• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

#1 esmith

esmith

I'm New !

• Newbie Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 01:49 AM

I was asked to attend a local police station and was interviewed by two officers. The interview consisted of an extremely weak dissection of a very precisely composed letter I had written to a local sports organisation defending myself against a minor accusation of misbehaviour, implicating their own employee. I asked the constable the name of his superior officer. He moved uncomfortably in his seat and said that his superior had no knowledge of this interview and that he was acting on behalf of the aforementioned organisation to give me a warning. Essentially he wanted me to stop defending myself. He behaved in a consistently intimidating and mildly abusive manner. When he saw he was getting nowhere, he changed tack and told me that the organisation were trying to protect an extremely vulnerable employee. In fact there is a vulnerable individual involved.

He told me I would be banned because I represented a risk to this person while insisting that I had done absolutely nothing wrong. He didn't say why I was a risk. I received a letter next day indeed telling me I had been banned.

I would love to believe the management of this organisation is protecting their employee, but the more likely truth is that they are protecting themselves from the fact that this female employee followed me round their premises for weeks and months on end. The management knew what she was doing and they chose to ignore it. Because she was emotionally vulnerable, I didn't complain or tell her to go away. This has a basis in sexual attraction.

Is the man legally guilty of impersonating a police officer as he wasn't acting on behalf of the police force at the time ? The interview took place in a waiting area through which officers passed through constantly and almost certainly never officially took place. I handed over a card (put through my door) with the names of the officers to the desk officer when I arrived.

Any advice ?

#2 devil

devil

UKPoliceOnline Staff

• Moderators
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 04:30 AM

Any advice ?

You get legal advice from a solicitor.

And

No he/she isn't impersonating a police officer if they are one.

#3 Mark.

Mark.

UKPOLICEONLINE Full Member

• Resident Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 07:42 AM

As Devil said, seek Legal Advice from your lawyer, and again as Devil :devil: (LOL) You can not impersonate a Police Officer if they are already one.

#4 oddbod

oddbod

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Newbie Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 07:53 AM

Any advice ?

Don't write any more letters, find a new hobby.

#5 Sect172

Sect172

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Senior Resident Members
  • 601 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 07:59 AM

Ongoing case. No more advice other than what's been said already.

#6 Sub-seven

Sub-seven

UKPOLICEONLINE Icon

• 4,960 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:19 AM

I don't have any superior officers - only senior ones...

#7 Poolcue

Poolcue

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Resident Members
  • 479 posts
  • Interests:Field Testing, Writing, Triathlon, X training, Social Media marketing.

Posted 11 April 2011 - 09:59 AM

:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

#8 Dell

Dell

• Resident Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 10:31 AM

Is the man legally guilty of impersonating a police officer as he wasn't acting on behalf of the police force at the time ?

No, he is a Police Officer - end of story.

I challenged a group of vermin on the train last night due to their behaviour, pointing out their behaviour was unacceptable, showing my warrant card and promising to arrest the ringleader for S5 POA if he kept up his behaviour. I likewise did not speak to my supervision before doing this, I had no such order to do this etc - it's not impersonation, it's called doing your job.

#9 esmith

esmith

I'm New !

• Newbie Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 10:46 AM

Many thanks for the replies.

Firstly I actually said 'senior officer' because I have heard the 'superior' thing before, possibly on TV.

The title was deliberately designed to be 'interesting'. He was 'impersonating' an on duty police officer.

I cannot afford legal advice. I am unemployed but have savings so am ineligible for legal aid. I may go to Citizen's Advice.

The Sports Centre is an offshoot of the local council and one of my area councillors is a member of the committee, so she is the perfect person to speak to. To be honest, I am most concerned about this policeman and my personal safety. I will ensure that as many people as possible know his name before I take further action. The actions of the chief executive of the Leisure company were of truly astounding stupidity, ditto the policeman. One of the problems here is that I live at a working class address. It is a cheap detached house, perfect for making music (15 years ago when I bought it). He met me once at a neighbour's house. There was local trouble and the people in the street collectively asked me to write letters for them. He sneered at me when he mentioned it. That was pure snobbery. He treated me as if I was an idiot and wouldn't listen when I told him I would go above his head. I am an unemployed computer programming/software engineering lecturer.

#10 esmith

esmith

I'm New !

• Newbie Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 10:57 AM

No, he is a Police Officer - end of story.

I challenged a group of vermin on the train last night due to their behaviour, pointing out their behaviour was unacceptable, showing my warrant card and promising to arrest the ringleader for S5 POA if he kept up his behaviour. I likewise did not speak to my supervision before doing this, I had no such order to do this etc - it's not impersonation, it's called doing your job.

Dell. There is no resemblance between the two situations. It is quite possible that this man will not be a police officer in the not too distant future. Calling members of the public 'vermin' in a public forum is not helpful to the image of the police, especially when you read the last paragraph of my previous message. I won't repeat my expressed opinions of this officer, because it would certainly offend.

Edited by esmith, 11 April 2011 - 10:58 AM.

#11 Black Rat

Black Rat

UKPoliceOnline Admin

• Admin
  • 7,287 posts
  • Interests:IT and Computing, Website Design, Martial Arts (Karate) and DJ'ing

Posted 11 April 2011 - 11:28 AM

Esmith

If you are overly concerned that the officers actions were wrong then please put a complaint into the local constabulary that dealt with you on this occasion

It is not right for comments to be made here when the officer is not here to give their side of the facts but then I doubt they would discuss such an issue publicly anyway

If you don't wish to complain contact the officer again and express your concern to them

#12 Dell

Dell

• Resident Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 12:33 PM

There is a resembalance. Your problem appears to be, ultimately - because you've been banned from a sports centre for whatever reason. You appeared to have issue with the fact that the Officer did this without 'representing his police force.' In the situation I just mentioned I likewise, did not 'represent my police force' in the same you way say the other officer did not represent his.

Oh, and I called this particular group of people 'vermin' because they were. Do you think spitting on the floor, screaming and shouting, kicking people's seats, making snide comments about other users of the train - are all examples of acceptable behaviour? When you've done our job for just one day, then you can tell me off for calling people like that 'vermin' - I won't treat people with respect if they demonstrate they are incapable of treating others with respect.

Bit of common sense.

#13 esmith

esmith

I'm New !

• Newbie Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 02:03 PM

Esmith

If you are overly concerned that the officers actions were wrong then please put a complaint into the local constabulary that dealt with you on this occasion

It is not right for comments to be made here when the officer is not here to give their side of the facts but then I doubt they would discuss such an issue publicly anyway

If you don't wish to complain contact the officer again and express your concern to them

Thanks. I haven't named anyone. I am only telling my side of the story. The story could be anywhere from truth to fantasy to lies on an internet forum. It's really a hypothetical situation for anyone replying. I was interested in what people thought of an unofficial interview in a police station where no notes were taken. I really don't trust the individual himself to be honest.

#14 Sub-seven

Sub-seven

UKPOLICEONLINE Icon

• 4,960 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 02:15 PM

If you are unhappy with what he has done, complain to his force.

I don't trust you that much either with your approach so far....

#15 esmith

esmith

I'm New !

• Newbie Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 02:35 PM

There is a resembalance. Your problem appears to be, ultimately - because you've been banned from a sports centre for whatever reason. You appeared to have issue with the fact that the Officer did this without 'representing his police force.' In the situation I just mentioned I likewise, did not 'represent my police force' in the same you way say the other officer did not represent his.

Oh, and I called this particular group of people 'vermin' because they were. Do you think spitting on the floor, screaming and shouting, kicking people's seats, making snide comments about other users of the train - are all examples of acceptable behaviour? When you've done our job for just one day, then you can tell me off for calling people like that 'vermin' - I won't treat people with respect if they demonstrate they are incapable of treating others with respect.

Bit of common sense.

The difference is that the officer told me that I hadn't done anything wrong, never mind breaking the law. I certainly wouldn't want to be a policemen and neither do the policemen I have spoken to privately.

#16 esmith

esmith

I'm New !

• Newbie Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 02:49 PM

If you are unhappy with what he has done, complain to his force.

I don't trust you that much either with your approach so far....

Sub-seven

When I wrote expressing concern to the local divisional commander over the incidents last year, nothing was done. When I wrote to a local MSP, it was sorted out in a few days. That's why I am not complaining to the police directly. There are elections in Scotland coming up, so we have no MSPs at the moment. It actually isn't a really serious issue. However, I have a perfect lifetime record of not getting into trouble with any organisation including work or police. I don't like that being stained. That's all.

Apart from a drunk driving conviction when I was 19 (at time when a lot of people did it). I just remembered !!

Edited by esmith, 11 April 2011 - 02:50 PM.

#17 Fishy

Fishy

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• 581 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 03:43 PM

Apart from a drunk driving conviction when I was 19 (at time when a lot of people did it)

Oh, that's alright then. You seem like just the kind of idiot I regularly comes across who has an excuse for everything he does, albeit a poor one. The force probably didn't do anything because they would have looked at your complaint, laughed and then filed it. Look at the bigger picture and get on with your life.

#18 ammo

ammo

UKPOLICEONLINE Veteran

• Power User (Enhanced)+
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 06:59 PM

I asked the constable the name of his superior officer. He moved uncomfortably in his seat and said that his superior had no knowledge of this interview and that he was acting on behalf of the aforementioned organisation to give me a warning.

Many thanks for the replies.

Firstly I actually said 'senior officer' because I have heard the 'superior' thing before, possibly on TV.

The title was deliberately designed to be 'interesting'. He was 'impersonating' an on duty police officer.

You did say superior!

Anyway, this whole situation seems to be one where you've decided to tell us some of the facts in the hope someone on here will give you the endorsement you're looking for. Never mind.

#19 esmith

esmith

I'm New !

• Newbie Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 07:09 PM

You did say superior!

Anyway, this whole situation seems to be one where you've decided to tell us some of the facts in the hope someone on here will give you the endorsement you're looking for. Never mind.

In real life I said 'senior officer'. I don't understand your point. Never mind.

Oh, that's alright then. You seem like just the kind of idiot I regularly comes across who has an excuse for everything he does, albeit a poor one. The force probably didn't do anything because they would have looked at your complaint, laughed and then filed it. Look at the bigger picture and get on with your life.

Right said Fred. LOL !!

What happemned is that that he passed the letter to the useless women inspector who was causing the problem. The MSP kicked their arses.

Edited by esmith, 11 April 2011 - 07:12 PM.

#20 Sub-seven

Sub-seven

UKPOLICEONLINE Icon

• 4,960 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:33 PM

I doubt it - Mods, please lock this.

This is not an advice shop and I doubt that we will be able to give the OP the answers that he wants in his ever changing sequence of events.

"In real life", I get enough of dealing with this sort person at work and I do not expect to deal with them here.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users