•  

Photo

Cat C Car

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   LouSmiler

LouSmiler

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 04:59 PM

I have been looking for a second car for a while now. I have seen one i like but it is a cat c. It was involved in a accident and the car was bought back and repaired for around £1500.

I am after some advice on driving and insuring on a cat c? I have no idea what this involves.

#2 OFFLINE   Daveycrocket

Daveycrocket

I'm New !

• Resident Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 06:41 PM

Hi Lou

Personally i'd be very cautious about a cat C car. This means it has been extensively damaged and insurer decided against repair.

Is it significantly cheaper than similar non cat cars? What kind of car is it?

#3 OFFLINE   sykes

sykes

UKPOLICEONLINE Trooper

• Senior Resident Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:31 PM

Insurance write off come in 6 catagories ;

Cat A & B can not be put back on the road
Cat C as said earlier suffered significant damage and insurance company deemed not worth repairing, be very careful purchasing these vehciles you need to know who has completed repair and it needs checking by DoT testing station, as a rule if properly repaired should not be any different regarding insurance unless it is a performance vehicle. to be honest it needs to be very very cheap personally i wouldnt touch one for any money. you will also struggle in the future when you try and sell it.
Cat D deemed not finacially viable by insurance company but can be a good buy
Cat F fire damaged
and T stolen recovered belonging to insurance company.

#4 OFFLINE   LouSmiler

LouSmiler

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:37 PM

Thanks

Its a 2003 MG ZR.
My brother has a MG ZR, 2001 reg which he got for £3900.

The guy is asking for £2800 for this cat c ZR, 2003.

He says " its only a cat c because insurance companies cant be bothered to find parts for mg's. it was purely body damage "

#5 OFFLINE   sykes

sykes

UKPOLICEONLINE Trooper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:59 PM

If it was a case of difficult to obtain parts or those parts being very expensive it would be a Cat D. a cat C has suffered extensive damage, sorry but just panel damage sounds a bit iffy. As he shown you the certificate proving its suitability to be put back on the road. where /who did the repairs.

For what is basically a rover i personally would walk away

#6 OFFLINE   SWJohnson

SWJohnson

UKPOLICEONLINE Full Member

• Resident Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 01:06 AM

I have seem a few cat C and D write offs, and I get the impression that there's still some confusion and maybe some ambiguity regarding the difference, even from the point of view of assessors who work for insurance companies. There seems to be an overlap between the two categories in that you could assume that a cat c is going to have more significant damage than a cat d, but in practice, this isn't always the case. Some of the cat D cars that appear on salvage auction websites have heavier damage than a similar cat C.

A car with a C or a D rating is sold or authorized to be sold by an insurance company in order for it to be repaired and put back on the road. BUT, it is worth being cautious when considering buying one. I've known of many of these cars which were described as panel damage only, but subsequent purchasers often find that cars have structural and / or mechanical damage as well.

VIC checks on category c vehicles are first and foremost to confirm the identity of the vehicle, not to assess the quality of any accident repairs. VOSA can refuse to test, or issue a certificate for a vehicle which has significantly unrepaired accident damage, however their primary concern is to identify and prevent vehicle ringing and cloning. A cat c vehicle which has passed a VIC check will have this fact written on the front of the V5.

On the subject of insurance risk, I don't think previous accident damage and any subsequent financial payment to a previous owner or keeper of a vehicle makes any difference to the insurance risk regarding that vehicle. An insurance company may like the public to believe otherwise, however on the basis that a vehicle which has been repaired and passed a legitimate UK MOT test it would be fair to consider that vehicle to be roadworthy, and as such the risk factor should be confined to the facts regarding make and model of vehicle, the proposer, the driver, their age, post code and insurance / claims history.

#7 OFFLINE   Ian_C

Ian_C

UKPOLICEONLINE Guru

• Newbie Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 07:17 AM

Cat A & B can not be put back on the road
Cat C as said earlier suffered significant damage and insurance company deemed not worth repairing, be very careful purchasing these vehciles you need to know who has completed repair and it needs checking by DoT testing station, as a rule if properly repaired should not be any different regarding insurance unless it is a performance vehicle. to be honest it needs to be very very cheap personally i wouldnt touch one for any money. you will also struggle in the future when you try and sell it.
Cat D deemed not finacially viable by insurance company but can be a good buy
Cat F fire damaged
and T stolen recovered belonging to insurance company.

Nice update,, thanks.

#8 OFFLINE   Daveycrocket

Daveycrocket

I'm New !

• Resident Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 04:30 PM

I agree with Sykes to be honest and would walk away too.

It's not cheap enough to be tempting in my eyes although in all honesty i'd never buy any category car. I'd rather pay more and not have that thought in the back of my mind.

#9 OFFLINE   LouSmiler

LouSmiler

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 07:13 PM

Would i need to tell the insurance company that its a cat c car? They would probably know this from the reg anyway?

#10 OFFLINE   Tomd

Tomd

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:54 PM

Dont buy a ZR!!

Its a 10 year old Rover 200 thats crashed into Halfords front window!.

RUBBISH!.

T

#11 OFFLINE   margamboy

margamboy

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Resident Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 12:22 PM

Please be carefull with this and at least do a fully accreditied HPI check on the history of the car.

I very nearly got badly stung a couple of years ago with a Renault Clio sport when the car was a good few thousand pounds less that what they normally retailed at because the car i was told was a cat C.

The seller had photos of the car post damage and photos of the repair process, bills etc etc and i thought it was all genuine.

I consulted a garage who checked the car and the seller had all the VIC paperwork and log books and all seemed fine, i then undertook a HPI check and had a big shock when i was told that i was mis-informed and it was infact a cat B writeoff and the HPI checking company were going to have to speak to the DVLA to enusre the car was even allowed on the road!

I confronted the seller who apologised and said he'd knock a few extra £££ off!!!

Be carefull and personally i know the cheaper price is very tempting but i'd walk away.