•  

Photo

Would you arrest someone for walking down the road with a Leatherman?

Best Answer *Matt*, 04 December 2012 - 11:40 PM

Look, Moxnil, there comes a point where you have to have some social responsibility.  Knife crime is a problem, and people get stabbed and die, and the problem is growing.  We are all aware of this.

Legislation is there to try to stop knives being on our streets at all, and our job as officers is to uphold that.  It is unavoidable that it means some people who are responsible enough to carry a knife 'just in case' who would never hurt or threaten anyone, won't be allowed to.  It is no different than to say I as an experienced 40 year old driver in a quality car may well be safe driving at 90 miles an hour on the motorway and safer than a new driver in a dodgy car who has only been driving a week.  However, because a line has to be drawn somewhere in the wider interests of peoples' safety, it is not OK for me to ignore the law on the basis that I believe, or know, I am no threat.  That is how the law works - a general legislation is there that is not tailored to the individual, but is a mean, a 'best fit as we can manage' to achieve the purpose, in this case, to keep knives and knife crime as low as possible.  

I am perfectly willing on this forum to take you on your word and accept you in all likelihood wouldn't use the knife criminally.  However, on the street I simply don't have that luxury - You may have no previous and be about to walk into the argument of your life.  You could be going to stab someone who just slept with your wife.  I don't know, and while I might have a general feeling one way or the other, that knife is coming off of you.  It's not a power trip, an ego thing or any kind of complex, its a simple law that we all have to follow.  

And that's it - the law applies to everyone, and all laws will not be fair for all people all the time.  But you can't pick and choose this one any more than any other.

If what you want to say here is 'it's annoying that because of a load of knife wielding idiots I can't do my boy scout thing', then you are right.  It's the same for all of us.  I can't take my baton and cs home 'just in case' I see a crime on the journey, even though I know I could be trusted with only using it lawfully in the execution of my duty.  That's just how it is, and flogging this poor pony that kicked the bucket somewhere on page 4 starts to become a load of trolling nonsense, because the concept is actually very straightforward, and underpins pretty much all the legislation there is.  

Go to the full post

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
245 replies to this topic

#241 earthman

earthman

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:24 PM

Buy a small non-locking knife and I'll accept responsibility if you come across a rescue situation and the blade closes and cuts your finger.

Any of those knives in my link ok by you?

#242 earthman

earthman

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:29 PM

Hmm, I guess that an Officer of the law can't confirm or be seen to condone any particular knife that would be OK to carry then??

#243 Fritz@Customs

Fritz@Customs

UKPOLICEONLINE Full Member

• Resident Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:36 PM

Hmm, I guess that an Officer of the law can't confirm or be seen to condone any particular knife that would be OK to carry then??

I imagine they have the same problem I would have.

If I physically examine the knife, I can make a decision about whether it S139-compliant, falls to be prohibited or requires a reasonable excuse and I'll happily let you proceed if it's OK.

But, based on a picture, I wouldn't want to commit in case there is something I cannot see or operate on the knife in question.

#244 earthman

earthman

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:52 PM

I imagine they have the same problem I would have.

If I physically examine the knife, I can make a decision about whether it S139-compliant, falls to be prohibited or requires a reasonable excuse and I'll happily let you proceed if it's OK.

But, based on a picture, I wouldn't want to commit in case there is something I cannot see or operate on the knife in question.

That's fine and I can understand that I guess but what is the plain old citizen meant to do? This store is well respected/reputable so the fact that they have put them in the 'UK legal' section doesn't count for much??

#245 Sectioned Detection

Sectioned Detection

UKPOLICEONLINE Master

• Senior Resident Members
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:49 PM

I'd prefer something with a screwdriver but sure if they're your thing. They're legal so no problem.

#246 earthman

earthman

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:36 PM

I must admit, I do prefer multi tools in general, I tend to use the screw drivers and pliers a fair bit.
It's still nice to carry a good quality knife too, for those times when the overall bulk of the tool/handles become uncomfortable/awkward.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users