Jump to content



Quad Bike on Prosisional with CBT

  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   salem69


    I'm New!

  • New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:33 pm

Ok, I currently ride a 125cc Scooter on a Provisional licence with CBT. From January 2013 the licence changes come into effect, and also some of the vehicle catagries are to change.

I would like to get a Quad Bike as I could then use it all year (including snow) as I don't drive or possess a car licence. DVLA have said that I can ride a Quad on my current licence, as long as it does not exceed 125cc, has only a single seat and I display "L" plates. It would need to be road legal, with Tax, MOT, insurance and display the relavent plates and disk.

what I don't have is written confirmation for the above, and try as I might, I can not find it on the DVLA website.

Can anyone help me with this information.


#2 OFFLINE   salem69


    I'm New!

  • New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:05 pm

I found the infomation I needed in:

Regulation 16(3)(a) of The Motor Vehicles (Driving Licences) Regulations 1999

Conditions attached to provisional licences
16.—(1) A provisional licence of any class is granted subject to the conditions prescribed in
relation to a licence of that class in the following paragraphs.
(2) Subject to the following paragraphs, the holder of a provisional licence shall not drive a
vehicle of a class which he is authorised to drive by virtue of that licence—
(a) otherwise than under the supervision of a qualified driver who is present with him in
or on the vehicle,
(b) unless a distinguishing mark in the form set out in Part 1 of Schedule 4 is displayed
on the vehicle in such manner as to be clearly visible to other persons using the road
from within a reasonable distance from the front and from the back of the vehicle, or
© while it is being used to draw a trailer.
(3) The condition specified in paragraph (2)(a) shall not apply when the holder of the
provisional licence—
(a) is driving a motor vehicle of a class included in sub-category B1 or B1 (invalid
carriages) or in category F, G, H or K which is constructed to carry only one person
and not adapted to carry more than one person;
(b) is riding a moped or a motor bicycle with or without a side-car; or
© is driving a motor vehicle, other than a vehicle of a class included in category C, C!E,
D orD!E, on a road in an exempted island.

#3 OFFLINE   a123b456


    On My Way

  • Senior Resident Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:26 am

If you have a provisional B category and a one seat quad bike (not 2 seats with one removed!) then you can ride it. If you have no provisional B entitlement then you can't. Apply for it and enjoy.

Also worth noting 165a seizures don't apply for a licence offence in these circumstances

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users