Sign in to follow this  
rowrow

Downloading From The Internet

I have just finished watching Panorama, in particular, Panorama S58E10 - Are the Net Police Coming for You? - (15th March 2010).

After doing so I thought that I would like to start a debate on the matter.

I was wondering if during this debate anyone here would be honest enough to admit to downloading music, TV, films or games etc etc and in which way that they do it, how often etc etc and how much material you purchase as well as download.

I know that a lot of people download music, I think it's the most downloaded type of material on the net. There are ways to download and listen to music legally, such as by using Grooveshark, which is an online music library that loads into your browser and is supported by ads.

I will start by telling my side of the story. I do a great deal of downloading. I download films, music, TV, computer games, you name it. I do this on a kind of try-before-you-buy basis. For instance, if I download a PC game that is good, I will go to the shop and buy it, so that I can fully enjoy its features such as multiplayer etc. On the other hand, if it turns out to be sh1te, I simply delete it. Same goes for the films etc etc. I feel that in this way if whatever it is that I have downloaded turns out to be rubbish, I haven't lost out. I know some will not agree with this, and some will, but hey, that's just my take on the matter.

In the programme there is talk of plans of cutting off peoples internet or reducing their speed so that they will not be able to download effectively.

Do you download? Do you not download? If so, why so, and if not, why not?

Please discuss (in an adult fashion, no flaming or insults!)

If the government were to penalise us for illegally downloading content then nearly ALL of the country would be in court or paying fines.

Recently I have started to buy more CD's and DVD's and only download TV shows from other countries that we don't get in the UK.

Edited by DaBest

I rarely download. I have downloaded MP3 (from iTunes, Amazon) but I'd rather have the physical CD (complete with the case, liner notes etc). It must be a generational thing - because having the postman (mine is a man who delivers) bring to the door a CD I've ordered gives me greater pleasure than just downloading the track(s) I want. Tearing the parcel open brings excitement and happiness, which downloading just can't do.

I've never downloaded films etc - it just never occurs to me to do that anyway.

Software - I've downloaded when I've purchased it, or if it's shareware, or trial basis. Like the OP, if the software I've downloaded doesn't do what I think it should, I'll then not purchase it at the end of the trial, but just uninstall and delete it.

I wouldn't share software that is only for purchase eg Microsoft Office, as this is an offence, and I don't wish to face the humiliation of being sacked / disciplined / arrested / losing my friends because I've been too mean to pay for something which I don't own. I don't even accept copies of CD that friends may have created for software or music.

Fortunately with the price of music (in real terms) having fallen so dramatically over the years, many people probably no longer use software such as limewire (and napster, and the others that used to allow free downloads).

Just as a sidenote, has anyone checked out GrooveShark?

It's like iTunes but in your web browser, just type in the name of the artist/track you want, and voila! There it is, playing for you. All supported by ads and legal.

I don't wish to face the humiliation of being sacked / disciplined / arrested / losing my friends because I've been too mean to pay for something which I don't own. I don't even accept copies of CD that friends may have created for software or music.

Would you really be treated so harshly if it came to light you had downloaded some copyright material?

I haven't checked out GrooveShark to be honest.

All you got to do these days is type in the song and a file hoster on Google and bingo! In all honesty I think I've download a very small number of songs/albums.

Anyone who uses torrents needs their heads examining.

SSL encrypted downloading for the win :-)

Well, torrenting can also be done with encryption enabled. What is this SSL encrypted downloading you speak of? I am interested.

Agreed.

If I'm watching a film on a specific kind of video player I go offline to ensure it doesn't download to my documents and I generally access what I need via proxies and other methods.

The main people the government should be targeting are the people who build websites and do this stuff for a living.

Well, torrenting can also be done with encryption enabled. What is this SSL encrypted downloading you speak of? I am interested.

Its the uploading part of torrents that is the issue...you are in effect "supplying" for want of a better word.

SSL is secure sockets layer, superceded now by TLS - transport layer security.

Even better is using a VPN. VyprVPN is pretty good.

Like most people I have downloaded Shareware .. OK

I have also downloaded Software which I have had to pay for. On one occasion the software was not as advertised and I asked for my money back from the company who handled the sale (not the Software authour). I got my money back in the end but it took time I am afraid Digital River could have been a lot more helpful and speedy with the refund.

When it comes to Music I have only downloaded one track and the had a problem. When Mother in law died she wanted a particular tune at the service. The only place I could get the track she had requested was from the USA, in fact it waas the Welmart site. They required payment by a US credit card. Fortunatley one of my daughters lived in the USA and paid for it.

Mivies I never watch so downloads dont come ito the frame.

I do record TV for watching later (all OK so far). I do like to save a couple of favourite TV shows and burn the recordings to DVD. I edit them to remove the TV adverts and edit the sound to ditch the inane chatter by a continuity announcer over the closing credits. Still OK. If I am going to keep the DVD for viewing in the future I like to make it look neat and tidy, so I will if I can find it down load the artwork for the DVD face and the Box sleve. Now that I guess is a copyright issue. I am not selling or giving away the DVD it is only for my use. But I guess it is still not the letter of the Law.

Tim in the South

I can understand where you are coming from. Not only would it be an embaresment to get done and loose your job, the cost financially for not spending a few £'s would not be worth it.

I do think on a Forum such as this we should be pushing the Law not the breaking of it.

Rog

Its the uploading part of torrents that is the issue...you are in effect "supplying" for want of a better word.

There are also plenty of free pieces of software available.

I mainly use Graboid,Limewire and Sopcast

Free live footy

Free films

Free music

Who needs Sky!!!! :lol:

I mainly use Graboid,Limewire and Sopcast

Free live footy

Free films

Free music

Who needs Sky!!!! :lol:

Mother's little angel.

Ahh I get you now.

What you are talking about is encryption methods as opposed to the actual method of sharing. And I must say I am very impressed that a res fed has come forward to say that they are into file sharing! Nice one.

There are 35 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE