#1 kenworthy

kenworthy

UKPoliceOnline Legend

• UKPoliceOnline Reporter
  • 18,365 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:18 PM

Highways Agency switch off motorway lights to "save the planet"

http://cars.aol.co.u...ave-the-planet/

"The startling revelation has been discovered after the motoring organisation the AA"

Not startling, if you use M/ways you will know that lights in long stretches have been turned off.

" drivers have had to rely on their headlamps and cats eyes"

And the problem here is?

""They shouldn't have to squint in the dark. We're going to end up with a motorway network that's only partially lit.""

I have not had to squint in the dark, if you feel you cannot drive in the dark, do not drive then!

""The risk of fatal accidents increases in the dark simply because of reduced visibility."

Have you any figures to prove that the collision rate has gone up?

#2 MOP1

MOP1

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:38 PM

"The risk of fatal accidents increases in the dark simply because of reduced visibility."

No, the risk of fatal accidents increases in the dark simply because some drivers will not moderate their speed to cope with the reduced visibility. The original statement is like all those excuses blaming fog / dazzling sunlight etc for motoring collisions; when the decision to proceed at a speed where they are unable to stop (well) within the space they can see to be clear, is one made by the (dangerous) drivers. Somehow though, this type of excuse has become acceptable now and is seen as a mitigating rather than an aggravating factor.

#3 Bart

Bart

UKPoliceOnline Supreme Poster

• Banned
  • 6,130 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:56 PM

Don't know what the fuss is, there are no lights on my stretch of the network at all, I hear more accidents occurring on the lit sections than there does on mine.

#4 kenworthy

kenworthy

UKPoliceOnline Legend

• UKPoliceOnline Reporter
  • 18,365 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:21 PM

Don't know what the fuss is, there are no lights on my stretch of the network at all, I hear more accidents occurring on the lit sections than there does on mine.

That is due to no one driving in your section, sparse of vehicles :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

#5 Traffic Rat

Traffic Rat

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Senior Resident Members
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:59 PM

Kenners you go up and down my bit quite often and never complain about No lights. Its on Local roads that my LA are now doing this, and that is simply a question of when and not if a Collision happens.

#6 Bart

Bart

UKPoliceOnline Supreme Poster

• Banned
  • 6,130 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:45 PM

That is due to no one driving in your section, sparse of vehicles :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Mmm, you have a valid point methinks. :biggrin: :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users