• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 Samba1972

Samba1972

UKPOLICEONLINE New Member

• Resident Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:01 PM

Hi guys and gals, bought some Bates Ultra Lites for when I start at Tullialian in January. I'm ex forces so I'm used to bulling boots and shoes.

Started bulling the toe caps on the boots, didn't have any problems with the first one but for some reason I have a patch on the second one that just doesn't want to bull up.

I've tried all sorts and its still not having it, if anyone has any suggestions/tips/advice it would be appreciated.

Like I said its just one particular patch, the rest of the toecap is shining up ok. It looks like it may not be a smooth piece of leather. It's doing my head in!!

#2 mcdonnell761

mcdonnell761

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:15 AM

Try spooning it. Use your fingers to smother the polish on and I mean cover it. Then heat up a spoon and with hte back of it just start to melt the polish in and smooth it out. I use it on my No1 Shoes when they are new. Failing that, strip it right back, again use your fingers to smother your boots in polish, leave it to dry, apply another layer, let it dry then brush polish until it's partly shined. It gets rid of the imperfections in the leather ready for bulling.

#3 gerardthebutler

gerardthebutler

• Resident Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:46 AM

Been 50 years since I spooned my boots. Nice to know some things carry on :smile:

#4 mcdonnell761

mcdonnell761

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:12 PM

Been 50 years since I spooned my boots. Nice to know some things carry on :smile:

Unfortunately with the state of the finances in the MoD, the quality of the leather on shoes now is pretty poor and a lot of lads where struggling to bull them. The shoes looked like orange peel it really was awful! My dad taught me how to spoon it, works a treat. I'm hoping that I can use my boots I have already because I have one pair with Tornado Nose Cone on them, a pair of shoes painted, boots bees waxed....would save a bit of time not having to start on a new pair of shoes lol.

#5 Samba1972

Samba1972

• Resident Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:44 AM

Just to let you know, I managed to sort the boot out. Just stripped the polish and started again from scratch. Did a lot of brush polishing followed by applying lots of layers of polish. It's come up ok now.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users