•  

Photo

Best University or degree for the police force

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 G07122

G07122

I'm New !

• Resident Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 03:47 PM

I am thinking about doing a degree before joining the police force.

Any idea which is the best uni to go to or what degree I should take. There are a lot on offer and I was just wondering if any of you guys did the same and were you went to study.

Also will this degree make it easier for me to join the police force?

#2 trixiefoo

trixiefoo

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Newbie Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 03:55 PM

The degree (whatever you choose to do) wont make a bit of difference in getting in - you will still need to get through the papersift, the assesment centres etc etc.

The experience of going to Uni will, though, make you a more viable candidate - as you will have gained some valuable life experience and learnt to stand on your own two feet (relatively) and will gain other qualities recruit asessors look for.

As for which degree to choose - only you and you alone can make that decision. Three/four years can be a long time studying something you have no interest in. Personally, I'd suggest doing something you are both good at and could use in later life if the police doesn't work out.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I'd always advocate going to Uni - but it wont make it any easier or otherwise, in getting in the police.

#3 Jaydee

Jaydee

UKPOLICEONLINE Master

• Senior Resident Members
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 04:49 PM

As part of your 2 year probation with West Yorkshire Police you study for a foundation degree in police studies at Huddersfield university.

#4 Alpachino

Alpachino

UKPOLICEONLINE Veteran

• 1,251 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 04:52 PM

How about something like combined Psychology and criminology or criminal justice studies. Or just criminology.

Ultimately it wont matter because you still need to go through the same application process.

#5 wakeywakey28

wakeywakey28

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:46 PM

if you apply to the met and you are a graduate you don't have to complete the competency sections of the initial paper applicaiton. that means that you should generally make it to the next stage as long as you do a half decent application.

not sure whether any other forces also do this.

#6 WellAdvised

WellAdvised

UKPOLICEONLINE Veteran

• 1,362 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:04 PM

Do something you can use if you don't get in. Criminology and psychology are useless in my opinion, unless you want to work in those fields. Why not be a Special whilst at College?

#7 BeagleBoy

BeagleBoy

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Newbie Members
  • 842 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 10:32 AM

Do something unrelated to the police and as some say correctly.....something useful in case you change your mind about the police.

My degree is in politics which some would argue is useless if I wasn't in the police and went for another career but also quite useful given how political the job can be!

#8 ManchesterKathy

ManchesterKathy

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 10:37 AM

I did an undergraduate teaching degree and the experience I gained from my placements certainly helped towards the core competencies. Something like that where you're out doing work rather than just sitting in lecture halls would be beneficial IMHO.

Getting involved with student societies, sports clubs, unions etc could be helpful too. The one thing i've found going through the recruitment process is that life experience is so much more important than knowledge.

#9 strawberry31

strawberry31

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• 774 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 04:54 PM

As part of your 2 year probation with West Yorkshire Police you study for a foundation degree in police studies at Huddersfield university.

waste of money. The nvq is bad enough.

#10 Tim in the South

Tim in the South

UKPOLICEONLINE Trooper

• 1,934 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 05:53 PM

waste of money. The nvq is bad enough.

Now now Ms Soozie... you've not finished it yet....

but you're right. A total waste of money. A foundation degree isn't worth the paper it's written on, but then an NVQ is ... well, I can't tell you what the letters stand for as they're censured..

But who wants an NVQ? For what purpose do students get it? What can they do with it?

Waste of time, money and the sooner we get the backbone to get rid of it and all the people who are there to monitor it, check it, write it, verify it... the better. Save the Police force throughout the country huge sums of money.

#11 LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars

I'm New !

• Resident Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 06:19 PM

Now now Ms Soozie... you've not finished it yet....

but you're right. A total waste of money. A foundation degree isn't worth the paper it's written on, but then an NVQ is ... well, I can't tell you what the letters stand for as they're censured..

But who wants an NVQ? For what purpose do students get it? What can they do with it?

Waste of time, money and the sooner we get the backbone to get rid of it and all the people who are there to monitor it, check it, write it, verify it... the better. Save the Police force throughout the country huge sums of money.

Oh i love the solap/nvq its the best thing since sliced bread!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :crazy: