#1 OFFLINE   Fox

Fox

I'm New !

• Resident Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 01:03 AM

I need some help

I would like to know if I get a Shuriken (ninja star) in the UK....

So I was planing to buy one from the Internet from the USA and get it posted to my door? but is this allowed??

I am over 18 just so you know.

Thank You
-Fox

Edit: Just so you know it would be for personal use in a personal home and it will never leave my home.

Edited by Fox, 11 July 2011 - 01:07 AM.

#2 OFFLINE   Millo

Millo

UKPOLICEONLINE Associate Member

• Resident Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 02:15 AM

They are an offensive weapon. I know if I saw you with them I'd nick you.

#3 OFFLINE   Fox

Fox

I'm New !

• Resident Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 02:27 AM

They are an offensive weapon. I know if I saw you with them I'd nick you.

But like I said I will never take them out with me they will stay in my house at all times !

#4 OFFLINE   SimonT

SimonT

-

• Account Closed
  • 7,290 posts
  • Interests:police, climbing

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:38 AM

not an offwep inside. You may have trouble getting them in though. Try throwing knives,.

#5 OFFLINE   Jaydee

Jaydee

UKPOLICEONLINE Master

• Senior Resident Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,253 posts
  • Interests:Rugby, swimming, athletics, playing the drums and I have a keen interest in engineering.

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:46 AM

As previously mentioned they would be classed as an offensive weapon if ever found in public but in your own home is fine. Expect a few raised eyebrows if the police ever go into your home for any reason though!

#6 OFFLINE   Kraxein

Kraxein

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • Interests:anything that requires physical activity, such as running, walking, climbing, martial arts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:57 AM

theres an online store in the uk that sells them.

i think black eagle sells replica training equipment, such as bokkens, ninja stars, kusarigamas,

ever thought of bo shurikes, smaller, and sometimes come with a nice wrist strap :clapping:

i know you said they'd never leave your home, so why get them, are you training on your property with them??

#7 OFFLINE   Fox

Fox

I'm New !

• Resident Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:34 AM

not an offwep inside. You may have trouble getting them in though. Try throwing knives,.

throwing knives I can get anywhere in the UK There very easy to get as long as your 18 :)
But there nothing to a ninja star + I have one

As previously mentioned they would be classed as an offensive weapon if ever found in public but in your own home is fine. Expect a few raised eyebrows if the police ever go into your home for any reason though!

Ye I was thinking of the same thing but I have never had the police other before.

theres an online store in the uk that sells them.

i think black eagle sells replica training equipment, such as bokkens, ninja stars, kusarigamas,

ever thought of bo shurikes, smaller, and sometimes come with a nice wrist strap :clapping:

i know you said they'd never leave your home, so why get them, are you training on your property with them??

I looked on that site and cant seem to find them? Yes they would be for training Case do right now I have 5 ninja stars 3 rubber and 2 plastic but they suck as do when I throw them they do not stick :( I tried adding wet paint so at lest I see where they hit but that makes them heavy.

I find it silly how we can buy swords and throwing knifes but not a Shuriken

Must ask if I was to buy a Shuriken (Ninja star) and it was stopped at customs would they just locked it up & destroy it? Or would they track me down?? And would something happen Eg Jail,Record,etc...

Thank You
-Fox

#8 OFFLINE   nigeltm

nigeltm

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• PipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 12:38 PM

THIS LINK will open a PDF used as guidance by the HMRC. It sets out the weapons which can and cannot be imported to the UK. It refers to the Criminal Justice Act 1988 Orders 1988 and lists specific offensive weapons. A shuriken is on the list. The guidance says any found by Customs are to be siezed and disposed of. There is no specific instruction in the guidance about detaining the person or handing on to the Police and certainly nothing about hunting you down :sweatingbullets::) :wacko:

However!

There is a specific exception for curved swords over 50cm (katana) for "sporting activities" (and martial arts is an example given in the guidance). It isn't clear in the guidance but this may extend to other named offensive weapons.

It's worth noting that in the CJA 1988 it says;

Offensive weapons.

1)Any person who manufactures, sells or hires or offers for sale or hire, exposes or has in his possession for the purpose of sale or hire, or lends or gives to any other person, a weapon to which this section applies shall be guilty of an offence and liable .

So in one part the shuriken is listed as an offensive weapon and in another it states that it is an offence to sell an offensive weapon. So I'd be suprised if you'll be able to buy one in the UK (or from a UK website). You can try importing it but don't be suprised if you get a letter from the HMRC informing you that it has been seized and you can then try and prove it's for "sporting activities" so it can be sent on to you.

#9 OFFLINE   Fox

Fox

I'm New !

• Resident Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 12:59 PM

THIS LINK will open a PDF used as guidance by the HMRC. It sets out the weapons which can and cannot be imported to the UK. It refers to the Criminal Justice Act 1988 Orders 1988 and lists specific offensive weapons. A shuriken is on the list. The guidance says any found by Customs are to be siezed and disposed of. There is no specific instruction in the guidance about detaining the person or handing on to the Police and certainly nothing about hunting you down :sweatingbullets::) :wacko:

However!

There is a specific exception for curved swords over 50cm (katana) for "sporting activities" (and martial arts is an example given in the guidance). It isn't clear in the guidance but this may extend to other named offensive weapons.

It's worth noting that in the CJA 1988 it says;

So in one part the shuriken is listed as an offensive weapon and in another it states that it is an offence to sell an offensive weapon. So I'd be suprised if you'll be able to buy one in the UK (or from a UK website). You can try importing it but don't be suprised if you get a letter from the HMRC informing you that it has been seized and you can then try and prove it's for "sporting activities" so it can be sent on to you.

Thank you nigeltm for this :D
You really helped me out And thank you so much for cutting down this PDF to the parts that are needed that saves me some time reading :clapping:
I may as well try and buy one! to see if I get lucky I may not but I may do and like you said "There is no specific instruction in the guidance about detaining the person or handing on to the Police and certainly nothing about hunting you down" So now I feel better :thumbsup: and if I do get a letter I will phone them and tell them it is for sports / training etc...

Got to ask if I had a gun license would I be allowed them then?

Thank You
-Fox

Edited by Fox, 11 July 2011 - 01:00 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   Kraxein

Kraxein

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • Interests:anything that requires physical activity, such as running, walking, climbing, martial arts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 02:08 PM

i have a question, like Fox, i am interested in training with martial art weapons, if i actually trained at a dojo that catered for those weapons, would i then be legally allowed to own that weapon, if i had sufficient evidence to prove i was only using them for training.

#11 OFFLINE   Fox

Fox

I'm New !

• Resident Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 02:28 PM

i have a question, like Fox, i am interested in training with martial art weapons, if i actually trained at a dojo that catered for those weapons, would i then be legally allowed to own that weapon, if i had sufficient evidence to prove i was only using them for training.

This is what I have been told (So it may not be true I do not know much about that) I have friends who are black belts in ninjutsu (Why of the ninja :ph34r: ) And they have Shurikens I asked where they got them from and they said "I can not tell you as they are banned in the UK But I know of a place but I will not tell you unless your black belt" So maybe if you train at the right dojo and ask when your a high rank they MAY tell you... But right now I am doing Budo case its close by and they train with swords but Well you know I can get a sword anywhere even in the UK All I got to be is 18

-Fox

#12 OFFLINE   nigeltm

nigeltm

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• PipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 03:24 PM

Fox I think your mates are being all Ninja mysterious! :whistle2:

I've dabbled in a few martial arts (including Ninjutsu) until I settled on one that suited me. Although I don't train any more I still knock around with a few guys who do, including my uncle who is a 4th or 5th dan Aikido instructor who trains with his master in Japan every year. He takes his swords with him every time and has brought back a few new ones. We've discussed the changes in legislation and I've done quite a bit of digging (including chatting with a few of the guys on here). Despite the media bull and misinformation all martial arts weapons can be owned and imported if the person can prove they are for a legitimate reason. In this case the "sporting activity" of training in martial arts.

No, you do not need a license for a katana. Yes, you can carry it back and fore to the dojo without fear of conviction. You would be in trouble if you wandered into the pub for a coke on the way back from the dojo with a sword bag over your shoulder! If you show some caution and common sense you should be OK. Don't draw attention to yourself and take the weapons directly too and from training (lock them in the car if you do pop into the shops) and you should be OK. You may still get stopped by an Officer but if you can justify having the weapons and explain where you are going then you should be OK. Just bare in mind that you may still be arrested or have the weapons confiscated if the Officer isn't satisfied with your explination!

PS: thanks for the credit but I didnt edit the PDF it just came that way

PPS: just to be clear I'm a MoP, not an Officer or in the legal trade, so I may not be 100% right in my answers but I don't think I'm far off the mark (and I'm sure someone will pop up and correct me if I'm wrong!)

PPPS: (I'm running out of "P"s here!) A firearms or shotgun license only covers you for the firearm/shotgun. While it may show you have some good character it has no impact on the ownership of a weapon. Get caught with a shuriken in the boozer on a Friday night and you're scr*wed!

Edited for speeling!

Edited by nigeltm, 11 July 2011 - 05:00 PM.

#13 OFFLINE   Fox

Fox

I'm New !

• Resident Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 05:35 PM

Fox I think your mates are being all Ninja mysterious! :whistle2:

I've dabbled in a few martial arts (including Ninjutsu) until I settled on one that suited me. Although I don't train any more I still knock around with a few guys who do, including my uncle who is a 4th or 5th dan Aikido instructor who trains with his master in Japan every year. He takes his swords with him every time and has brought back a few new ones. We've discussed the changes in legislation and I've done quite a bit of digging (including chatting with a few of the guys on here). Despite the media bull and misinformation all martial arts weapons can be owned and imported if the person can prove they are for a legitimate reason. In this case the "sporting activity" of training in martial arts.

No, you do not need a license for a katana. Yes, you can carry it back and fore to the dojo without fear of conviction. You would be in trouble if you wandered into the pub for a coke on the way back from the dojo with a sword bag over your shoulder! If you show some caution and common sense you should be OK. Don't draw attention to yourself and take the weapons directly too and from training (lock them in the car if you do pop into the shops) and you should be OK. You may still get stopped by an Officer but if you can justify having the weapons and explain where you are going then you should be OK. Just bare in mind that you may still be arrested or have the weapons confiscated if the Officer isn't satisfied with your explination!

PS: thanks for the credit but I didnt edit the PDF it just came that way

PPS: just to be clear I'm a MoP, not an Officer or in the legal trade, so I may not be 100% right in my answers but I don't think I'm far off the mark (and I'm sure someone will pop up and correct me if I'm wrong!)

PPPS: (I'm running out of "P"s here!) A firearms or shotgun license only covers you for the firearm/shotgun. While it may show you have some good character it has no impact on the ownership of a weapon. Get caught with a shuriken in the boozer on a Friday night and you're scr*wed!

Edited for speeling!

Thanks for the info about the katana :clapping: I was going to ask about that as well :)

Well thanks for finding and linking the PDF for me really helped and I am reading more in to it so I know more about what / cant be in the UK
Ah I thought a firearms license would cover that :doh:

Thanks for helping me :) Thank You all :wub:

-Fox

#14 OFFLINE   Fritz@Customs

Fritz@Customs

UKPOLICEONLINE Full Member

• Resident Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:54 PM

Thank you nigeltm for this :D
You really helped me out And thank you so much for cutting down this PDF to the parts that are needed that saves me some time reading :clapping:
I may as well try and buy one! to see if I get lucky I may not but I may do and like you said "There is no specific instruction in the guidance about detaining the person or handing on to the Police and certainly nothing about hunting you down" So now I feel better :thumbsup: and if I do get a letter I will phone them and tell them it is for sports / training etc...

The guidance in the PDF does also mention offence action which can be taken under sections 50, 167 and 170 of the Customs and Excise Management Act 1979. You can be arrested under all three sections.

As with all potential offences, the action taken will depend on the circumstances of each importation, but I have been on knocks where importers of these types of offensive weapons have been arrested and, ultimately, charged and not all of them were repeat offenders. Since the Govt are particularly sensitive about offensive weapon crimes at the moment, expect enforcement action to be increasingly likely.

There is no sporting exemption for shurikens. They are point blank illegal to import into the UK unless they qualify for one of the listed defences.

Hope this helps

#15 OFFLINE   Kraxein

Kraxein

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 09:00 PM

@fox: your mates are talking ######, they used bike gears lol, like i told you.

@Nigeltm: :smiley_notworthy: you are my new hero, and thanks for the tip on the transportation and legal ownership of a katana as i wish to begin training in kendo or something along the similar lines, theres a place in aigburth that does it.

#16 OFFLINE   Fox

Fox

I'm New !

• Resident Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 01:42 AM

The guidance in the PDF does also mention offence action which can be taken under sections 50, 167 and 170 of the Customs and Excise Management Act 1979. You can be arrested under all three sections.

As with all potential offences, the action taken will depend on the circumstances of each importation, but I have been on knocks where importers of these types of offensive weapons have been arrested and, ultimately, charged and not all of them were repeat offenders. Since the Govt are particularly sensitive about offensive weapon crimes at the moment, expect enforcement action to be increasingly likely.

There is no sporting exemption for shurikens. They are point blank illegal to import into the UK unless they qualify for one of the listed defences.

Hope this helps

Yes it helps :)

So I may get arrested? Or dose it deepen on the weapon & person I even I have not been arrested or had a recorded on me am clean...
You said "unless they qualify for one of the listed defences." Where in the PDF is this? I cant seem to find it :sorry: Eg what page and such?

Thank You
-Fox

@Kraxein I can not tell but I would not say bike gears maybe a cut saw blade but if anything they are sh** as do they are heavy and just fall fast... And I cant ask / see them as do he lives way out of London.

#17 OFFLINE   Kraxein

Kraxein

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:04 AM

So I may get arrested? Or dose it deepen on the weapon & person I even I have not been arrested or had a recorded on me am clean...
You said "unless they qualify for one of the listed defences." Where in the PDF is this? I cant seem to find it :sorry: Eg what page and such?

Thank You
-Fox

@Kraxein I can not tell but I would not say bike gears maybe a cut saw blade but if anything they are sh** as do they are heavy and just fall fast... And I cant ask / see them as do he lives way out of London.

he's not a ninja...he's a ninjer...does he happen to be the this guy.

http://www.realultimatepower.net/

if they fall and don't go far, then they're not shurikens lol

#18 OFFLINE   Fritz@Customs

Fritz@Customs

• Resident Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 12:38 PM

Thank You
-Fox

Fox

Defences for all CJA weapons are listed at the bottom of page 7 and top of page 8, with additional defences for curved swords only continuing on page 8.

With regards to the likelihood of arrest, type and quantity of weapon, previous convictions, etc are taken into account, but I wouldn't want you to think that a first time import by a person of previous good character won't lead to arrest. The same as for a police officer detecting possession of an offensive weapon on the street, the bottom line is the weapon is illegal to import and thus renders the importer liable to arrest. If getting arrested for this, or any other crime, (and maybe charged) is likely to affect your life or job prospects badly, why risk it?

#19 OFFLINE   Kraxein

Kraxein

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 02:19 PM

in the PDF they missed out the foot claws, although it's understandable as they are impractical in most sense, but the covered the kusarigama and manrikigusari :sorry:

if i wished to buy a katana for display purposes, would my defence fall under the purposes of displaying in a gallery.

as i cannot see a point where i would use an actual katana in kendo :whistle2:

#20 OFFLINE   Fritz@Customs

Fritz@Customs

• Resident Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 02:39 PM

in the PDF they missed out the foot claws, although it's understandable as they are impractical in most sense, but the covered the kusarigama and manrikigusari :sorry:

if i wished to buy a katana for display purposes, would my defence fall under the purposes of displaying in a gallery.

as i cannot see a point where i would use an actual katana in kendo :whistle2:

Short answer - no.

A gallery has a recognised meaning, in the same way that "museum" does. You'd be hard pressed to convince a court that your home was a gallery (unless you really did live in a draughty hall, surrounded by exhibits, open to the general public for their viewing and appreciation)

#21 OFFLINE   Kraxein

Kraxein

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:11 AM

Short answer - no.

A gallery has a recognised meaning, in the same way that "museum" does. You'd be hard pressed to convince a court that your home was a gallery (unless you really did live in a draughty hall, surrounded by exhibits, open to the general public for their viewing and appreciation)

so i guess i'd have to try and find a martial arts that required a katana.

on another note, i am gutted that shikomizue's are prohibited, they're just so awesome.

Edited by Kraxein, 13 July 2011 - 08:12 AM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users