•  

Photo

Provisional Licence Holder not accompanied-Insurance valid?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
43 replies to this topic

#1 CoolHand1960

CoolHand1960

I'm New !

• Newbie Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:04 AM

I would like the answer to this question which has been really bugging me - Is a provisional licence holder insured in the event of a claim if driving whilst unaccompanied?

Lets say he is a named driver on his wife's insurance and the car is in his wifes name on the log book. Would she also be aiding and abetting him if she knew of this offence and also if she denied knowing of the offence is he taking the vehicle without the owners consent?

But my main question is he insured in the event of a claim?

#2 jamieMET

jamieMET

UKPOLICEONLINE Associate Member

• Police Service (Officer)
  • 77 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:10 AM

No, because they would be driving on an invalid lisence (being unsupervised)

#3 The Black Rabbit

The Black Rabbit

UKPOLICEONLINE Full Member

• Resident Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:41 AM

I would like the answer to this question which has been really bugging me - Is a provisional licence holder insured in the event of a claim if driving whilst unaccompanied?

Lets say he is a named driver on his wife's insurance and the car is in his wifes name on the log book. Would she also be aiding and abetting him if she knew of this offence and also if she denied knowing of the offence is he taking the vehicle without the owners consent?

But my main question is he insured in the event of a claim?

Not on your life!!!!!

#4 blueb

blueb

UKPOLICEONLINE Trooper

• Senior Resident Members
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 04:36 PM

As most insurances say they will cover if the person holds or has held a driving licnece, then more likley to be covered than not. The non comp;iance in the OP would be equally valid of the learner had no rear L plate, but would you really expect the Ins Co to void the cover in those circs? Non compliance with one rule does not negate the Ins - otherwise all drink drivers would commit the offence.
As for the llater options of aid/abet or theft then you are looking for more options and chances of the driver not being covered.

#5 explodJP

explodJP

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• 1,150 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 04:58 PM

The insurance would still be valid , allthough it would only cover third party (insurers decision) .
With regard to second part, the wife would either be permitting or the driver would be twoc , twoc is really keepers consent , as the keeper is the person responsible at law , not neccessarily the owner .
If it turns out to be twoc then keepers insurance would not be liable .

#6 SimonT

SimonT

UKPoliceOnline Staff

• Moderators
  • 7,290 posts
  • Interests:police, climbing

Posted 01 April 2010 - 06:20 PM

Provisional with no one else there us driving otherwise in accordance. you dont get cover while doing that

#7 Grumpy275

Grumpy275

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Resident Members
  • 779 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 08:48 PM

I believe ExplodJP is right.
When I was in training I passed a comment about Insurance being invalid is a not too discimilar senario. My Skipper told me I was wrong in the comment I had made, which was based on public idea. I was told that the third party component of the insurance could only be stoped by cancellation of the policy. The comprehensive component might be void but not the third party risks.
As for aiding . It is my opinnion that if the wife allowed the named driver to use the vehicle on the understanding the driver had a supervisor then she is not commiting an offence. I dont believe the law can hold her to account for the non compliance of the driver If on the other hand it can be dhown she knew that would put a different slant on things.

#8 5panky

5panky

UKPOLICEONLINE New Member

• Resident Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:42 PM

The insurance would still be valid , allthough it would only cover third party (insurers decision) .
With regard to second part, the wife would either be permitting or the driver would be twoc , twoc is really keepers consent , as the keeper is the person responsible at law , not neccessarily the owner .
If it turns out to be twoc then keepers insurance would not be liable .

Sorry but the insurance is NOT valid, it clearly states that a provisional driver has to be accompanied in the car by someone holding a valid full uk license.

If they are on their own in the car they are not driving in accordance with the license conditions and that would immediately invalidate any insurance.

It has nothing to do with the level of cover, thats like saying that if someone has fully comp ins and has to wear glasses, that if they forget their glasses they are only 3rd party......doesn't work that way......I know because I have first hand experience of this and it cost me alot of money!!!

If the owner of the car gives consent to the provisional driver to drive without supervision they are commiting an offence aswell unless they were led to believe the driver had a full license.

Edited by 5panky, 01 April 2010 - 11:46 PM.

#9 Soren

Soren

UKPOLICEONLINE Master

• Newbie Members
  • 2,376 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 07:16 AM

Insurance will normally cover third party risks in this case.

#10 Bluebird

Bluebird

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Newbie Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 11:24 AM

You have to remember that insurance companies will find every little reason not to pay out. Iv known them to refuse to pay out for less

#11 Grumpy275

Grumpy275

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Resident Members
  • 779 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 11:39 AM

5panky

Revisit this after you get in and have had some guidance. I dont mean this unkindly but Soren is right some insurance companies make their money on the claims they dont pay.

In fact you dont even have to have insurance.

Rog

#12 The Black Rabbit

The Black Rabbit

• Resident Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 01:27 PM

C'mon people, wake up and smell the coffee!

Insurance Companies are there to make money, not throw it away. They only need the slightest reason to invalidate/withdraw cover when faced with a claim.

If, for example, you simply changed the radio in your vehicle for a better model, this could come under the category of a 'modification' and without informing them, this could invalidate your insurance in the event of a fire/theft claim (Ive known people who have had similar happen).

Driving without the proper licencse is a no brainer. If you were the insurance company, would you be prepared to take what may be a significant loss in the event of a claim, bearing in mind the Share-holders dividends, or would you refuse to pay out?

'You've got to have Bubbly at the share-holders party' :w00t:

#13 linus2

linus2

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Resident Members
  • 407 posts
  • Interests:Moaning about stuff

Posted 02 April 2010 - 01:35 PM

There is a massive difference between the insurance company refusing to pay out and not having insurance through it being invalidated.
It's all in the wording of the policy. Mine says "holds or has held a licence entitling the insured to drive such a vehicle, and is not disqualified from driving".
A provisional licence is such a licence, therefore the insurance company would have to honour 3rd party risk, which is all that is required in law.

#14 blueb

blueb

UKPOLICEONLINE Trooper

• 1,776 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 03:35 PM

Sorry but the insurance is NOT valid, it clearly states that a provisional driver has to be accompanied in the car by someone holding a valid full uk license.

If they are on their own in the car they are not driving in accordance with the license conditions and that would immediately invalidate any insurance.

It has nothing to do with the level of cover, thats like saying that if someone has fully comp ins and has to wear glasses, that if they forget their glasses they are only 3rd party......doesn't work that way......I know because I have first hand experience of this and it cost me alot of money!!!

If the owner of the car gives consent to the provisional driver to drive without supervision they are commiting an offence aswell unless they were led to believe the driver had a full license.

Are you saying that the need to be an accompanied learner is on the insurance certificate or do you mean it is part of the Motor vehicle (Driving Licence) Regulations. If you mean the former then if that is what is said on the policy, I would agree. If you refer to the conditions for a provisional driver, then I would disagree with you.
Your comment about dropping from fully comp to 3rd party oly highlights that even failing to copmply with the insurance policy, they still appeared to have provided 3rd party liability, which after all, is the minimum legally required. Dropping from fully comp to 3rd party is not an offence.

#15 firestick

firestick

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 04:35 PM

The insurance company will honour the third party.

#16 Grumpy275

Grumpy275

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Resident Members
  • 779 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 09:57 PM

Are you saying that the need to be an accompanied learner is on the insurance certificate or do you mean it is part of the Motor vehicle (Driving Licence) Regulations. If you mean the former then if that is what is said on the policy, I would agree. If you refer to the conditions for a provisional driver, then I would disagree with you.
Your comment about dropping from fully comp to 3rd party oly highlights that even failing to copmply with the insurance policy, they still appeared to have provided 3rd party liability, which after all, is the minimum legally required. Dropping from fully comp to 3rd party is not an offence.

blueb

You do not have to have insurance "by law". I said this earlier and was waiting for someone to jump on it.

The fact is if you have a lot of cash available you can deposit a sum with the treasurey (I think) and obtain a certificate of Indemnity.

I have only seen two of these certificates, one I carried when driving an MoD vehicle.

THere is so much misunderstanding regarding Insurance I think this is how some companies manage to get away with disallowing claims. It would be interesting to see what the percentages are for claims paid against disallowed.

Rog

#17 SimonT

SimonT

UKPoliceOnline Staff

• Moderators
  • 7,290 posts
  • Interests:police, climbing

Posted 03 April 2010 - 10:33 AM

Im still a but unclear, though my traffic knowlidge is poor.
If you are provisional and you are alone surely you are driving whilst otherwise in accordance. I have seized plenty of cars for peope doing same when they have no license as no license = no insurance.

i cant see why any insurance comany would entertain paying anything if someone has driven without a full license holder in the car. its definately an offence.

#18 explodJP

explodJP

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• 1,150 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 12:28 PM

The insurance company has to cover the third party liability, (by law) ,as they have taken a contract to , which if you think about it they are paying out due to some fault on your part, eg without due care, failure to maintain etc , but they can refuse to pay your loss, , and frequently do . HTSH

#19 gloryhornet

gloryhornet

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Resident Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 03:23 PM

Im still a but unclear, though my traffic knowlidge is poor.
If you are provisional and you are alone surely you are driving whilst otherwise in accordance. I have seized plenty of cars for peope doing same when they have no license as no license = no insurance.

i cant see why any insurance comany would entertain paying anything if someone has driven without a full license holder in the car. its definately an offence.

Surely in that kind of case you seized the car for 'no licence' not 'no insurance'? It's the same law. This assumes of course they are named on a policy of insurance for that vehicle. If so they can't be said to have no insurance. As said above the insurance company will almost certainly refuse to pay out for anything but third party expenses but that doesn't invalidate the whole policy.

#20 The Black Rabbit

The Black Rabbit

• Resident Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 04:24 PM

The insurance company has to cover the third party liability, (by law) ,as they have taken a contract to , which if you think about it they are paying out due to some fault on your part, eg without due care, failure to maintain etc , but they can refuse to pay your loss, , and frequently do . HTSH

A contract is a mutual agreement, and both/all parties have to fulfill their part of it.

It could be deemed that the driver forfeited said 'conract', by driving on a provisional license whilst not being accompanied by a qualified driver etc, contrary to any contract made. Thus making the 'contract' null and void :unsure:

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users