59 replies to this topic

#1 yliving

yliving

UKPOLICEONLINE New Member

• Resident Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:24 PM

Hi, just starting a post for anybody starting at Tulliallan in November. I'm starting with L&B, finish my current job tomorrow and got 3 weeks off to prepare!!

Anybody know if you can leave at night if needed? I know you need to be back by 10.30pm but is it ok to leave and come back by then? Have 3 young kids and don't stay far from Tulliallan so if allowed I might nip out to meet them midweek and say hello.

Thanks for any advice, Yvonne.

#2 Paladin1

Paladin1

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:21 PM

Typically your day finishes about 5pm, your time is your own after that .

#3 yliving

yliving

• Resident Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:45 PM

thanks for that - good to know.

#4 Ghusk

Ghusk

I'm New !

• Newbie Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:25 PM

Hi there,
I start on the 12th as well, joining from Tayside police, I also finish work tomorrow! I can't wait for a couple of weeks off! look forward to seeing you there on the 12th!

Husky

#5 EXRAF

EXRAF

UKPOLICEONLINE Associate Member

• Resident Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:12 PM

I'm starting on the 12th, with Grampian. I've been off since May so looking forward to getting back to it. See you all then.

#6 murphy2

murphy2

I'm New !

• Newbie Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:57 AM

Hi EXRAF,
How long did it take for your vetting to go through?? When did you get word you passed n your start date, great news by the way, well done!!

#7 yliving

yliving

• Resident Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:30 PM

So looking forward to starting and meeting you guys - any ideas on the total number starting in November - think the L&B intake is quite small for November.

Only 3.5 hours left to work, yeehaa!

murphy2 - my vetting took a while, think it was about 10 weeks, long time but so worth the wait!

#8 Jlove5

Jlove5

I'm New !

• Newbie Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:21 PM

WebRep

currentVote

noRating
noWeight

Hi guys, Im starting on the 12th too with Strathclyde, I think there is 67 or 68 of us coming up! I heard the November intake was going to be a big one but I have no idea how many people the other forces are sending up. Cant wait to get started!

#9 EXRAF

EXRAF

UKPOLICEONLINE Associate Member

• Resident Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:45 PM

Hi EXRAF,
How long did it take for your vetting to go through?? When did you get word you passed n your start date, great news by the way, well done!!

Vetting took about 4 weeks. I had a provisional start date during the vetting. Got job offer email month before start date.

#10 yliving

yliving

• Resident Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:01 AM

Wow thats a lot from Strathclyde, will be so good!

Well finished job now so can concentrate on my runs in prep for the 5 mile runs that I hear we do at Tulliallan.

Do you guys know whether we need to take a running jacket and if so should it be black? Thinking its gonna be a bit chilly in Nov and Dec for these runs - if its chucking it down do we do the bleep test inside instead?

Sorry for all the questions, just wanting to be as organised as poss.

#11 Mike Nash

Mike Nash

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:44 AM

I'm starting week 3 - not done a 5 mile run yet (well I have but only in my own time), you can take your running jacket but you will be told to take it off.

It was chucking it down on Thursday and was windy, still had to do the mile and a half tho. Bleep test is only done once, week 2.

Be ready to run outside, in rain, snow, ice as criminals don't start running only in nice conditions so train to be faster in them too.

Things to do before - interval train, push-ups, sit ups (you will be tested on both of these), watch videos on bad ost practice, get a plan in place to learn 50odd definitions, stock up on protein shakes (you get very little protein in the meals).

#12 yliving

yliving

• Resident Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:34 AM

Thanks for all the info Mike - will def start practicising push ups/press ups as def not great at these - do they need to be the full press up or can you put your knees on the floor and do it that way?

Am def going to need to spend a lot of time at the gym over the next few weeks!!

have a great week, let us know what you've been up to if you get a chance!

#13 Taliver80

Taliver80

I'm New !

• Newbie Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:32 PM

WebRep

currentVote

noRating
noWeight

Hi guys, Im starting on the 12th too with Strathclyde, I think there is 67 or 68 of us coming up! I heard the November intake was going to be a big one but I have no idea how many people the other forces are sending up. Cant wait to get started!

That's loads. I'm L&B too and there wont even be 20 of us going...! Looking forward to it though - it's been a long time coming!

#14 yliving

yliving

• Resident Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:23 AM

So exciting!! What are you looking forward to the most/dreading the most?

#15 Ghusk

Ghusk

I'm New !

• Newbie Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:42 PM

Yes it is! i got my uniform yesterday made it all the more real! I'm looking forward most to getting started! All this waiting around is making me nervous because I'm unsure what to expect! Must admit I'm a bit worried about the P.E side of things running long distances has never been a strong point of mine! But I have been out training so I hope it all pays off!

What about you guys?

Husky

#16 yliving

yliving

• Resident Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:47 AM

Yeah loved every minute of uniform fitting, just couldn't help feeling the whole time how surreal it was, think because it has been such a long process.

Yip not looking forward to long runs either, am trying to run every day now as think we've got a fitness test the first week before we start at college. I'm lucky as I get 15 mins for my age/gender and can do it in under 13 but I would love to be able to run more comfortably, without feeling that I am going to keel over! Am sure by the end of Tulliallan we will be super fit.

Really can't wait to get started - have to say I'm a bit worried about the food, not that I'm that fussy but just curious as to what the options are for brekkie/lunch etc. Which force are you joining Husky?

#17 mcghee76

mcghee76

I'm New !

• Newbie Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:30 PM

Hello Mike Nash. You said you have to learn 50 odd definitions. Is that word for word? I find it hard to do stuff like that. Any tips?
Thanks

#18 Dizzydee

Dizzydee

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Resident Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:28 PM

There was 55 definitions we had to learn on our initial training. The are supposed to be learned verbatim, but the odd word of difference that doesn't change the meaning of the definition is ok. They are easier than you think and if you just crack on with them from day one at Tulliallan, then you should be ok. There are more definitions to learn again for your return to the college for the second time too!

#19 mcghee76

mcghee76

I'm New !

• Newbie Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:43 PM

Thanks Dizzy. Starting to panic about this and not there yet. Any tips on remembering them all? :help:

#20 Mike Nash

Mike Nash

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:07 AM

Don't sweat it. It's not that bad. Just finished week 3... It's flying by.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users