• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 kenworthy

kenworthy

UKPoliceOnline Legend

• UKPoliceOnline Reporter
  • 18,238 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 11:01 AM

When businessman Steve Coupland fought off a violent burglar breaking into his van, the Crown Prosecution Service insisted he should be charged.

But after a 12-month fight to clear his name, the case has collapsed – because career criminal Matthew Higgins refused to give evidence against him, saying he ‘got what he deserved’.

Mr Coupland, who has never previously been in trouble with the police, had seen his van targeted by thieves on 13 occasions – including the two nights before the incident – and tackled the burglar only after he was attacked with a crowbar.

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz1aqZuqS9S

Does this thief appear to have more sense then the CPS ?

#2 gloryhornet

gloryhornet

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Resident Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 07:15 PM

It wouldn't have got as far as the day of trial without a statement of complaint in the first place. I would suggest Mr Higgins' "I deserved what I got" line possibly only popped into his head very late in the day.

#3 Fishy

Fishy

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Senior Resident Members
  • 581 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 08:44 PM

It shouldn't have got as far as a trial even if he did make a complaint. He had every right to defend his property, and as so aptly put, he deserved what he got.

#4 Kraxein

Kraxein

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• 599 posts
  • Interests:anything that requires physical activity, such as running, walking, climbing, martial arts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 12:08 PM

are the CPS that terrible they'd charge a man for simply defending himself :O

there is nothing in that news report that states he went overboard, the burglar tried to attack him with the crowbar and got beaten up, seems fair to me

Edited by Kraxein, 16 October 2011 - 12:10 PM.

#5 Fishy

Fishy

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• 581 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 03:02 PM

are the CPS that terrible they'd charge a man for simply defending himself :O

there is nothing in that news report that states he went overboard, the burglar tried to attack him with the crowbar and got beaten up, seems fair to me

I would say that because it amounted to 'GBH injuries' the CPS would have been too scared to rule it out as self defence and opted for a charge to let the decision sit with a magistrate/jury.

#6 marralass

marralass

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• 1,222 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:31 AM

I would say that because it amounted to 'GBH injuries' the CPS would have been too scared to rule it out as self defence and opted for a charge to let the decision sit with a magistrate/jury.

Well quite recently they decided not to prosecute someone who killed a burglar, so clearly some CPS are less scared than others. Or perhaps it depends on the amount of publicity a case gets.

Are the CPS the best people to be deciding on reasonable force cases? Would it perhaps be better to have a small panel of experts who are trained and experienced in dealing with violent people, who have more of an idea of what is necessary when trying to restrain a criminal or defend oneself from them?

#7 Fishy

Fishy

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• 581 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 04:45 PM

But then you could argue that you could have a small panel of 'experts' for every offence, and the defences surrounding that offence. The best people at deciding if it was reasonable self defence are independant witnesses, and failing them existing it can only fall upon the deciding person (CPS or Police).

And surely, the people most 'trained' and 'experienced' in dealing with violent people by far are the Police?

#8 Sectioned Detection

Sectioned Detection

UKPOLICEONLINE Master

• 2,572 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 09:45 PM

And surely, the people most 'trained' and 'experienced' in dealing with violent people by far are the Police?

I think that was the point Marralass was making, ask us if we think it was proportionate.

#9 stewie_griffin

stewie_griffin

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• 881 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 10:46 PM

Funny how the CPS are usually only too happy to NFA things that victims and the police would rather be decided by the courts.

#10 marralass

marralass

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• 1,222 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 06:35 AM

I think that was the point Marralass was making, ask us if we think it was proportionate.

I wasn't suggesting that police shouldn't be on the panel. I'm suggesting that the normal police investigation takes place, but then the evidence is handed to a small panel that may comprise of people like police or prison service control and restrain instructors, to decide whether it was reasonable force. The panel would either then NFA or send to court with their analysis and testify at court. This would give a more balanced view than just two solicitors arguing it out. There would still be the possibility of the investigating police/CPS NFA'ing the more obvious cases of reasonable force. The panel would just be for the more tricky cases.

#11 kenworthy

kenworthy

UKPoliceOnline Legend

• UKPoliceOnline Reporter
  • 18,238 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:42 PM

You can see more on this filmed live at the Police station Humberside!

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users