858 replies to this topic

#1 potentialrecruit2012

potentialrecruit2012

UKPOLICEONLINE Full Member

• Resident Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:27 PM

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone managed to get through to Derbyshire last week and get allocated an application pack? I'm on the session at Ripley HQ on the 26th May. Would be nice to speak to people who are going through the recruitment process :)

Thanks!

#2 jacko6686

jacko6686

UKPOLICEONLINE Trooper

• Senior Resident Members
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:05 PM

Hey, I'am on the 26th session at Ripley too. I've got my questions sorted and ready so hopefully I should be able to send my application striaght off.

#3 potentialrecruit2012

potentialrecruit2012

• Resident Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:46 PM

Ah that's great! Same for me with the answers :) Hopefully my examples will be good enough - My name's Emma and I'm just finishing my MA in Social Work. Have always wanted to be in the Police but unfortunately due to the recruitment freeze this is the first time I've been able to apply! I've never been a special but have worked in mental health and child protection before so hopefully I will have some good skills to bring to the table!! I see you're from West Yorks, I'm from Lancashire - it's nice to see a northern contingent!

What day did you get through on the phone lines?

#4 jacko6686

jacko6686

UKPOLICEONLINE Trooper

• 1,801 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:29 PM

Ah that's great! Same for me with the answers :) Hopefully my examples will be good enough - My name's Emma and I'm just finishing my MA in Social Work. Have always wanted to be in the Police but unfortunately due to the recruitment freeze this is the first time I've been able to apply! I've never been a special but have worked in mental health and child protection before so hopefully I will have some good skills to bring to the table!! I see you're from West Yorks, I'm from Lancashire - it's nice to see a northern contingent!

What day did you get through on the phone lines?

Lol I know i'am making myself paranoid over my answesrs. My names Nik, i'am in the ambulance service at the mo, and like you, I've wanted this since forever! :-) No I haven't been a special but I believe I do have some qualities I can bring to the job.

Lol yeah we need to bring some northerners to Derbyshire ;-) I rang up for all 4 hours on Wednesday, and I got through at 19:50 on Thursday, just as I was starting to lose hope!

#5 potentialrecruit2012

potentialrecruit2012

• Resident Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:08 PM

I know what you mean about losing hope - but we've got an application form so at least we have the chance to prove ourselves now! I got myself a book that gives great advice about all parts of the police application process by John mctaggart which has really helped :) just hoping and praying now to get through the paper sift!

I'm sure you'll have great examples being in the ambulance service don't worry! I'm hoping some of the situations I've been in doing social work will help as I'm only 23 :/

Only time will tell eh?! We've got a tough task ahead!

Emma :)

#6 jacko6686

jacko6686

UKPOLICEONLINE Trooper

• 1,801 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:16 PM

I know what you mean about losing hope - but we've got an application form so at least we have the chance to prove ourselves now! I got myself a book that gives great advice about all parts of the police application process by John mctaggart which has really helped :) just hoping and praying now to get through the paper sift!

I'm sure you'll have great examples being in the ambulance service don't worry! I'm hoping some of the situations I've been in doing social work will help as I'm only 23 :/

Only time will tell eh?! We've got a tough task ahead!

Emma :)

I have the same book! Not got far into it yet but it's definitely giving a good insight. I will wait and see if I get any further into the process before commiting to a assessment course.

Have thought about getting your answers checked? I think I will, a fresh pair of eyes might give some constructive criticism :-)

Oh and. I'am not much older than you! However I chose I different path ;-)

#7 potentialrecruit2012

potentialrecruit2012

• Resident Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:37 PM

Yep I definitely will, you can read something over and over again until you're blue in the face and see no spelling mistakes but then someone might check it and find several.

At the moment my partner's brother is a constable with Derbyshire and his dad was a sergeant so I'm hoping that they will have a good skim through it!

For your answers, are they all from ambulance work or are they from a variety of things you have done?

Emma

#8 jacko6686

jacko6686

UKPOLICEONLINE Trooper

• 1,801 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:49 PM

Yep I definitely will, you can read something over and over again until you're blue in the face and see no spelling mistakes but then someone might check it and find several.

At the moment my partner's brother is a constable with Derbyshire and his dad was a sergeant so I'm hoping that they will have a good skim through it!

For your answers, are they all from ambulance work or are they from a variety of things you have done?

Emma

That is definitely handy! Lol I don't have that luxury however I'll find someone :-).

A couple are from the ambulance service, but the others are from the army. I'am just abit worried they're all action and no substance haha

#9 potentialrecruit2012

potentialrecruit2012

• Resident Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:55 PM

I'm worried that mine are going to be a bit rubbish compared to the vast amounts of ex-armed forces and special constables from other areas... I go from feeling confident about them at some points to picking faults the next. But I guess they are looking for how we word things and for what we actually did in the situation aren't they. I really am too much of a perfectionist for my own good!!! Lol! I've got one example from when I was in a child protection meeting; one from when I did work with people with learning disabilities; one from when I was a manager working with children; and one from university when I dealt with an attempted suicide. Hopefully it's varied enough!!!

#10 jacko6686

jacko6686

UKPOLICEONLINE Trooper

• 1,801 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:15 PM

I'm worried that mine are going to be a bit rubbish compared to the vast amounts of ex-armed forces and special constables from other areas... I go from feeling confident about them at some points to picking faults the next. But I guess they are looking for how we word things and for what we actually did in the situation aren't they. I really am too much of a perfectionist for my own good!!! Lol! I've got one example from when I was in a child protection meeting; one from when I did work with people with learning disabilities; one from when I was a manager working with children; and one from university when I dealt with an attempted suicide. Hopefully it's varied enough!!!

It really doesn't matter what you use for your answers Emma. All you have to do is fulfil what is required. Like what it says in the book, as long as you tick the boxes, your golden.

You only have to show your character qualities. Thats why I feel mine are abit too epic.

I think we all feel like our forms aren't good enough :-) it's enough to drive you mad.

Your examples sounds really good. Just make sure you answer what is being asked of you in the mini sections.

#11 potentialrecruit2012

potentialrecruit2012

• Resident Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:18 PM

Thank you :) I am going to try my best :) this will be my first ever attempt at a police application form - and I'm going to give it 110%. And as long as you try your best that's all you can do I suppose :) I just want to pick up my form now! 26th feels ages away! I'm sure your examples will be fine too, hopefully we will both pass the sift!

#12 jacko6686

jacko6686

UKPOLICEONLINE Trooper

• 1,801 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:27 PM

Thank you :) I am going to try my best :) this will be my first ever attempt at a police application form - and I'm going to give it 110%. And as long as you try your best that's all you can do I suppose :) I just want to pick up my form now! 26th feels ages away! I'm sure your examples will be fine too, hopefully we will both pass the sift!

Well thats all anyone can ask. Try doing shifts, the time flys by lol. I'll try my best, I've gradually gotten further at each attempt!

Do you know when they might be having the first intake?

#13 dannydm1

dannydm1

I'm New !

• Newbie Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:44 AM

Hi People :-) Does anybody know wether we will receive an email or letter with details (and the location) of the chosen information session?? I realy should have asked the nice young lady on the telephone, But I was in a state of shock at actuaally getting through! Must have redialed over 1000 times.

#14 Sonj_11

Sonj_11

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:47 AM

Just a couple of tips (which are probably obvious):

1. If you find a spelling or grammar mistake don't cross out or use tipex, simply start that page again.

2. Never say 'we did this' or 'we decided that', they're looking for what you did.

3. Don't write outside of the boxes, make sure it fits.

4. If you have time, call your local station and make arrangements to visit and have a chat with one of your local neighbourhood officers and include this in the section regarding what you did to prepare.

5. Include that you know police work isn't always exciting in the bit that asks what do you think being a police officer involves

6. Make sure you say you've always had a flexible approach to work/school/university in the bit that asks how you expect it to affect your domestic and social life.

I did all of the above and was one of only 192 out 1000 to get through the paper sift for Durham.

For those wanting answers checking, I think ISP Consultancy may offer this service.

#15 potentialrecruit2012

potentialrecruit2012

• Resident Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:41 AM

Nik, I think the first intake was January from what I remember from the online surgeries on their website.

Hi Danny! The lady on the phone to me said we would get email confirmation within the week so we should be getting them soon. She said if we didn't get them then we should ring up and ask for one to be sent again through email. Its a great feeling to get through though isn't it?!

Thanks sonj_11, those are great tips :) are you going through durham's most recent intake?

Emma

#16 potentialrecruit2012

potentialrecruit2012

• Resident Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:43 AM

Ps. Which session are you on Danny?

#17 Sonj_11

Sonj_11

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:04 AM

Thanks sonj_11, those are great tips :) are you going through durham's most recent intake?

Emma

Yeah, had my final interview last Wednesday and have no fingernails left waiting for the outcome. They've said we will be notified by the weekend so the lengthy process is nearly finished.

#18 potentialrecruit2012

potentialrecruit2012

• Resident Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:07 AM

I'm sure you'll be fine! Well done though on getting through especially at the moment when it's so difficult! How many were they recruiting? What was your background before applying to the service if you don't mind me asking? :)

Emma

#19 Sonj_11

Sonj_11

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:32 AM

I'm sure you'll be fine! Well done though on getting through especially at the moment when it's so difficult! How many were they recruiting? What was your background before applying to the service if you don't mind me asking? :)

Emma

They're looking to get 54 recruits from the 192 that made it to the AC. Not sure how many in total passed but as they're recruiting in 3 batches of 18 I know they've done final interviews with 70 of us for the first 18.

I'm 33 currently working as an assistant accountant with only 3 exams of my studies left. I moved jobs about 2 years thinking I was unhappy with my job. Turns out I just don't enjoy finance, my new job was ok when I first started it as I had to spend 3 months in Aberdeen clearing up some messy accounts that the previous finance team had created. I once back from Aberdeen though and everything settled down I started to feel the same as in my old job. So decided I needed a job that would constantly challenge me not just at the start so decided policing would be perfect. Prior to finance I worked in a call centre then the technical support department of Ntl (now Virgin Media). Most of my competency based examples come from my roles at Ntl as I was dealing with customers and complaints daily.

#20 potentialrecruit2012

potentialrecruit2012

• Resident Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:57 AM

I know what you mean about wanting a job that's a challenge and different every day - unfortunately social work is a bit like that now, but I've gained some valuable experience from doing that Masters that hopefully will help me with my application form. My background is that I went to Uni at 18 to do a degree in Psychology with a view to joining the service once I had finished. Unfortunately when I graduated in 2010 the freeze was in full effect and not many places were recruiting PC's. I had enjoyed my degree but I had hoped for more contact with people and it was mainly statistics and research based :s I decided to do my MA in Social Work as I had always wanted to get my MA and with social work I was able to get the direct 1-2-1 work with people that I really wanted. In the summer holidays from Uni I worked at an activity camp for children between 7-17 and in my 3rd year there I got made a member of the management team. Recently I have worked as an advocate, supporting people with mental health problems, learning/physical disabilities and people whose families are being investigated by social services. My examples for the application form seem to be predominantly from the experiences I have had on my placements during my MA. I just hope I manage to convey the skills I have got well enough on my application form!!!

ps. well done for getting through to final interview - the waiting must be driving you crazy!!! Fingers crossed for you though :)

Emma

Edited by potentialrecruit2012, 16 May 2012 - 11:58 AM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users