• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Anna32

Anna32

UKPOLICEONLINE Master

• Power User (Lifetime)++
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:37 PM

Considering resigning from the police service? This topic is for discussing your options and your future plans.

#2 bongos

bongos

I'm New !

• Resident Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:20 PM

Don't do it!
I resigned 4 years ago after nearly 10 years service and I can say it was the biggest mistake I've ever made with hindsight! The private sector is ruthless and finding decent jobs that pay anywhere near the Police is near impossible with 100's and sometimes 1000's applying for them. Most company's now only papersift the first couple of dozen applications as they have not got time to go through them all and can usually find someone at the front.
I know I whinged alot when I was on the job but having seen the dark side I know where my bread was buttered so to speak. Things ain't perfect but at least you're putting away for the future and time runs out quickly when your desperate.
I thought I would have no problem rejoining and saw this as a backup plan but I did'nt bank on the recession and the fact that once you leave the service no one wants to know you or help. Tough cookie. Your on your own.

Hope this isn't too depressing a picture? :g:

#3 gripper

gripper

UKPOLICEONLINE Guru

• Senior Resident Members
  • 2,764 posts
  • Interests:Monkey hanging!

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:27 PM

And don't the Government know it!

#4 bongos

bongos

I'm New !

• Resident Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:59 PM

And don't the Government know it!

Too right they do!

My only comment would be that if I manage to rejoin now, that would leave me about 25 years to do at the current pensionable rate. Governments, Chiefs, Politicians all come and go! Things will constantly change albeit that they are on a mighty downer right now!

We live in hope.

#5 firepower

firepower

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Power User (Enhanced)+
  • 442 posts
  • Interests:Art. Wildlife Management. Politics.

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:50 PM

This may be an awkward question but. Why are senior officer that are "caught out" allowed to retire rather than being sacked form their jobs? This is not a "police bashing" question as other ranks are fired and castigated for wrongdoing while in the job. What is the difference between the upper and lower ranks when it comes to this anomaly?

#6 firepower

firepower

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Power User (Enhanced)+
  • 442 posts
  • Interests:Art. Wildlife Management. Politics.

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:31 PM

Obviously so awkward that no one wants to answer me :blink:

#7 Echelon

Echelon

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:55 PM

Obvious really because they are probably in the same lodge as those investigating them or sitting in judgement of them :whistling:

#8 DoubleG

DoubleG

UKPOLICEONLINE Full Member

• Resident Members
  • 266 posts
  • Interests:Baddies

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:57 AM

What is the difference between the upper and lower ranks when it comes to this anomaly?

....about £100000

#9 popularfurball

popularfurball

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:18 AM

They generally have to have a pays out also as they are in office for a contracted time - like a football manager gets paid off when sacked.

#10 Alan Partridge

Alan Partridge

I'm New !

• Newbie Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:16 PM

Don't do it!
I resigned 4 years ago after nearly 10 years service and I can say it was the biggest mistake I've ever made with hindsight! The private sector is ruthless and finding decent jobs that pay anywhere near the Police is near impossible with 100's and sometimes 1000's applying for them. Most company's now only papersift the first couple of dozen applications as they have not got time to go through them all and can usually find someone at the front.
I know I whinged alot when I was on the job but having seen the dark side I know where my bread was buttered so to speak. Things ain't perfect but at least you're putting away for the future and time runs out quickly when your desperate.
I thought I would have no problem rejoining and saw this as a backup plan but I did'nt bank on the recession and the fact that once you leave the service no one wants to know you or help. Tough cookie. Your on your own.

Hope this isn't too depressing a picture? :g:

Why resign unless you had something else of equal footing to go to?

Your circumstances mirror mine exactly in so much as I left 4 years ago after 10 years service and its the best thing I ever did. But I resigned to go to another job, I find it quite bizzare that you resigned and then were surpised that you couldn't just walk into another job with the same pay and conditions.

#11 basilbrush

basilbrush

I'm New !

• Newbie Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:13 AM

Why resign unless you had something else of equal footing to go to?

Your circumstances mirror mine exactly in so much as I left 4 years ago after 10 years service and its the best thing I ever did. But I resigned to go to another job, I find it quite bizzare that you resigned and then were surpised that you couldn't just walk into another job with the same pay and conditions.

What did you do after you resigned?

#12 carlos the jackal

carlos the jackal

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:25 AM

Sure, there are plenty of really crap things about the job but having worked at other things before joining I realize that it is still a good number...

I'd advise anyone thinking of going to go on a career break first just to test the water.  There is a good reason why thousands of people apply for each vacancy and its not just the uniform and blue light runs.

Everyone goes through periods of being really f**cked off with work, I've been through a few myself...

Think carefully before you put your papers in!

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users