•  

Photo

Special Police Officer - Asked to resign?

resign?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 DannyRoseAfro

DannyRoseAfro

I'm New !

• Resident Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:50 AM

A curious one! Help please and a bit of guidance appreciated.

My daughter who passed out from Hendon at the end of July 12 has been trying to get her first shift organised with her station.

Firstly, all the other people that passed out within the group, met their Station Sergeant before the course was completed.

My daughter never. She has tried contacting various people and been given the run around. She e-mailed her Sergeant on one occasion and was told off for calling him by his wrong title (used name rather than Sergeant).

She went to the station, completed her expense claim (still unpaid),did some N Calts, took her uniform up to the station and organised a locker. Then nothing, until yesterday.

Yesterday - call from an officer who deals with specials. He said that as she had made no effort to arrange a shift, that she should attend the station, hand over her warrant card and resign!!!!

He also suggested to come back in 6 - 8 months time, when she would be welcomed back. When she said that she has tried on 'numerous' occasions to arrange a shift with a contact that had been given to her by Hendon, he said "so are you trying to blame one of my officers?"

Has anyone ever come across this before and what should she do?

#2 jonnym

jonnym

UKPOLICEONLINE Associate Member

• Resident Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:09 AM

Don't resign. If they want to get rid of her let them go through the 'proper' process. Speak to HR to raise a grievance. Unfortunately, solve this sort of issues you need to 'bite back' too.

#3 Juliet_bravo

Juliet_bravo

UKPOLICEONLINE Full Member

• Resident Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:05 PM

I'd speak to HR evidencing a communications she has made with various people for shift etc. In my work life any phone calls I make I always follow up with an email. Hope it works out

#4 DannyRoseAfro

DannyRoseAfro

I'm New !

• Resident Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:32 PM

Anyone got a number for HR Dept in the Met?

#5 stewie_griffin

stewie_griffin

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Senior Resident Members
  • 906 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:16 PM

Anyone got a number for HR Dept in the Met?

I'm presuming you want the number so you can give it to your daughter, so she can make the call.

#6 Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer

UKPOLICEONLINE Guru

• Power User (Enhanced)+
  • 3,172 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:33 PM

Between 05- late 08 I was responsible for recruiting,training and general looking after the specials at my then area.
We had 30 specials 15 of whom did the alloted hours required around 16 per month or more ideally 8 hours per week.
The other 15 there were 5 that were hit and miss and you never knew if they would actually turn up and when you chased them for missed duties they had always 'texted' someone ( a friend) or rung in and spoken to persons unknown.This continued despite how many times you told them how to change/cancel a duty.The other 10 were uniform carriers who liked to have the warrant card and uniform and think of themselves as police officers.They never did shifts but worse than that they wouldn't resign either and would avoid me like the plauge.Getting rid of them against their will would have meant about 25 hours work for me collating everything and instigating it and i didn't have time.So thats maybe why your daughters specials liaison guy is going down the resignation result.I kept a record of every phone call e-mail I made trying to get people in to do some hours or indeed discuss resignation.When someone doesn't want to be found or hand in the badge for whatever reason it can be very tricky as I didn't have all week to chase up awol specials, of course they new this and dragged it out.

#7 DannyRoseAfro

DannyRoseAfro

I'm New !

• Resident Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:33 PM

The irony is that she has tried booking shifts, tried contacting her sergeant, tried e-mail, phone calls and even been to the station, yet no one has got back to
her until yesterday. This is not a person trying to avoid something shes wanted to do since she was knee high. She has even said any day any shift. Doesn't
sound like someone on an ego trip?
I fully understand that you're controlled by budgets and get all these extra specials that are probably a pain in the a***, but this really is not her fault. I really
can't understand why Hendon don't do a follow up to find out "how things are going".

But thanks for all your input Tom. I understand your frustration. I trainee is enough to get my goat!

And, she has made contact with HR and I they are taking it up. Thanks Stewie.

#8 dizzi141

dizzi141

UKPOLICEONLINE New Member

• Resident Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:57 PM

Hope she gets this all sorted, and puts this all behind her to have some great experiences.

#9 Danny Diamond

Danny Diamond

UKPOLICEONLINE New Member

• Resident Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:14 PM

What I would suggest your daughter does is to ring MetHR and submit a Fairness at Work (your daughter should know where to find this and how to do it). Boroughs are so stretched at the moment that they are relying on Special Constables more and more which probably explains some of what has happened. From what you've told me it does seem to be unfair what has happened. I would suggest your daughter tries to go in and see her Sergeant and if not her Inspector as the grievance is with the Sergeant. Hopefully it's something that can be dealt with informally but record EVERYTHING that you or your daughter does regardless of what action you or your daughter wish to take.

#10 Dean0

Dean0

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Resident Members
  • 485 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:56 PM

Having read this post - I just thought I would add my view.

Your daughter should not be forced to resign as, based on what you have said, she has done nothing wrong. It could be something as simple as someone not wanting to train a new special (the training received is continued out on duty).

Having been a special previously it is sometimes evident people do not want to help - although this is a stigma and wasn't the case at my station.

Your daughter should raise the issue with HR as previously stated via post and send it recorded delivery to ensure they have received any correspondence. I would avoid phone calls as there is little evidence of it happening.

It is important she raises this as, if like you said, she wants to do this as a future career - this could have a negative impact on any applications. It's important your daughter submits evidence (emails, phone call records etc) to support her case.

Without sounding condescending - it is important she does this herself, perhaps with your support, but certainly she should initiate it.

Best of luck

#11 The_Domino

The_Domino

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Senior Resident Members
  • 807 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:52 AM

What borough?

#12 AranL

AranL

UKPOLICEONLINE Full Member

• Resident Members
  • 205 posts
  • Interests:Police and Military equipment and Martial Arts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:56 PM

Had the Same sort of issues with Surrey Personally but all you have to do is, make contact and get face to face with people. Have a chat and get involved. Its then if they wont help to go down HR route. I would try to arrange a meeting with the Sgt and try to get a plan structured to get in on shift and show that she wants to do it. Also make sure she does everything herself.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users