• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 police-officer-1

police-officer-1

I'm New !

• Newbie Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:18 AM

I know it's a simple and stupid question; but I have my first magistrates court appearance and have no idea what to wear?!! Obviously long sleeve shirt but do I wear my kit belt and metvest?!

I work for the met - Help please!

#2 CopOopNorth

CopOopNorth

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:28 PM

It can depend on local policies. I always wore my full kit until an edict was issued which suggests that the Crown Court would no longer tolerate it. Magistrates are much more relaxed about it than Crown. So after not answering your question, I would suggest just ask a colleague whether to wear full gear or not. It won't be a dumb question.

#3 gripper

gripper

UKPOLICEONLINE Guru

• Senior Resident Members
  • 2,767 posts
  • Interests:Monkey hanging!

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:57 PM

Wear your patrol gear fella, we are supposed to be a deterrent for any disorder.
Find the PLO officer, and tell him it's your first time.
Enjoy!

#4 snafu

snafu

UKPOLICEONLINE Trooper

• 1,808 posts
  • Interests:Member of the Kenworthy Baiting Society

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:23 PM

On the occasions I have been to court seems to depend if the officer is on duty that day. If they are they come in usual kit. If not then usually shirt uniform under civvie jacket.

Magistrates seem happy with either.

That is my observation.

#5 gripper

gripper

UKPOLICEONLINE Guru

• 2,767 posts
  • Interests:Monkey hanging!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:43 AM

On the occasions I have been to court seems to depend if the officer is on duty that day. If they are they come in usual kit. If not then usually shirt uniform under civvie jacket.

Magistrates seem happy with either.

That is my observation.

In the Met, you're on duty when you go to court.
I have never been to court off duty.

#6 Tim in the South

Tim in the South

UKPOLICEONLINE Trooper

• 1,934 posts
  • Interests:Travel, crime, sport (tennis), music, computers, people. Eating :-) but not drinking alcohol.
    Olympic Games

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:31 PM

same with us - if we're off duty, and we are expected to attend court, duties are changed to show us working.

Depends on local policy. Our uniformed colleagues wear full uniform for patrol - and switch the radio off for Magistrates. For Crown Court, it's now number ones only permitted (unless you normally wear a suit, in which case, you continue to wear a suit).

#7 Narpo

Narpo

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Resident Members
  • 367 posts
  • Interests:Archaeology, history. reading, scuba diving, bushcraft/camping, etc, etc.

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:40 PM

Being old fashioned, I wear my tunic when I attend Magistrates or Crown Court.

#8 SimonT

SimonT

UKPoliceOnline Staff

• Moderators
  • 7,273 posts
  • Interests:police, climbing

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:12 PM

We dont get tunics any more. We go in white shirts for mags, with the rest of our duty kit on. For crown you have to try and force your kit, including vest into a tiny locker (you need money to lock the locker) and then give evidence in shirt alone. Personally i have always felt it stupid that we can give death messages, console rape victims and deal with everything there is to deal with in our uniform but talking about it requires a change of clothes

#9 dicksona1

dicksona1

UKPOLICEONLINE New Member

• Resident Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:09 PM

always full kit cant go wrong

#10 Frank Drebin

Frank Drebin

UKPOLICEONLINE Veteran

• 1,300 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:35 PM

For years we've gone to Mags in normal working uniform with kit. Until recently. Apparently some magistrates requested that we go back to wearing tunics as a sign of respect for the court (the fact that most of the scrotes on trial rock up in filthy trackies, if they turn up at all, is lost on them I think).

Our seniors, feeling the need to stroke the magistrates ego's outweighs any practical issues, have issued an ivory tower edict that we will now be wearing tunics for Mags as well as Crown. I imagine this will last as long as it takes for there to be an incident at court that the officers present can't deal with owing to having no kit. (Or as likely, an officer wanting to do the right thing does deal and gets hurt, and is then blamed by the force for failing to risk assess properly,...... :rolleyes:)

Edited by Frank Drebin, 19 November 2012 - 07:39 PM.

#11 kpeter20

kpeter20

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Resident Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:51 PM

Ours is full ninja kit for mags and suit for crown usually. We don't get tunics issued anymore. If we need one for ceremony then it has to be borrowed from stores.

I really am expecting them to make us pay for our own ppe soon.

#12 Sectioned Detection

Sectioned Detection

UKPOLICEONLINE Master

• 2,618 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:20 PM

For years we've gone to Mags in normal working uniform with kit. Until recently. Apparently some magistrates requested that we go back to wearing tunics as a sign of respect for the court (the fact that most of the scrotes on trial rock up in filthy trackies, if they turn up at all, is lost on them I think).

Our seniors, feeling the need to stroke the magistrates ego's outweighs any practical issues, have issued an ivory tower edict that we will now be wearing tunics for Mags as well as Crown. I imagine this will last as long as it takes for there to be an incident at court that the officers present can't deal with owing to having no kit. (Or as likely, an officer wanting to do the right thing does deal and gets hurt, and is then blamed by the force for failing to risk assess properly,...... :rolleyes:)

I'm an RPT officer and I wear RPT kit whet I go to court. Any issues the can say it to my face. Never had a problem so far.

#13 znra251

znra251

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• 561 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:30 PM

my current for issue us long sleved shirts just for court, the rest of the time we were black t-shirts.

If I'm on a normal working day with my team and going to court from work I will wear full uniform although I always take the body armour off to give evidence, something looks smarter with a nice shirt and tie.

If i'm on a rostered rest day or going straight to court from home then it's shirt and tie with no extra kit and normally a civie jacket.

my old force made us wear black tshirts to court, the first day they brought in the t-shirts I was at crown court for an appeal. The look on the crown court judges face was priceless. Luckily the defendant wore a tshirt and jeans to court so I still won. A lot of stern emails later from the judge to the chief and crown court was once again shirts and ties.

I personally think a tunic is more than is required for magistrates. A nice crisp white shirt and tie is smart enough. Crown court maybe

#14 SimonT

SimonT

UKPoliceOnline Staff

• Moderators
  • 7,273 posts
  • Interests:police, climbing

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:50 PM

We are always on a rostered work day for court, regardless of the chaos it causes our sections. The idea of going to court without all the bits and bobs is very strange to us.

We are always in full ppe until evidence is to be given as we are required to patrol the court areas to provide reassurance to witnesses and act as a deterrent to criminals. (makes preparing your testimony much easier') i have made a couple of arrests and interventions while waiting to or having given evidence.

I even got called into another court while waiting to give evidence in the other, so i could give my expert opinion on an insurance certificate.

#15 snafu

snafu

UKPOLICEONLINE Trooper

• 1,808 posts
  • Interests:Member of the Kenworthy Baiting Society

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:13 AM

In the Met, you're on duty when you go to court.
I have never been to court off duty.

Sorry poor use of words.

What I meant was on duty primarily for court on what should have been a rest day, rather that having to go to court during what is a rota duty day. Hope that makes sense?

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users