• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 Juliet_bravo

Juliet_bravo

UKPOLICEONLINE Full Member

• Resident Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:52 PM

A court case is pending where someone made threats against another, case due to go ahead but now adjourned. the main witness is now upset due to witness protection asking her for new dates she's not available. once she gave them the guy said wow ur busy just to remind u if court dates falls in any if them dates its ur duty to appear. She was upset as all dates are planned trip away and an operation. His attitude was a bit off and as a result she said poke it I'm retracting my statement I've waited months with life on hold for this court date. Myself and 2 others are also witnesses and are miffed too having to change dates etc but wondering can a person actually retract a statement once its gone to court???

#2 blueb

blueb

UKPOLICEONLINE Veteran

• Senior Resident Members
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:16 PM

Let's hope the statement wasn't in txt format otherwise no one will understand it - a witness can withdraw their evidence at any time uptoan inlcuding at the doors of the court, whether any action may be taken against the witness for doing so would depend on the circumstances.

#3 Juliet_bravo

Juliet_bravo

UKPOLICEONLINE Full Member

• Resident Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:43 PM

Sorry using iPhone. I'm hoping as a police officer wrote it then should be correct. Sorry if texting short put you off

#4 SimonT

SimonT

UKPoliceOnline Staff

• Moderators
  • 7,248 posts
  • Interests:police, climbing

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:45 AM

Anyone can retract, im shocked more people dont as witnesses and victims are treated like rubbish by the system. The court can compel people to attend and give evidence but that pretty much never actually happens.

I have had trials with multiple retrials, postponements and other fannying about by the suspect and thats fine and victims failing to show because of a legitimate reason and the trial being binned after 30 munites, no backsies thats it.

#5 stewie_griffin

stewie_griffin

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Senior Resident Members
  • 906 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:24 PM

Anyone can retract, im shocked more people dont as witnesses and victims are treated like rubbish by the system.

Completely agree. As a police officer it's always worth reminding someone of the difficulties that lie ahead when providing a statement. Funny how when you really want someone to provide a statement for a relatively important matter they're not so keen, but when it's some trivial load of nonsense you can't seem to stop people wanting to put their side of the story.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users