•  

Photo

Can i ride a motorbike to a pre booked mot without tax ?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 IanP

IanP

I'm New !

• Newbie Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 06:24 PM

Hi.

I recently bought an old 125cc motorbike and have done my CBT, and have an MOT pre booked for next week, but I have been told by a neighbour that I cant ride it to the MOT centre without tax ?, but you cant get tax without an MOT !.

I have insurance, and have the insurance certificate already, but am not unsure if i can legally ride to the MOT centre ?, anyone know how the law stands with this ?

Thanks

#2 alli1981

alli1981

UKPOLICEONLINE Full Member

• Resident Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 06:37 PM

Yes.

If it fails the legislation gets a little more complicated.....!

http://www.direct.go...hicle/DG_069671

Go down the page, and it says:-

"Driving an untaxed vehicle to an MOT test
You can drive your vehicle to and from a pre-arranged test at an MOT test station provided you have adequate insurance cover in place for the use of that vehicle.

This also applies to vehicles being driven to and from a prearranged test at a Vehicle Inspection Check (VIC) test station, an approved weight testing station and reduced pollution test."

#3 Gforceuk

Gforceuk

UKPOLICEONLINE Veteran

• Newbie Members
  • 1,723 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 06:43 PM

But with no tax , isnt your insurance void?

#4 IanP

IanP

I'm New !

• Newbie Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 06:48 PM

excellent, thanks for clearing that up!.

I dont expect it to fail as i do all my own repair work, and used to be a Citroen mechanic many years ago, so I am competent on cars and motorbikes and know what to check, but if it does fail, can i bring it home to rectify the failure ?, or do it have to leave it to the MOT place to fix it there and then ?

once you get your mot, you seem to be left in a very grey area of the law, as i don't think its even legal to ride to the nearest post office to buy your tax is it ?

But with no tax , isnt your insurance void?

I read this bit on the link above, it seems to imply that you need special insurance that covers you to ride without tax, I will have to speak to my insurers on monday to get them to check the small print for me on this point

In order to tax your vehicle, you must have insurance cover that:

* covers you against third party claims for death or injury and damage to property caused by using the vehicle
* covers your use of the vehicle for taxing purposes
* is valid on the day the tax disc comes into force

#5 devil

devil

UKPoliceOnline Staff

• Moderators
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 06:53 PM

Not sure how this will all effect you financially even if your premium goes up but if you used to be a mechanic do you not have any friends in the motor trade with a trailer? May save you the worry of it failing and then having to get it come trying to sort it out whilst at the garage etc.

#6 IanP

IanP

I'm New !

• Newbie Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 07:10 PM

just reread the link that alli1981 provided, and it specifies that you are legal to ride to the mot station without tax and no special insurance cover is required, but if you then want to ride on to the post office from the mot center (providing you passed) to tax your vehicle, you do need special insurance cover.

There is no mention of what you do if your bike fails the mot and how the law stands from then on, anyone know this bit ?

Thanks

#7 alli1981

alli1981

UKPOLICEONLINE Full Member

• Resident Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 08:53 PM

This is taxing my brain today!!!

The law says that if your vehicle fails it's MoT, it must not be driven on the road again, until you are driving it to a pre-booked MoT appointment. If you do, then you are driving with no MoT and your insurance will be void for the purposes of any claims you might make, because your vehicle has been declared unroadworthy.

So if anyone's car fails it's MoT, it has to be either repaired at the garage you take it to, or towed / trailered etc to wherever it will be repaired.

The reality, however, is that most people will just drive it away from the garage to wherever it's going to get fixed up, and worry about it if they get caught. :shhh:

#8 IanP

IanP

I'm New !

• Newbie Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 10:07 PM

Thanks for clarifying that for me, the law can be very complex for the average person a lot of the time.

I think some people break the law sometimes simply because they don't understand it, and I know this isn't a defence you can use if you do get stopped, but it should all be written down in plain English somewhere so that misunderstandings like this cant happen, before coming on this forum and asking this question I believed that you were allowed to drive the vehicle away from the MOT station to a place of repair as long as you took a direct route and didn't stop on the way, but I'm not going to say that I did this in the past on a forum like this :innocent:

thanks for everyone's help on this matter, I am going to get it trailered to the MOT and back like devil suggested, I already had an offer from a friend with a trailer to take it there and back for me, but didn't want him to take time off work to do it for me if i was allowed to ride it there and back

Cheers

#9 explodJP

explodJP

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Senior Resident Members
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 09:40 AM

IIRC the wording of the relevant legislation is such that a vehicle can be driven on the road to a prearranged MOT test, and back again as long as the failed vehicle is not in a dangerous condition.
Lack of mot does not figure in insurance per se unlike appropriate licence to drive . HTSH