•  

Photo
- - - - -

Diversity - 6 Strands & 9 Characteristics: Help!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 2520

I'm New !

• Resident Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:35 PM

I'm currently running over the Diversity aspect of Strathclyde Police. I know it used to be the Six Strands, which caught me out as it had re-focussed the 9 Characteristics. I subsequently sourced what I could on it and am now working off of this document:

http://www.equalityh...cs-definitions/

Is there an SPF specific document which clearly explains and states the Forces intentions and implementation plans for these? All I can find is what's in the Diversity section of the main Force website as well as the Recruitment section.

http://www.strathcly...ty_Recruitment/

Which is sparse on any real details or indepth explanations as to how SPF intends to deal with these categories.

Thanks for any help offered!

#2 angel46

angel46

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Resident Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:59 PM

Don't get too hung up on it, know the 6 strands but be aware of the other 3 and what they are. I used the ACPOS info to guide me. They didn't actually ask me to name them as I had shown knowledge and awareness of them in answering another question, I had intended to name the 6 and to say that I was aware of 3 additional strands being incorporated...just know what they are and how they fit contextually into policing today....best of luck with your studies! :biggrin:

#3 2520

I'm New !

• Resident Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:30 AM

It's because I got caught out on the Intial that I'm making sure the bases are covered in case notes were taken and it crops up again in my Final.

It's very easy to get far too caught up in what you need to know, or what you think you need to know!

Cheers!

#4 angel46

angel46

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Resident Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:25 AM

Absolutely...I think we get so hung up on learning everything on the website and then some that we forget to think operationally and whereas we can't be expected to know that in any great context, showing an awareness of how the info fits into the job helps. Like yourself I made it to final, which is very much about you as a person and your experience in work and life. I took the same approach as you for final, went over all my initial notes etc which helped reinforce that knowledge and understanding on a level deeper than rote learning. It helped me feel more confident and that helped I think in the interview itself though as I say it is a different interview. Relax, be yourself, let them see who you are as that's what they're looking for to be able to make their decision. Best of luck and remember that you've made it this far so obviously they see you as good potential for the PC role!

#5 2520

I'm New !

• Resident Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:55 AM

Thanks for the encouraging words!

I'm using my study notes from my Initial and am essentially preparing as if it's another Initial but I've got a friend who's an HR bod and they're going to put me through a Competency interview with scenarios / examples of, etc. I've lots of experience to pull from but my biggest concern is that when it comes to actually thinking of an example 'when' during the interview, my mind will go blank and dribble will start to seep from the corner of my mouth as a glazed look crosses my face. :biggrin:

Oh, and my local stations are getting fed up of seeing me through the door asking questions too. I never knew how much fun could be had just touring stations and asking for advice or the latest info on campaigns / operations!

#6 angel46

angel46

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Resident Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:38 PM

Sounds to me like you are doing all the right things and having the normal pre final interview nerves...use the water they give you if you feel yourself going blank but I'm sure you won't. From my experience, every answer I gave led to the next question so felt more like a conversation than an interview. It's good to practice scenario type things and all the work will serve you well as having done it and gained the knowledge you have, you will be able to answer their questions. They say they're not out to trip you up at this stage and they mean that. It is them wanting to see the kind of person you are and that you've put the work in and it sounds to me like you are someone who is very conscientious and applied. If you do go blank, just ask them to repeat the question but also don't be afraid to say it's something you don't know...I did, I said I didn't have the operational experience to be able to answer the question fully but would make sure I found out as soon as my training started. They don't expect you to know everything and the questions they ask re scenario are to see what your opinions are as well as how you would deal with something so just remember the equality and diversity stuff and you'll be fine :biggrin: . When is your interview?

#7 2520

I'm New !

• Resident Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:36 PM

My Final is tomorrow.

I found the ACPOS website a while back too, it's proving to be a great source of information on Campaigns / Initiatives, etc.

Just refreshing myself on the Pensions aspects as I know there's a lot going on in the pipelines with that. Oh, and the Police Reform too.

Argh. :)

#8 angel46

angel46

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Resident Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:00 PM

Yeah going to have a wee read at the report on the pensions myself, I mentioned the new Single Force at some point in my final too, not in any great depth although I had prepped cases for and against...breifly. I think that was enough to show them I was at least aware of it. You sound prepped and ready to go. I know how you will be feeling tonight, just try and think that this time tomorrow you'll be on the ceiling somewhere and it will all be over. Best of luck, don't be afraid to sell yourself confidently, they obviously saw in you something they see as good potential to have put you through to final, I am sure you'll be fine. Deep breaths and it will go by quicker than you think.

#9 project46

project46

UKPOLICEONLINE Associate Member

• Resident Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Interests:Middle Distance Running, Reading, Technology, Skiing

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:16 PM

Good luck

#10 rookieb

rookieb

UKPOLICEONLINE New Member

• Resident Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:48 AM

How did it go ?!?!?

#11 project46

project46

• Resident Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:11 PM

Since it's been changed from the 6 strands of diversity to include 9 strands, what's the new name thats been given? I was told today but for the life of me I can't remember

#12 project46

project46

• Resident Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:57 AM

Found it out, it's the nine protected characteristics.

#13 2520

I'm New !

• Resident Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:38 AM

Yay. :)

They didn't even ask me it. Still, glad I had it in my head anyway.

Roll on Tulliallan!

Thanks for your help angel46!

#14 angel46

angel46

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Resident Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:54 PM

Yay. :)

They didn't even ask me it. Still, glad I had it in my head anyway.

Roll on Tulliallan!

Thanks for your help angel46!

Hey brilliant news!!! well done! you got a start date for Tulli yet?

#15 2520

I'm New !

• Resident Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:17 PM

9th of May, so will be phoning for my clothing date later this week.

Does anyone happen to have a Definitions booklet kicking around? I've been advised to get my head into one ASAP to make it easier come testing time and as I left my previous employment to join Strathclyde I've got the spare time to do so.

#16 kevmch

kevmch

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Resident Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:26 AM

There is a free definitions app for android and I dare say apple will have it too, only thing is. It for English forces, but it would get your mind into the basics I guess. I found it ok to get used to some of the stuff

#17 rookieb

rookieb

• Resident Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:47 AM

Great News 2520 !!!!!

Well done. Was it just a get to know you interview ?

#18 2520

I'm New !

• Resident Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:20 PM

Bit of everything rookieb, it was fairly enjoyable actually. As they said at the start, they're not out to fail you, they just want to see what you're made of.

Just waiting for the Beat Officers Companion to come out now. The new version is released at the end of April and it's been highlighted as a must-buy:

http://www.bookdepos...panion-20122013

#19 cleetis7

cleetis7

• Resident Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:29 PM

Hey 2520 see u may 9th. Passed medical so only run to do now !!!

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users