•  

Photo
- - - - -

ASP Baton Holders: Any good ones?? Which to buy?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

#1 Timbo797

Timbo797

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 06:23 PM

Hi guys,

Just looking for a decent ASP baton holder for my kit belt. Been issued by Met with standard pouch/holder for the baton, however seen other officers on the streets with open ended holders and ones that are angled for a cross draw.

Can anyone recommend a decent and tried & tested holder for the ASP?
Out on the streets soon, so looking to upgade my belt! Ha ha! Getting all excited! lol

Tim

#2 Donatello

Donatello

UKPOLICEONLINE Veteran

• Senior Resident Members
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 06:27 PM

Does your force-issue one not pivot so you can alter it on your belt?

I have mine at a ten past 7 sort of angle, others wear it at six o'clock and others wear it at quarter past nine positions, same with CS - mine sits along my belt vertically, rather than horizontally.

I would speak to the PTIs to ensure that the use of non issue kit for your baton etc is allowed, i would assume it may be a bit of an issue consdering it is used to house a potentially lethal weapon.

and also, why buy stuff? Use what you're given and put up, rather than wasting your hard earned cash on stuff that shoudl alrready be of a half decent standard.

(Just my thoughts)

#3 Timbo797

Timbo797

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 06:35 PM

Thanks for your reply GeordieFemale.

Our force issue holders dont pivot, neither the cs or baton holders. To be perfectly honest, the baton holder is a pain in the bum. Its nylon type material and can be difficult to draw the baton quickly, it quite easily gets stuck. This is one reason why I am willing to spend my cash on a new one. It seems that most other forces are issued with better equipment, such as adjustable holders, etc. I mean my handcuffs and asp are both reconditioned second hand!!

I haven't personally asked about what items we can/can't change or add to our belts, however I have heard through colleagues who have asked that it is ok. Plus I have seen other Met officers with different holders on the streets. I might ask them next time! lol

#4 josh198

josh198

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Resident Members
  • 544 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 07:21 PM

i was issued the same nylon baton holder as you timbo and i agree, it was a pain in the arse so i bought myself this one -

http://www.patrolsto...-21-p-8417.html

to be honest the rest of my issued kit was spot on and all brand new for that matter, got this cuff holder -

http://www.patrolsto...ouch-p-790.html

and this CS holder -

http://www.enforce-l....co.uk/P175.jpg

Edited by Patrol Store, 09 January 2009 - 03:28 PM.

#5 Timbo797

Timbo797

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 09:32 PM

Thanks Josh.
I've been looking at that ASP Sidebreak, would you recommend it? Had no problems etc?

Got the same cuff holder, however were issued with a pretty standard cs holder which, like the asp one, can also be a bit of a pain to pull out the cannister. Might look into that one you've mentioned as well.

Cheers.

#6 josh198

josh198

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Resident Members
  • 544 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 09:51 PM

yes mate, the sidebreak is good and i would recommend it, could do with being a little stiffer to turn as when you sit down with all your kit on it sometimes spins to a different position. not a big deal as you just spin it back but if i could change anything it would be that. the CS holder is top quality, best on the market i would say, obviously someone correct me if im wrong, never used any others but from what i have seen, i would rather stick with mine.

#7 Steve_Y

Steve_Y

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 04:26 AM

If you're with the Met, then there is only an issue surrounding insurance with using non-issue gear - IE you're not covered if for example it fails and you can't draw the baton and end up getting a good pasting.
If you're happy to risk your pension, then the ASP Sidebreak looks like a good bet.

I do think the standard issued holder is pants, and will involve wearing a hole in a few pairs of trousers as its placed in front of my left hip and rubs my thigh (ooooerrr!)

Edited by Patrol Store, 12 January 2009 - 09:56 AM.

#8 josh198

josh198

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Resident Members
  • 544 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 08:51 PM

i did look at that one and there are people i know who have it, its a very good bit of kit but i felt it was bulkier than the asp sidebreak. end of the day, both good bits of kit and far better than the nylon issue.

#9 Timbo797

Timbo797

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 11:39 PM

Thanks for your replies guys.

I've ordered the sidebreak, but will double check with colleagues/skipper before using it.

#10 xray1983

xray1983

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Newbie Members
  • 727 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 08:40 AM

The sidebreak scabbard is standard issue in Kent, works perfectly in my opinion, much better than any of the nylon things with poppers, it comes straight out, holds it in place when not in use and can hold it fully extended.

Recommended.

#11 OSD_Control

OSD_Control

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Newbie Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 09:54 PM

Thanks for your replies guys.

I've ordered the sidebreak, but will double check with colleagues/skipper before using it.

Good luck for out on the street Timbo797 ;)

Leroy

#12 Aequitas

Aequitas

UKPOLICEONLINE New Member

• Newbie Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 09:37 AM

Anyone else got any suggestions? Also MET.

#13 Matt M

Matt M

UKPOLICEONLINE Associate Member

• Newbie Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 03:43 PM

I use the ASP sidebreak holder. After all its made by ASP specifically for the ASP baton. If you dont want to use that the Google Peter Jones ILG. They do baton holders and CS spray holders.

#14 peterparker

peterparker

UKPOLICEONLINE New Member

• Resident Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 01:08 PM

Anyone else got any suggestions? Also MET.

I have a tried and tested model from Peter Jones which gets issued to my current force and Surrey I believe, I am also an Officer Safety Trainer. A mate of mine joined The Met recently and I supplied him with one from our stores, also a CS Holder with attached lanyard

Thing is with the Met it depends where you are and what other officer's wear, If you look like Batman with loads of added stuff on your belt you will get the piss taken out of you, check out what other people wear first would be my advice? The other disavantage of the webbing holder provided by the Met is if it is extended and needs to be holstered, you cant? with the Peter Jones ones you can.

Baton holder

http://www.peterjone...p174/index.html

CS Holder

http://www.peterjone...75kf/index.html

#15 NG5

NG5

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Newbie Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 03:52 PM

ive got the peter jones baton holder and cs holder and cant recommend them highly enough both quality bits of kit

#16 Misery Guts

Misery Guts

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 03:58 PM

ive got the peter jones baton holder and cs holder and cant recommend them highly enough both quality bits of kit

Had a good butchers at them from the links above.... definately where my hard earned will be going... :thumbsup:

#17 Kopite

Kopite

UKPOLICEONLINE Trooper

• 2,147 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 01:33 AM

We get issued similar to the sidebreak and i must be honest. Its not the best.

As someone says above, it spins out of position when you sit down. And although the screw can be tightened to sort this. After a few days it loosens again. Also, when I run in mine it falls out quite often as it doesnt hold the Casco tight enough. Ive had many chases where Ive got someone and then thought "ahhhh, thats not there if i need it".

I'll be getting the peter jones one. Ive found them to be superb kit with other things our force has issued us with from them. Namely cuff holders and cs holders.

#18 jimmy_bobby

jimmy_bobby

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Resident Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 10:11 AM

I’ve got the Peter Jones baton holder and spray holder as standard issue. Great bits of kit.

Only downside is that the baton is held in quit tightly when the holder is new. Needs a bit of wearing in.

Not great for a drawing it quick without breaking it in.

#19 Kopite

Kopite

UKPOLICEONLINE Trooper

• 2,147 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 10:40 AM

I’ve got the Peter Jones baton holder and spray holder as standard issue. Great bits of kit.

Only downside is that the baton is held in quit tightly when the holder is new. Needs a bit of wearing in.

Not great for a drawing it quick without breaking it in.

Better than going to draw and the thing isnt there mate. :tongue: :help:

#20 Silverwillow

Silverwillow

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 02:47 PM

Ok here's a silly question. My baton holder has gone awol. It was a crap nylon thing anyway, but looking at the Peter Jones ones, they are available in different sizes. Where will I find out what size my baton is? ;)!!

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users