•  

Photo

Dot marked race tyres in the UK, are they road legal?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
30 replies to this topic

#21 cheesedoff

cheesedoff

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Senior Resident Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:22 PM

Am i missing something here ??
Legislatio says (from memory) that the tread pattern needs to be 1.6mm across the central 3/4 of the width of the tyre. This leaves 1 8th of the tyre width on either side of the tyre where the tread pattern need not be visible. The tyre in picture does not conform to this.

If i were to stop you with these tyres on, you would get a report and a PG9

#22 Bill Bingley

Bill Bingley

I'm New !

• Newbie Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:56 AM

The cars a '90 Honda CRX but with a '03 Civic TypeR engine swap & a turbo.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I've found a Khumo do a 245/45/16 & a 265/45/16 which is going to do the job I think & they are E Marked so no hassle & MSA 1b list so I can race on them if I can afford to do some circuit racing.

Thanks for the input tho I'd still like to know either way about the extreme DOT tyres.

Bill

#23 Bill Bingley

Bill Bingley

I'm New !

• Newbie Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:14 AM

The treads bands around the tyre which would have to be deeper than 1.6mm, my original question boils down to are those bands "enough" thread to the letter of the law rather than the meaning.

Bill

#24 jamieMET

jamieMET

UKPOLICEONLINE Associate Member

• Police Service (Officer)
  • 77 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:15 AM

Nice project!

Is the Kumho 'Ecsta Sport' series? I've run these before on trackdays with 400hp going through them, quite capiable. Couldn't see that size on the tyre websites i use.

#25 Bill Bingley

Bill Bingley

I'm New !

• Newbie Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:23 AM

Khumo's are a Ecsta V70A.

My car for now will be 500-550hp once I've beefed up the gearbox/driveshafts it's good for 650-700hp + nitrous for drag use. Some of the racing I want to do demands road legal tyres hence my interest in plenty of grip to help put the power down.

On the road I'll run around 350-400hp which is still more than enough from experience, I have a clean license & I don't plan on that changing.

Bill

#26 znra251

znra251

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:15 PM

The tyres are easily up to the job as far as load/speed rating etc. The only issue is the tread design.

In the wet particualy standing water these tyres won't be good at all. The car will be a fair weather only car anyway & won't do more than a couple of thousand road miles a year. But the tyres will come into there own when I'm racing it (off public highways) & I'd rather not have to buy another set of tyres which won't be as good for hardly any use!

Bill

I'll try the uk importers that's a good shout thanks!

And there in lies the potential offence.

s271(a) Construction and use regulations

the tyre is unsuitable having regard to the use to which the motor vehicle or trailer is being put or to the types of tyres fitted to its other wheels;

unless you know a way to stop it raining in the UK. If you are driving and it starts to rain you will have to stop. If you don't stop it will be potentially dangerous. If you do stop it can also be dangerous ie hard shoulders, some roads. etc.

Just think you can't have a normal car and say I'm not fitting headlights to it because I won't drive at night

#27 RBM

RBM

UKPOLICEONLINE Full Member

• Resident Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:57 PM

Just think you can't have a normal car and say I'm not fitting headlights to it because I won't drive at night

but you can do exactly that, no lights required to be fitted for day light running (other than brake lights)

#28 Jaydee

Jaydee

UKPOLICEONLINE Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,253 posts
  • Interests:Rugby, swimming, athletics, playing the drums and I have a keen interest in engineering.

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:03 PM

Not completely sure if they would be considered legal or not to be honest (I am sure there will be a traffic officer around who will know) but you would be completely and utterly MAD to want to drive with those!!! The moment you so much as look at a patch of icy or wet road you will be buried in the side of a wall or facing the wrong way on the road! They are as near to slick tyres as you are going to get without actually getting slicks. They are clearly designed for the track on clear and dry days not day to day motoring. Save your money and go for some top end road tyres instead seriously.

#29 znra251

znra251

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:21 AM

but you can do exactly that, no lights required to be fitted for day light running (other than brake lights)

pretty sure if you have a normal car (ie approved mass produced car) and you then remove the headlights you would be committing an offence. It's been a while since I've been over them but the road vehicle lighting regs are pretty clear

Maintenance of lamps, reflectors, rear markings and devices23.—(1) No person shall use, or cause or permit to be used, on a road a vehicle unless every lamp, reflector, rear marking and device to which this paragraph applies is in good working order and, in the case of a lamp, clean.
(2) Save as provided in paragraph (3), paragraph (1) applies to–
(a)every–
(i)front position lamp,
(ii)rear position lamp,
(iii)headlamp,
(iv)rear registration plate lamp,
(v)side marker lamp,
(vi)end-outline marker lamp,
(vii)rear fog lamp,
(viii)retro reflector, and
(ix)rear marking of a type specified in Part I of Section B of Schedule 19,
with which the vehicle is required by these Regulations to be fitted; and
(b)every–
(i)stop lamp,
(ii)direction indicator,
(iii)running lamp,
(iv)dim-dip device,
(v)headlamp levelling device, and
(vi)hazard warning signal device,
with which it is fitted.
(3) Paragraph (2) does not apply to–
(a)a rear fog lamp on a vehicle which is part of a combination of vehicles any part of which is not required by these Regulations to be fitted with a rear fog lamp;
(b)a rear fog lamp on a motor vehicle drawing a trailer;
©a defective lamp, reflector, dim-dip device or headlamp levelling device on a vehicle in use on a road between sunrise and sunset, if any such lamp, reflector or device became defective during the journey which is in progress or if arrangements have been made to remedy the defect with all reasonable expedition; or
(d)a lamp, reflector, dim-dip device, headlamp levelling device or rear marking on a combat vehicle in use on a road between sunrise and sunset.

Of course if you were to remove them and then get your car approved for daytime running that is a different matter but that is very different to simply removing them and saying I don't want them

#30 ARTSPRAY

ARTSPRAY

• Resident Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:24 AM

i know motorcycles can be given a daytime only MOT certificate when presented for a test without road lamps so it may also be possible with motor cars ,you can even drive a vehicle perfectly legaly without number plates under certain circumstances IE going to or from an SVA test

as for those tyres they seem like a hideing to knowhere as far as using them on the road ,i wouldnt want the hassle ,its one thig argueing thier merits on a forum but very much another being taken to court to explain it all to the magistrate becouse the traffic copper issueing your ticket aint going to wear it for a minute ;-)

Edited by ARTSPRAY, 10 November 2012 - 01:25 AM.

#31 ARTSPRAY

ARTSPRAY

• Resident Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:44 AM

one thing i will say is i am getting very concerned about modified high powered vehicles being built and run on public roads ,last week such a vehicle built by a friend of mine and driven by a youngster killed three of his passengers and last i heard the driver was critical with a broken neck and back ,,300 400 and even 1000 BHP seems to be relativly easily acomplished by a teenager with a enough cash and grasp of mechanical knowhow and an old corsa ,then of course we have the counsil estate raly cars ie anything prestige but over five years of age

dont get me wrong i love custom built vehicles hence my user name as i am an automotive refinisher and airbrush artist by trade but some of the stuff on the road shouldnt be and more importantly some of the drivers who may well be able to build these things but i very much duabt they can truly handle them or apretiate just how unpredictable such a high powered vehicle can be especialy in the wrong hands

rant over

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users