21 replies to this topic

#1 Rachel Wilson

Rachel Wilson

UKPOLICEONLINE New Member

• Resident Members
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:Politics, Law, Computing, Police

Posted 02 September 2012 - 05:55 AM

Hello everyone, I'm Rachel Wilson. I have been interested and very active in liberal, green politics for at least 11 years here in Greater Manchester. I've had a good range of experiences in this time, ranging from running a not-for-profit recycling company in partnership with our City Council, right down to being homeless for 2 and a half years through no fault of my own and having to fight the same Council in court for a year and a half for the right to decent housing (and won, obviously).

In October 2011, at the peak of my homelessness and toward the end of my court hearings, I was swept up and took a huge role in the Occupy protest, which brought to the public's attention such things as corruption in banking, government and media conflicts of interest, and generally being lied to by those who look "squeaky clean" through the lens of a camera.

I found surprising amounts of agreement, at high and low levels, in Greater Manchester Police, and began to research Manchester's history of policing thoroughly. I read about Sir Robert Peel, and the Peterloo Massacre, and was thoroughly inspired by everything I read. I spent time with the Tactical Aid Unit (as much as I could actually!) and learned about NPT, the divisions, attitudes of different police toward each other, and became more and more fascinated.

I (I would say we, as it was meant to be a democratic protest, but I didn't get much support except when I was persuading officers to give my group members alternatives to arrests after they were mildly naughty, which they did, by the way, often) worked closely with the Police to make sure we had a trouble-free protest, and the militant idiots left soon after I threatened to "push the troublemakers out of our lines into the Police, I'm not here for trouble, if you are then they can have you as far as I'm concerned. I want a Revolution - not a riot - who's with me?". After that I got support, trust and respect from protesters and Bronze and Silver Commanders alike.

When waves of protesters charged the Police, who were protecting Tories, I would run between the lines and prevent contact. Not once, not twice, but for hours - I was exhausted! And because they didn't want to hurt me, nothing happened. Honestly, it was beautiful, I saw a side of myself I never knew existed. I put my life on the line all that day (3rd October, Albert Square) and at the time I didn't even really realise it. I just saw the emotion in the faces of the Police, and the smugness in the faces of our "rulers" - the Tories, and figured that the police were just like us - in uniforms, and that this is what the Tories wanted - divide and conquer!

It turned out, weeks later, that the police were extremely grateful for all this and that I was becoming quite well known, especially in part because I had unintentionally snubbed the DCC whilst discussing safety and practical issues with the Bronze Commander on land adjacent to our camp site - at the time the job in hand was more important than his nice suit - and he'd come out specifically to thank me! This "fumble" actually helped me, as it proved my intentions were honest and that I'd call a spade a spade - the move was especially popular with CI Hill's Tactical Aid Unit. If you are in GMP and on here, you know who I am by now...

So the upshot of all this is, I'm currently torn between my political views and ideas, and the opportunity to join a community and Force steeped in tradition and deserving of the highest praise - GMP. I'm already being accused from all quarters of BEING a police officer, especially since I'm usually very quick to justify, defend and explain Police action or strategy. Those Silvers and Bronzes taught me a lot, and I'm grateful for that. And Police let on to me all the time even a year on (and I love it!)

To give another clue as to how useful I was, and have been since, I have helped (under my common law rights) to effect several arrests of violent, drunk people in our city centre, and handed over successfully (and been thanked by name!) to GMP officers, who know who to expect when they show up for me!

There's a lot more I could say, but I'm not sure how much I should say from here because I don't want to sully anyone for not following proper Police procedures - as far as I'm concerned GMP are the Peace Police, and they're on the people's side, not the banker's and fatcat's side.

So, that's me, I would be grateful for advice on how to proceed and maybe some references to more reading material to help with my decision, I strongly suspect that either way my future and GMP's are closely interwoven. And I'm happy with that. So I signed up here. Hello everyone!!!

Rachel Wilson
(not quite) GMP (yet, maybe)

#2 Moxnil

Moxnil

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Banned
  • 868 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 12:41 PM

Hi and welcome to the forum. You seem like you've self taught yourself some good diplomatic skills which would certainly come in handy as a police officer.

#3 Rachel Wilson

Rachel Wilson

• Resident Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 05:45 PM

Hi and welcome to the forum. You seem like you've self taught yourself some good diplomatic skills which would certainly come in handy as a police officer.

Thank you for your encouragement Moxnil. The reason I am torn about getting sworn (that wasn't meant to rhyme!) is that those diplomatic skills, combined with my propensity to "call a spade a spade" could well be put to good use in politics, changing the motives and reasons for crime to exist in the first place. If we had a more open, equitable, honest society there would be no crime. Then I get told that I'm naive and the system will never change, and the reason it is the way it is is because it suits the rotters at the top just fine... well if that's really true, why not just join up and live the best life I can, for me? Then the pangs of guilt that selfish actions always give me hit, and hit hard. Surely I've got to try to change things? At this point people give on the conversation, lol.

#4 GeorgeH

GeorgeH

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Resident Members
  • 446 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:57 PM

Politically you and I are at polar opposites. But I think you would make an excellent police officer. It would also give you a different perspective of the world. A lot of people become police officers to save the world. But then they are introduced to the evil of the world. You will meet good people do do wrong. Good people who do evil things. And then evil people who live up to their reputation. You can become the voice of the victim. No system of government is perfect. No justice system can truly be correct all the time. Everything can be improved. Yet, at the end of the day, someone needs to stand up for the victim.

#5 Rachel Wilson

Rachel Wilson

• Resident Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:53 PM

Politically you and I are at polar opposites. But I think you would make an excellent police officer. It would also give you a different perspective of the world. A lot of people become police officers to save the world. But then they are introduced to the evil of the world. You will meet good people do do wrong. Good people who do evil things. And then evil people who live up to their reputation. You can become the voice of the victim. No system of government is perfect. No justice system can truly be correct all the time. Everything can be improved. Yet, at the end of the day, someone needs to stand up for the victim.

Thank you, I'm grateful that even though we may never agree on politics, you're comfortable enough with my reasons for being the way I am to suggest that I'd be an excellent police officer. Honestly, do you think that GMP would agree? Intellectually, I'd have no problem, but socially? I'm a polarising influence on any situation, you either love me or hate me. I've got to be able to integrate, to bond - and I don't drink, I don't go wild on a Friday night, and I don't particularly revel in violence. From what I've read about the induction training, all those are compulsary for trainees. Would that be a barrier or would the trainers see my talents and potential and buffer me from all that? I just don't know. Thank you, though. I appreciate the feedback.

#6 GeorgeH

GeorgeH

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Resident Members
  • 446 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:23 AM

Protesting is easy.

A police force is a para-military organization. For you it would be like moving to the moon. It will be an experience. Over time the job will force you to rethink some of your views. (Not all, but some.) Because what you will see is both the face of evil and the trauma of the victim. You will see humanity at its best and worst. Granted, you may not be shooting beers after work or attending a "Dirty Harry" festival, but so what. I would avoid engaging in political conversations with your trainers and superiors. Let them judge you on your performance and not on your political/social views. Police officers may not be as open minded as you would like. But they do respect people who are true to their beliefs. They also respect individuals who do their job.

#7 Moxnil

Moxnil

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Banned
  • 868 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:04 AM

Thank you, I'm grateful that even though we may never agree on politics, you're comfortable enough with my reasons for being the way I am to suggest that I'd be an excellent police officer. Honestly, do you think that GMP would agree? Intellectually, I'd have no problem, but socially? I'm a polarising influence on any situation, you either love me or hate me. I've got to be able to integrate, to bond - and I don't drink, I don't go wild on a Friday night, and I don't particularly revel in violence. From what I've read about the induction training, all those are compulsary for trainees. Would that be a barrier or would the trainers see my talents and potential and buffer me from all that? I just don't know. Thank you, though. I appreciate the feedback.

All officers have to get to grips with some degree of violence. You're going to encounter people who aren't used to hearing the word "no" and who will try to take it out on you when things don't go their way. Good diplomatic skills can resolve situations that would otherwise turn violent, but sooner or later expect to have to get hands on.

#8 Rachel Wilson

Rachel Wilson

• Resident Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:02 PM

I do expect to get hands on, in fact I've done so already, and used Section 24a PACE in oder to do so. When I said those things I was referring to the culture of beer and brawling at training referred to in various non-fiction books published by police and prison officers about their experience in training. Will not wishing to take part in drinking and fighting in the officer's local exclude me from passing the training? That's what I was asking. Thanks for your time.

#9 GeorgeH

GeorgeH

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Resident Members
  • 446 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:43 PM

Don't worry about male bonding activities.

#10 Rachel Wilson

Rachel Wilson

• Resident Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:14 AM

Don't worry about male bonding activities.

:biggrin: Thank you! I'll fight with them (for training), after all, I would expect to be judged on my performance, nothing else, especially since I have an interest in public order (tactical aid), but I don't really want to drink with "the lads", brawl with them, puke up after kebabs with them etc... (awww silly boys, they never grow up! Endearing it is, but I'd rather look after one than brawl with him and his mates!)

Any females who have been through training on here recently care to comment on whether "butch" activities are optional for females or not? Thanks for everyone's time in reading and offering advice so far.

#11 Arielle

Arielle

I'm New !

• Resident Members
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, reading, travelling, collecting soap!, collecting ethnic clothes, designer ones too (i.e. GAP, Dolce & Gabbana, Armani, Moschino, Jeep) etc., watching Dvd's, the internet, making new friends, my teddies!! and knitting (in a trendy way)!. I also have a fascination for Mountains and would LOVE to climb one someday!. Want to find love too!!.

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:04 AM

:smiley_offtopic: I would LOVE to see those handsome boys!! :smiley_vomit: . All the best if you do join Rachel.

#12 Rachel Wilson

Rachel Wilson

• Resident Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:52 AM

:smiley_offtopic: I would LOVE to see those handsome boys!! :smiley_vomit: . All the best if you do join Rachel.

http://www.ukpoliceo...ing-the-police/ See my posts here. Offtopic...

#13 Arielle

Arielle

I'm New !

• Resident Members
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, reading, travelling, collecting soap!, collecting ethnic clothes, designer ones too (i.e. GAP, Dolce & Gabbana, Armani, Moschino, Jeep) etc., watching Dvd's, the internet, making new friends, my teddies!! and knitting (in a trendy way)!. I also have a fascination for Mountains and would LOVE to climb one someday!. Want to find love too!!.

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:42 AM

Ha ha. That Charlie fellow!.............ANTI-CAPITALISM!! :thumbsup: . He clearly does have a point (especially about the Chinese :nono: ) but, as you said, it's the fact that he was going outside of the norm, calling out in a train station and the police had to respond to that!. :smiley_offtopic: can't say any of those guys would float my boat though!! :sweetheart:

#14 Rachel Wilson

Rachel Wilson

• Resident Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:31 PM

Nah, actually when I gave you the link, I was referring you to my cheeky comments on that page about having a private collection of photos of police hugging me (not the other way round!). This was to illustrate how easy-going they are about being filmed in general, after all, it's the Law (and so are they!)

#15 jimmy_bobby

jimmy_bobby

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Resident Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:54 AM

Hi Rachel,

I think it's awesome that you're looking to join GMP and glad you have had some good experiences and by the sounds of it a lot of outside experience that will put you in a good position when you join.

Intrigued to learn why, as mentioned in another thread, you would do Close Protection SIA training, usually about £2,500 quids worth, when you are heavily involved in the protest movement (Occupy) and looking to join the police? What motivated you to do that and spend that sort of money when you didn't appear to have that career route in mind?

#16 Rachel Wilson

Rachel Wilson

• Resident Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:26 PM

Hi Rachel,

I think it's awesome that you're looking to join GMP and glad you have had some good experiences and by the sounds of it a lot of outside experience that will put you in a good position when you join.

Intrigued to learn why, as mentioned in another thread, you would do Close Protection SIA training, usually about £2,500 quids worth, when you are heavily involved in the protest movement (Occupy) and looking to join the police? What motivated you to do that and spend that sort of money when you didn't appear to have that career route in mind?

I was unemployed and homeless at the time, and had to choose a mandatory course with my training provider (Serco?). This was before Occupy - I've always been interested in justice and hated liars and hypocrites. The funding was paid for me (and according to one tutor he made about 300 just himself from it). I used that training and knowledge to make Occupy the most peaceful party I could - and made enemies for doing so! The purpose of Occupy, as far as I was concerned, was the convince the people and the Police how corrupt this government is - and that, under existing laws, we could just bang them all up for theft! I talked with the police, a lot, about politics, life, crime, etc., I followed them around on beats, I played up (and down!) to whole lines of them during marches and generally got to like them. I still have links, but they're personal, not professional, apart from one - I've kept (and used) the mobile for the Duty Inspector for Response A Div. for when I needed MPQ.

Also, I'm worried about loads of issues that might make me unsuitable for the role - but the biggest one I haven't even mentioned here yet - I'm transgendered. I don't know if I'd fit in to the rank and file - where I'll inevitably start, and I'm worried about the training - lads culture etc. I could happily be a Special and not worry about all that, though, maybe.

#17 RBM

RBM

UKPOLICEONLINE Full Member

• Resident Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:12 PM

I was unemployed and homeless at the time, and had to choose a mandatory course with my training provider (Serco?). This was before Occupy - I've always been interested in justice and hated liars and hypocrites. The funding was paid for me (and according to one tutor he made about 300 just himself from it). I used that training and knowledge to make Occupy the most peaceful party I could - and made enemies for doing so! The purpose of Occupy, as far as I was concerned, was the convince the people and the Police how corrupt this government is - and that, under existing laws, we could just bang them all up for theft! I talked with the police, a lot, about politics, life, crime, etc., I followed them around on beats, I played up (and down!) to whole lines of them during marches and generally got to like them. I still have links, but they're personal, not professional, apart from one - I've kept (and used) the mobile for the Duty Inspector for Response A Div. for when I needed MPQ.

Also, I'm worried about loads of issues that might make me unsuitable for the role - but the biggest one I haven't even mentioned here yet - I'm transgendered. I don't know if I'd fit in to the rank and file - where I'll inevitably start, and I'm worried about the training - lads culture etc. I could happily be a Special and not worry about all that, though, maybe.

i dont think being TG would be an issue in these enlightened time, more the issue would come from the intel data base about your occupy adventure and this could very well be held against you, possibly

#18 Rachel Wilson

Rachel Wilson

• Resident Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:04 PM

i dont think being TG would be an issue in these enlightened time, more the issue would come from the intel data base about your occupy adventure and this could very well be held against you, possibly

Did you read all of the posts above? The intel database is just fine with me, and Occupy, thank you very much. The police aren't the servants of capitalism, they are the thin blue line between order and chaos. They protect the people, not the elites.

#19 jimmy_bobby

jimmy_bobby

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Resident Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:45 PM

I was unemployed and homeless at the time, and had to choose a mandatory course with my training provider (Serco?). This was before Occupy - I've always been interested in justice and hated liars and hypocrites. The funding was paid for me (and according to one tutor he made about 300 just himself from it). I used that training and knowledge to make Occupy the most peaceful party I could - and made enemies for doing so! The purpose of Occupy, as far as I was concerned, was the convince the people and the Police how corrupt this government is - and that.....

As has been stated the TG thing is not an issue and will not prevent you from joining and any 'lads colture' isn't as prevent in the police as it is in the army etc. And if anyone makes a comment, they are likely to lose their job, so they won't. The service is VERY risk averse, in all areas.

I cannot understand why you would be given a close protection SIA course worth £2500-£3000 for free, in fact (and im "benefits trained" in my Community Team roll) I know that's not something that has ever been done before. It's too specialist and too expensive.....Why were you such a special case. Am I missing something from a previous post?

#20 Rachel Wilson

Rachel Wilson

• Resident Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:18 AM

As has been stated the TG thing is not an issue and will not prevent you from joining and any 'lads colture' isn't as prevent in the police as it is in the army etc. And if anyone makes a comment, they are likely to lose their job, so they won't. The service is VERY risk averse, in all areas.

I cannot understand why you would be given a close protection SIA course worth £2500-£3000 for free, in fact (and im "benefits trained" in my Community Team roll) I know that's not something that has ever been done before. It's too specialist and too expensive.....Why were you such a special case. Am I missing something from a previous post?

I think there's some confusion about the nature of my SIA Course. The company was called Close Protection UK, or CPUK, and the course was for SIA Basic and Door Supervisor badges. I had intended to do the CCTV badge, and was told the first week would be Basic and the second Door Supe or CCTV, depending on choice. There was then no choice. Lol.

Thanks for you interest and time.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gmp, manchester, newbie

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users