Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:00 PM

I loved gyros.

#42 turned-around

turned-around

UKPOLICEONLINE New Member

• Resident Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:12 PM

It would probably depend on the situation, if it was in a crowded area, for example nightclub kicking out, it likely use a baton, ifit was a domestic incident then probably spray, having never used either though I do not really know. From other officers experience spray tends to work much better than a baton as people in a rage can sometimes withstand a few baton strikes, having seen a video of one man take 10 strikes to the legs from two officers, and subsequently keep fighting.

On another note, we have been issued with Biteback spray, anyone had experience with it?

#43 GeorgeH

GeorgeH

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Resident Members
  • 446 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:25 AM

There is no tool appropriate for all occasions.

As to "Biteback," I understand that it is an animal control spray. CS gas does not work very well with four legged critters.

#44 CanexTVP

CanexTVP

UKPOLICEONLINE New Member

• Police Service (Officer)
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:11 PM

After 15 years both in UK and here in Canada, I feel that the best baton Ive used was the PSU baton (the long stick Ive seen the Met officers carry), nice and long with a great striking tip, good for crowd control and pushing through a group.
The expandable side handle baton and the extendable ASP or Monadnock friction locks just were not even worth drawing in a situation I personally feel. Now use my asp only for breaking windows if needed or knocking on a door to call someone out.

I carry another hot topic item Taser and a side arm aswell as a long weapon if on entries. I used my baton in UK twice in 7 years, one to strike other to restrain with an arm lock. Drawn baton (asp) once in Canada, thought about it then just held it and punched the reprebate instead!! As for CS/OC pepper spray etc. No way!!, dont like the stuff unless I have my mask on, effects too many people differently and a pain in the behind to ensure good decontamination afterwards.

In UK went to assistance of an officer fighting with some gypsies, and we got stuck in and as we grabbed, both were hit with the immediate affects of the CS, both couldnt see, became very interesting!! In Canada, assisting another officer, who failed to advise that he had emptied a full pepper spray inside the room, and as we went in to make arrests, wow, like being smacked with a hot fog blanket that stuck to you and wanted to remove your eyes and throat!! Hate the stuff personally, but each to their own.

I do feel that all the equipment we use or have the option to use, are only as good as the user and their skill levels, and then that all depends upon the training you get and how much we get to train. Then that all boils down to man hours(sorry ladies!) and cost!! Wow!! how did I get that cynical!!? If your on a department like mine, we train constantly for violent/dangerous situations, as its our job, so get to improve our skills, where as the overworked front line officers and the investigative units maybe do it once or twice a year at best.

Anyway, off tangent tirade over, stay safe brothers and sisters.

#45 znra251

znra251

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Senior Resident Members
  • 557 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:31 AM

for me its a choice depending on circumstances. I tend to spray people who i'm confident if it doens't work won't have seriously hurt me in the next few seconds. People I don't feel like that about get battoned very hard very quickly until they fall over. Fortunately I've only had to baton two people but both times I was about 1 missed strike away from a real kicking.

Also, if your force allows you to use rigid batons use one. My experience of striking two people, both coked up to their eyeballs says the rigid baton acheived the effect in 1, the asp took about 6.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users