• This topic is locked This topic is locked
413 replies to this topic

#1 AlphaOscarOne

AlphaOscarOne

UKPOLICEONLINE New Member

• Resident Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:58 PM

As Alcoholism an public disorder is on the rise, due to many negating factors. I am interested to catch your opinion on this matter as this is a hotly debated topic. I apologise if this has been discussed elsewhere!!!!! 😊

#2 Narpo

Narpo

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Resident Members
  • 367 posts
  • Interests:Archaeology, history. reading, scuba diving, bushcraft/camping, etc, etc.

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:00 PM

If they can pass the course, then yes they should.

#3 AlphaOscarOne

AlphaOscarOne

• Resident Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:38 PM

What course do you reckon the course should contain?

#4 CanexTVP

CanexTVP

• Police Service (Officer)
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:42 PM

The taser course is very straight forwards with use of force training, and not hard to understand or pass, just need to know when you can and cannot use it, distance of max deployment etc. Just remember though, it is not the be all and end all, I have been involved in a few situations where it has not worked, due to either bad deployment, clothing, missed dart or subject was not affected, it happens!! then you need to quickly react appropriately, not just think.. Oh Crap!??? Another tool on the belt. But it should be issued to all front line officers definately. All Officers should be able to defend themselves appropriately, so this is a good tool for certain situations.

#5 Moxnil

Moxnil

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Banned
  • 868 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:54 PM

To me, this question is no different than "Should officers be armed with batons / cs spray?" And my answer is yes. All three of these have the capacity to kill a person, both mostly all they do is incapacitate. I think some people just don't want Tasers because they look like guns. That's a whole different topic for a different thread though.

Is a Taser a solve all magic solution? No. Neither is a baton. But you still carry it, and would be totally against going out without out.

Edited by Moxnil, 18 September 2012 - 07:59 PM.

#6 Nykad21

Nykad21

UKPOLICEONLINE Full Member

• Resident Members
  • 236 posts
  • Interests:Xbox and Call Of Duty!

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:10 PM

Yes, ALL frontline officers should be trained and issued tasers. Ultimately every officer should have access to it in the same way we have access to CS or PAVA spray.

#7 GeorgeH

GeorgeH

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Resident Members
  • 446 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:16 PM

The taser course is very straight forwards with use of force training, and not hard to understand or pass, just need to know when you can and cannot use it, distance of max deployment etc. Just remember though, it is not the be all and end all, I have been involved in a few situations where it has not worked, due to either bad deployment, clothing, missed dart or subject was not affected, it happens!! then you need to quickly react appropriately, not just think.. Oh Crap!??? Another tool on the belt. But it should be issued to all front line officers definately. All Officers should be able to defend themselves appropriately, so this is a good tool for certain situations.

The dart spread is one foot for every seven feet of distance. The optimum distance to deploy would be somewhere around 10 feet. But the beauty of a Taser is that its mere presence has a deterrent effect.

#8 AlphaOscarOne

AlphaOscarOne

• Resident Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:30 AM

Interesting, some officers consider the taser to be more effective than cs/pava spray. This may be due to the fact less officers are affected when its deployed.

#9 Frank Drebin

Frank Drebin

UKPOLICEONLINE Veteran

• Senior Resident Members
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:04 AM

Interesting, some officers consider the taser to be more effective than cs/pava spray. This may be due to the fact less officers are affected when its deployed.

Or possibly that a correct taser deployment absolutely will drop the subject, whereas the same can't always be said for cs/pava.

#10 GeorgeH

GeorgeH

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Resident Members
  • 446 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:09 AM

Silence is golden. When the darts are correctly placed, you are correct Frank, the bad guy will go down.

#11 j_lumsden

j_lumsden

I'm New !

• Newbie Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:00 AM

I feel strongly that all officers should carry TASER, obviously permitting they pass the qualification shoot. It can get them out of very difficult situations easily and potentially save a lot of lives and stop as many police officers being injured. Guy armed with a Machete... you don't want to get close to him and he won't put it down - the simple and safe solution would be to TASER. obviously every situation is different and some officers don't have the nerves to use a taser therefore may not even pass the qualification shoot but as a way from protecting officers on a day to day basis taser is a great way of helping our officers.

#12 sykes

sykes

UKPOLICEONLINE Trooper

• Police Service (Officer)
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:26 AM

There is some rubbish posted about who could couldnt use taser when where it would be effective but never heard the argument some officers wouldnt have the nerve to use it and wouldnt pass qualification

what research has been done to support that argument, like many its opinion not supported same as the opinion by some CC that the wearing of black polo shirts and combat trousers would stop the public talking to us, that giving officers taser would also break that contact with the public

find a small number of people with a shared view shout about it long enough and then claim everyone feels the same

taser, cs/ pava baton , rigidcuffs all have a place and a purpose in any given situation one of those items is enough, however we cant choose what kind of incident . offender we are going to come across there fore the options to pick and mix as it were is essential and when the situation is such none of those work you hope back up is on the
way

so lets forget the good old days when all you needed was a whistle wake up to reality and issue the so called front line uniformed officers with taser, or a the very least every 24/7 response officer

#13 Nykad21

Nykad21

UKPOLICEONLINE Full Member

• Resident Members
  • 236 posts
  • Interests:Xbox and Call Of Duty!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:29 AM

so lets forget the good old days when all you needed was a whistle wake up to reality and issue the so called front line uniformed officers with taser, or a the very least every 24/7 response officer

Damn right!

#14 AlphaOscarOne

AlphaOscarOne

• Resident Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:45 PM

I believe that anyone when threatened will not hesitate to deploy a Taser just as they would a baton. Interesting to state though that the taser is definatley an instantaneous defence.

#15 jimmy_bobby

jimmy_bobby

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Resident Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:10 PM

I'm a frontline officer working for a Neighbourhood Team. I'm sure we will be the last to be issued the kit as they like us to be the fluffy 'approachable' officers on the beat. The thing is, whilst im out on the beat, with more time than my response colleagues, i have more time to be proactive. More time to target the baddies and 'get in their face', so to speak. I have had to red button it 4 times in my 3 and a half years. Captor spray 3 times and draw baton 2 times. I have been confronted by infected needels, men with knives who refused to put it down, after a GBH. I regularly work single crewed and in parts of town far from nicks.....needless to say, I could do with a TASER just as much as the response guys and girls....

#16 stewie_griffin

stewie_griffin

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• 923 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:30 AM

Guy armed with a Machete... you don't want to get close to him and he won't put it down - the simple and safe solution would be to TASER.

Not sure about that, although in the absence of anything else a Taser would have to do. If I was confronted by a man wielding a machete I'd have my pistol straight out and wouldn't even consider the Taser.

I can't see a problem with the widespread issuing of Taser, although as some people above have said, they aren't as good as many people think. If:
-the DPM hasn't got a wobble,
-the current is 'clicking' OK,
-the cartridge isn't faulty,
-the target isn't wearing a thick jacket or moving too much
-the spread of the darts is good
then you should be OK. Otherwise it can be a bit of a gamble. That said, it's better than nothing.

#17 Moxnil

Moxnil

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Banned
  • 868 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:18 AM

I don't get why some people say a taser isn't a guarantee, and base their objections on this. Your baton might not work, your spray might not affect someone who is on some substances, but you still have them. At the end of the day, they are better than nothing.

#18 gripper

gripper

UKPOLICEONLINE Guru

• 2,772 posts
  • Interests:Monkey hanging!

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:36 AM

I have been hit twice by colleagues, when using batons.
Maybe I should purchase a rubber suit, for taser runout. :D

#19 Moxnil

Moxnil

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Banned
  • 868 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:13 AM

I have been hit twice by colleagues, when using batons.
Maybe I should purchase a rubber suit, for taser runout. :D

Having a taser gives you an extra tactical option, that cannot be denied. I see no credible arguments against it. The "abuse" argument - ask yourself if there is widespread baton abuse at the moment. The "escalation" argument - how many criminals currently walk about with cs and a baton?

#20 GeorgeH

GeorgeH

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Resident Members
  • 446 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:20 AM

Not sure about that, although in the absence of anything else a Taser would have to do. If I was confronted by a man wielding a machete I'd have my pistol straight out and wouldn't even consider the Taser.

I agree.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users