• This topic is locked This topic is locked
27 replies to this topic

#1 Futures

Futures

UKPOLICEONLINE Veteran

• Senior Resident Members
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:05 PM

Application pack sent off yesterday so fingers crossed I'll be okay this time!

I applied a few years back when I was 17 and I didn't pass the interview which was pretty gutting but also understandable. Hopefully with a few years of working behind me and a bit more life experience I'll be okay this time!

Anyone else out there applying to Wiltshire?

#2 Futures

Futures

UKPOLICEONLINE Veteran

• 1,548 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:13 PM

So I attended my PIRT last Saturday and had my interview on the same day and this time I passed the interview so I've been provisionally accepted as a Special Constable. I've got a few concerns though and I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me out with them:

I've heard (not seen it for definite) that during the medical examination they asses your BMI and that it has to be below 30. The problem is mine is currently 31.2. I'm 5"11 and weigh 224lb. In the past month I've dropped down from 239lb. I've been hitting the gym really hard and sticking to a balanced diet. My only concern is that I'm going to fail my medical based on this. I'm hoping to get my BMI down to 30.7 by the time of my medical but without risking my health I don't think it's possible to get it down anymore. 

If anyone could offer their views on this I'd be really grateful!

#3 Sub-seven

Sub-seven

UKPOLICEONLINE Icon

• Suspended Pending Review
  • 4,960 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:21 PM

I'm hoping to get my BMI down to 30.7 by the time of my medical but without risking my health I don't think it's possible to get it down anymore. 

But you are risking your health by being obese.

#4 Futures

Futures

UKPOLICEONLINE Veteran

• 1,548 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:27 PM

But you are risking your health by being obese.

I'm well aware of that. Hence me joining a gym, eating healthy and stopping smoking (51 days and counting) - The fact I've lost 15lb in a month clearly shows that I'm doing something to combat the problem. 

#5 dolly1966

dolly1966

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• 588 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy walking my dogs, meeting up with friends, travelling and dining out.

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:49 PM

At the Medical they will advise you tat your BMI is over.

They should give you a couple of months to get it down tho.

Well done for stopping the smoking, keep up the good work you lil Gym Bunny you.

#6 Futures

Futures

UKPOLICEONLINE Veteran

• 1,548 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:06 PM

At the Medical they will advise you tat your BMI is over.

They should give you a couple of months to get it down tho.

Well done for stopping the smoking, keep up the good work you lil Gym Bunny you.

That's great, thank you for clearing that up! I'd hate to have come this far only to be told "sorry pal, you're a bit too chubby!"

#7 dolly1966

dolly1966

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• 588 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy walking my dogs, meeting up with friends, travelling and dining out.

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:25 AM

Thats ok

Just keep up the good wrk.

#8 wakeywakey28

wakeywakey28

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • 148 posts
  • Interests:chicken

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:54 PM

To be honest, you should be able to lose weight fairly easily. Get plenty of exercise and eat a high protein low carb diet.

#9 Futures

Futures

UKPOLICEONLINE Veteran

• 1,548 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:59 PM

To be honest, you should be able to lose weight fairly easily. Get plenty of exercise and eat a high protein low carb diet.

That's what I'm going for. I've been using this app called my fitness pal and it's great for showing you the proportion of carbs, protein and fat that is in my diet. I'm going to be responsible for the deaths of hundreds of chickens, turkeys and fish over the next few weeks.

#10 countybounty

countybounty

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • 116 posts
  • Interests:A little bit of everything.

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:00 PM

Hey just do a lot of cardio and cut out the sweets and soft drinks! I was the same as you I went from 224lbs to 164lbs before I started training. If you show that you are losing weight im sure the medical guys will take that into account. Good Luck!

#11 Futures

Futures

UKPOLICEONLINE Veteran

• 1,548 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:15 PM

Hey just do a lot of cardio and cut out the sweets and soft drinks! I was the same as you I went from 224lbs to 164lbs before I started training. If you show that you are losing weight im sure the medical guys will take that into account. Good Luck!

What an achievement! Nicely done! I'm off to the gym again now, and then it's time for chicken! Thank you!

#12 Sub-seven

Sub-seven

UKPOLICEONLINE Icon

• Suspended Pending Review
  • 4,960 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:34 PM

It's simple - eat less and do more.

#13 countybounty

countybounty

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:56 PM

What an achievement! Nicely done! I'm off to the gym again now, and then it's time for chicken! Thank you!

It had to be done i had just finished uni and was a little bit over weight from all the drinking and take aways ha ha. So my friend and I decided to have a biggest loser competition, so gym 6 days a week and two meals a day, water only and no eating after six. For the first few months I was losing 5lbs a week, and then it was a steady decline to the weight im at now. Im by no means a sporty guy and propably before starting the gym the last peron you would see in there, but the thought of not being able to past the old bleep test or not fit into my stabby was all the encouragement I needed. Keep at it!!!

#14 AranL

AranL

UKPOLICEONLINE Full Member

• Resident Members
  • 205 posts
  • Interests:Police and Military equipment and Martial Arts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:20 PM

BMI is important but if you can get your self in decent shape to pass bleep test and puch pull test you should be ok, Remember on the BMI all England rugby players are obese or morbidly obese! just keep fit and watch how u go

#15 Tomo5278

Tomo5278

I'm New !

• Newbie Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:27 AM

2meals aday!!!!!!! You need to eat little and often I eat 5 meals aday high protein low carb it keeps your metabolism in fat burning mode. I also do lots of weight training 4x interval training twice a week. Lost so far 8.5 stone. Good luck x

#16 AranL

AranL

UKPOLICEONLINE Full Member

• Resident Members
  • 205 posts
  • Interests:Police and Military equipment and Martial Arts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:25 AM

ANy update on Futures application getting any further?

#17 Futures

Futures

UKPOLICEONLINE Veteran

• 1,548 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:15 PM

I've passed medical and fitness and been invited to a drugs test and awareness event which means I've passed vetting. Pretty pleased!

#18 countybounty

countybounty

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:38 PM

I've passed medical and fitness and been invited to a drugs test and awareness event which means I've passed vetting. Pretty pleased!

Great mate! :tongue:

#19 Carver87

Carver87

UKPOLICEONLINE New Member

• Resident Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:00 PM

Congrats on passing medical and fitness, and well done for getting your weight down and general standard of fitness up.

This isn't a health forum so I won't dwell on it but do not go OTT with lack of food or exercise. You need to eat to keep your energy levels up. Someone else said, little and often. High protein, low carb (although good carbs are a dietary necessity and shouldn't be ignored) and stay well hydrated. Even a moderate exercise regime should work wonders combined with a good diet. 

Essentially don't do too much too soon it can backfire spectacularly. Take it from someone who lost too much weight very quickly.

Best of luck with training! :)

#20 dolly1966

dolly1966

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• 588 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:52 AM

Well done you

:clapping:  :toast:  :yahoo:

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users