were suckered in with a promise of a home interview no sitting in a cell and a solicitor would only delay things by a silver tongued bobby at the time and he has a caution.

Not saying he didn't deserve it he probably did it but a solicitor at the station could have saved him a caution on his record forever by the appropriate advice.

Its starting to sink in with him as he is now 19 and looking for a career not just a 'job'. More and more people do the checks and with 2 candidates one with a chalk for assault/theft/damage or whatever the other one with no history who would you employ. Especially the big firms who will just use it as an easy way to thin numbers of applicants.

All I say is be very careful of a persuasive officer offering you a mere caution so long as 'you admit it in interview, I know you haven't done it but for the benefit of the tapes cough it I'll lead you through it you will be out of here in 40 minutes no harm done'

Might just be the most most expensive 40 minutes
of your life.

All the best to all candidates now and in the future.

#10 soglet

soglet

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Resident Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 03:48 AM

sorry to derail this slightly, but is there a way to find out what you've actually been cautioned with? can you pop into the local police station and ask whats on your record?or is does it have to be in writing because of data protection?
just that i would like to apply for the police force soon, and recieved a caution when i was 15 for a playground scuffle.
i was taken to the police station at about 8pm and was refused legal representation when i and my mum asked for it, and told that it needed to be cleared up soon as the sgt was on holiday soon! when we asked to postpone the interview we were told we couldnt or they would arrest me.
i tried to explain to recruitment but couldnt remember the exact charge held against me so said what happened for me to be cautioned and they said it shouldnt be a problem, but obviously i need to no what the charge was to put on the application form.
cheers.

p.s julieann, try ring recruitment and good luck with it all.

#11 Mcluvin

Mcluvin

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 08:20 AM

Soglet,

Ive recently applied and was in a very similiar situation as you. As the incident happened when i was a juvenile i couldnt recall the actual result, date etc. The local police force stated I needed to write out to the data proctection department which I did, with £10 payment. They couldnt locate any details but I still declared the possible caution/reprimand on my application, just in case it did pop up (honesty and integrity!!).

If your applying soon then write out to the relevant department a.s.a.p as there is currently a 40 day turnaround, but explain the reason for the request as they fast tracked mine (only took a week).

Andy

Edited by Mcluvin, 29 January 2008 - 08:47 AM.

#12 julieann

julieann

I'm New !

• Newbie Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 10:24 AM

Thanks everyone, yeah i did just sign it as i didnt like being in the Police station at all and wanted to get out plus they also said to me " it wouldn't be on your record" etc etc I did attempt to walk away from the situation but thats when the girl pulled me to the floor by my hair!!!! I told the police officer this and he was very helpful, but when i mentioned the CCTV that would have caught it all on camera he said he didnt think it was worth it and that i would be held in custody longer!!! I know now i shouldn't have thought only with getting out but to prove i wasnt to blame!! but he assured me again it's not a proper conviction!!!
How do you apply to the Data Protection people??? am really interested to see whats on it now.
Cheers again evryone much help :)

#13 Mcluvin

Mcluvin

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 10:42 AM

Hi Julieann,

The form will he held on the relevant forces website, probably under something along the lines 'Requesting information'. The form is called 'Data Protection Subject Access Requests'.

All the best
Andy

#14 soglet

soglet

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Resident Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 12:34 PM

cheers andy. i will fill one of those out.

#15 1996chimpo

1996chimpo

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Newbie Members
  • 711 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 09:57 PM

I would have thought this would have been a section 47 not a GBH as said you must have given her a proper permanent slap to be GBH if as you say it was a bit of handbags. :bye: