Hello everyone,

I'm due to start with South Yorkshire Police in a few weeks, and although I can't wait, I'm really nervous! I found the tips given here very useful with regards to getting stuck in, learning definitions before starting etc. I was just wondering if anybody had the links to a website/books that will give me the proper definitions of things like TWOC etc, so I can make sure I'm looking at the right stuff!

Thanks

Amy

Hi

Are you starting training or beat duty? If training:

Don't worry about definitions and all, as you will all get an input in the different offences during your course. Just enjoy the experience.

If beat duty: just buy a copy of beat companion and that should refresh your memory.

Good Luck

Thanks for your reply - I'll be starting training. I've just heard that it's really full on and information overload, and as I haven't had to revise for a few years I though the more I can get my head around now, the better :biggrin:

Hi,

I was in the exact same situation as you - having not studied for some time.

I learnt a few definitions beforehand such as theft and common law - however I found that everything is fed to you at an easy to manage level.

The method I used to enhance my learning was to make flash cards with the definitions on and test myself.

Paul

Don't worry about it.

You can start learning the definitions but there isn't really a need, the trainers go through it all with you.

So are you starting on intake 7? Guess that will be after xmas now?

Hello!

Firstly, congratulations!!

Secondly, good luck!!

My advice, similar to other replies here would be to grab yourself a copy of The Beat Officer's Companion and keep it with you even when you get onto your area. Pop it in your kit bag as it WILL come in handy! I bought the Traffic one too but I haven't found it that useful yet.

There's a book on PACE available too, its around £25 but I found it useful. May be worth hunting around for a cheaper copy?

As you progress through your course it's important to find a revision method that suits you. geordiepaul mentioned flash cards, I found them pretty useful and I stuck them around my flat in places where I'd read them regularly (above the kettle etc) so it sunk in. Also I found writing definitions on massive pages of flip chart and blu tacking them to the walls helped too. Crazy I know, but when you have the whole of s.170 RTA plastered across 4 flipchart pages in your living room it soon sinks in trust me!

Hope this helps :)

Hey,

I wouldn't worry as the trainers will guide you through what you need to know. The books mentioned previously are good. I also downloaded an app to my phone - powers and points - for a fiver. It's basic law, perfect for a student officer, and allows you to study/ refresh your memory whilst grabbing a coffee.

Good luck

Hi Amy.

I'm starting training with Lancs police on Jan 7th from a background of 5 years as a PCSO.

I've bought a book called "Blackstones handbook for policing students 2013" and so far its proved quite enlightening. I have not had to study/revise properly for about 20 years so thought this might give me an advantage or at least bring me up to a level footing with all the younger lot that will no doubt be training too...

Good luck and may the force be with you....

• Like 1