3 replies to this topic

#1 Guybrush

Guybrush

UKPOLICEONLINE New Member

• Resident Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:36 PM

Hello,

Six months ago, I failed the paper sift for Suffolk Police however no feedback was given. I’d been a PC and a SC for another force so I had plenty of experience. When it came to the competency based questions I was very careful to hit all the criteria (Respect for Race and Diversity, Team working, Resilience, Honesty and Integrity etc…) I thought my form was really strong…turns out it wasn’t!

The only thing I can think of that they didn’t like was even though I based my answers on scenarios that I’d dealt with myself not what I would have done, they were too policeified and not based on general life. I just assumed examples of a police nature would score better than ones that weren’t.

For example, for the problem solving question (can't remember the exact wording), I wrote about when I investigated a £10,000 fraud.

My question is:

Is it better to give examples relating to general day-to-day life than to use Police examples? If you were a SC and were successful in applying to the regs, how did you tackle it?

Thanks,

Mr. Brush

#2 Tim in the South

Tim in the South

UKPOLICEONLINE Trooper

• Senior Resident Members
  • 1,934 posts
  • Interests:Travel, crime, sport (tennis), music, computers, people. Eating :-) but not drinking alcohol.
    Olympic Games

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:12 PM

Reading the information you've given, a few things spring to mind. You mention when you were a PC - and you used examples from that time. How recent was it? If it was say, 5 years ago, perhaps it would have been better to use examples gained since then.

However, you may have been unsuccessful for other reasons - eg spelling errors, and so on. Did you keep a copy of the application form? If so, perhaps a friend of yours (who is maybe a Police Officer) may go through it with an objective perspective. I did that recently for a friend of mine who was ready to submit his forms for the HPDS, and he completely re-wrote his application (successfully).

#3 gripper

gripper

UKPOLICEONLINE Master

• Senior Resident Members
  • 2,727 posts
  • Interests:Monkey hanging!

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:18 PM

Check for the latest "buzz words" as they change with time.

#4 Guybrush

Guybrush

UKPOLICEONLINE New Member

• Resident Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:48 AM

Thanks for your replies. My example I gave for investigating the fraud wasn't that recent. I'll explain further:

November 2007 - joined local force as PC

October 2009 - resigned various reasons (I'll keep it brief as elaborating would be a new post by itself!)

November 2011 - joined different local force as SC

June 2012 - applied to completely different force as a PC but failed papersift as mentioned in previous post.

So in answer to your question Tim in the South, it was four years (2008) since investigating the fraud and using it as an example on my new application. That said, I did not put when it was so it could have been anytime. As for spelling errors and grammatical errors, I checked it through with a fine tooth comb about 20 times. I even got my partner to check it and she is a teacher so I think that part of it was OK. My writing is awful so I tend to write in block capitals - including my application form. I live in Bedfordshire and given that I was rejected from Suffolk Police, would this distance be a factor?

I also got another person to read my form. She used to work in recruitment (not police related) so she knows the score and she said it was fine. It is really bugging me not knowing what it was they didn't like.

Anway, thanks again.

Guybrush

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users