• This topic is locked This topic is locked
89 replies to this topic

#81 meditate

meditate

UKPOLICEONLINE Guru

• Senior Resident Members
  • 2,901 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:18 AM

I was talking about the rape scenario, not being robbed.

#82 Moxnil

Moxnil

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Banned
  • 868 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:44 PM

So was I. What if the attacker cruelly decides to kill her afterwards, realizing that she is complying in the hopes of being let go?

What I can't seem to understand here is the attitude that it's always better to comply and hope the criminal is less nasty to you. I concede that self-defence classes wouldn't be a guarantee of victory against an attacker, but they would at least increase the chances of that. I think that "I'll take self-defence classes and try to defend myself against an attacker" is a more realistic rape survival plan than "I'll just do whatever he says and hope he lets me go afterwards".

#83 cheesedoff

cheesedoff

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• 551 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:51 PM

Moxnil, please point out where on earth any contributor to this thread has said or stated that it is ALWAYS better to comply. You on the other hand seem to think that to comply means death and you should always fight. Several contributors have put forward examples of when it would be better to either comply or not fight back. Read what people are writing and stop making things up, it's getting boring

Edited by cheesedoff, 31 August 2012 - 02:51 PM.

#84 Moxnil

Moxnil

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Banned
  • 868 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:19 PM

Moxnil, please point out where on earth any contributor to this thread has said or stated that it is ALWAYS better to comply. You on the other hand seem to think that to comply means death and you should always fight. Several contributors have put forward examples of when it would be better to either comply or not fight back. Read what people are writing and stop making things up, it's getting boring

I've not said this is the case, so it's you who is making things up at this point. Indeed, you can create any scenario which backs up your argument. Whether it would work in real life, is another matter. Maybe complying would be the best option in some cases, but even so, I'd hate for my daughter to feel she had to just to get out with her life. It just makes more logical sense for her to take preventative measures before, such as being prepared to fight back, or being armed.

When GeorgeH originally asked the question, I believe he expected a quick answer. However some officers couldn't even give an answer as to whether they'd want their own daughter to fight back, or just sit and be raped. I'm not sure if it occurred to them that the more training she had, and if she was carrying a weapon for self-defence, the harder it would be for the attacker to get her in a position where she had to comply or die.

Edited by Moxnil, 31 August 2012 - 03:32 PM.

#85 meditate

meditate

UKPOLICEONLINE Guru

• 2,901 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:37 PM

I dont think anyone is arguing with your main point. Where I take exception is expecting a yes or no answer when it is far more complex than that. Criticising someone for having a broader view and trying to force a yes or no answer when it is not that easy comes across as a bit naive IMO. As I have said before a lot depends on the people, the personalities and the situation. Defending may be the best action but, I am not going to be critical of someone who decides that they feel it is in their best interest to comply for fear of further harm. As for women going to self defence classes, most people feel rape would not happen to them and, it is not enough of an incentive to attend on a regular basis when they prefer to go to their nail painting course :whistling:

#86 cheesedoff

cheesedoff

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• 551 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:10 AM

I've not said this is the case, so it's you who is making things up at this point. Indeed, you can create any scenario which backs up your argument. Whether it would work in real life, is another matter. Maybe complying would be the best option in some cases, but even so, I'd hate for my daughter to feel she had to just to get out with her life. It just makes more logical sense for her to take preventative measures before, such as being prepared to fight back, or being armed.

When GeorgeH originally asked the question, I believe he expected a quick answer. However some officers couldn't even give an answer as to whether they'd want their own daughter to fight back, or just sit and be raped. I'm not sure if it occurred to them that the more training she had, and if she was carrying a weapon for self-defence, the harder it would be for the attacker to get her in a position where she had to comply or die.

And i quote "What I can't seem to understand here is the attitude that it's always better to comply......"
Your words not mine, it's getting boring.

#87 Moxnil

Moxnil

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Banned
  • 868 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:12 AM

And i quote "What I can't seem to understand here is the attitude that it's always better to comply......"
Your words not mine, it's getting boring.

It was a figure of speech, I thought that was obvious. As I've previously said, and which you seem to be ignoring, I would comply in certain situations I.e two attackers with a gun pointed at my head demanding my wallet.

I was disappointed that some people seemed to be using the line that "its much more complicated than a yes or no" to avoid answering tricky questions. Even when given a straightforward scenario with no variables and knowing fully what each option would result in.

#88 GeorgeH

GeorgeH

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Resident Members
  • 446 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:44 PM

I never expected a yes or no answer.

I also did not expect a "right or wrong" answer.

The original post presented a moral dilemma. But your laws made the dilemma less of a problem, so I made the problem more personal. The problem is that the responses were more generic.

#89 Chris0984

Chris0984

UKPOLICEONLINE New Member

• Resident Members
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:Watching non league football, reading, spending time with my family :)

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:25 AM

Imagine the public outcry if somebody was out committing a firearms offence, a police officer was on scene, could have ended it, and chose not too - then more people were shot...... Just a thought.... The press would crucify that officer.

#90 AndyG

AndyG

I'm New !

• Newbie Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:26 PM

Chris0984, that is exactly why I asked the question. I wasn't expecting a clear answer as it is a very tough call with potentially dire consequences for the person making that decision, regardless of the choice. 

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users