intheblitz

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Senior Resident Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

Sorry?

It was sarcasm..........

Sorry if you missed it, however the art of good questioning is using the answers given in whatever way necessary to gain the out come you want.

#178 OFFLINE   gripper

gripper

UKPOLICEONLINE Guru

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,869 posts
  • Interests:Monkey hanging!

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:27 PM

Sorry?

It was sarcasm..........

Sorry if you missed it, however the art of good questioning is using the answers given in whatever way necessary to gain the out come you want.

You've been watching to much telly

#179 OFFLINE   Sub-seven

Sub-seven

UKPOLICEONLINE Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,962 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

It was sarcasm..........

... as opposed to the truth?

#180 OFFLINE   intheblitz

intheblitz

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• PipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:38 PM

You've been watching to much telly

No, just in sales for nearly 30 years. I want the answer "yes" and customers often start by saying "no", however at the end of a good sales call I get a "yes".

... as opposed to the truth?

They are not mutually exclusive.

Edited by intheblitz, 30 January 2013 - 04:38 PM.

#181 OFFLINE   gripper

gripper

UKPOLICEONLINE Guru

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,869 posts
  • Interests:Monkey hanging!

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

I don't buy that.

#182 OFFLINE   intheblitz

intheblitz

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• PipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:03 PM

I don't buy that.

You will, just give me time.

#183 OFFLINE   Fritz@Customs

Fritz@Customs

UKPOLICEONLINE Full Member

• Resident Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:59 PM

No, just in sales for nearly 30 years. I want the answer "yes" and customers often start by saying "no", however at the end of a good sales call I get a "yes".

They are not mutually exclusive.

Salesmen are paid to get the customer to agree to buy something he didn't want in the first place.

Investigators are paid to gather evidence to be weighed by juries, not to get the suspect to agree he committed the crime in return for a 2.5% discount and a calender at Xmas.

#184 OFFLINE   intheblitz

intheblitz

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• PipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:17 PM

Salesmen are paid to get the customer to agree to buy something he didn't want in the first place.

Investigators are paid to gather evidence to be weighed by juries, not to get the suspect to agree he committed the crime in return for a 2.5% discount and a calender at Xmas.

It is about the art of questioning and getting the right answers. The investgator "knows" the scrote did it, getting him to admit it via questioning is IMHO an art form, a bit like watching a very good salesman in action.

#185 OFFLINE   Bart

Bart

UKPO Staff

• Moderators
  • 6,288 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

This is all off topic, my final part in this off topic action - many moons ago, I interviewed a military scrote on tape for theft, this soldier wasn't very bright, I held a piece of paper up whilst talking which simply said "I know it was you" and lo and behold - he coughed in full!!!! Never had one that easy after that. :wink:

#186 OFFLINE   Fritz@Customs

Fritz@Customs

• Resident Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:41 PM

It is about the art of questioning and getting the right answers. The investgator "knows" the scrote did it, getting him to admit it via questioning is IMHO an art form, a bit like watching a very good salesman in action.

It's probably why my sales career was so short lived, but I have to disagree.

Very few interviews are about getting a cough from the suspect. If they're going to confess, they'll do it at the outset.

Even when you demonstrate the utter stupidity of part of their tale, they keep going. Interview technique is about letting the suspect give his explanation, challenging it and leaving the jury to consider that explanation in light of the evidence of wrongdoing. In fifteen years of caution interviewing, I had one suspect who switched to a confession after his story was demolished. Usually, they roll over before trial when their lawyer points out just how incriminating their interview is.

I had a chap once who refused to admit he controlled a particular phone number even when I seized his sweatshirt during the interview because his phone number was embroidered on it.

#187 OFFLINE   GeorgeH

GeorgeH

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Resident Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

Interviews vary on who you are questioning. It is part art and part science. If they intend to lie, then the interview locks in their lie.

#188 OFFLINE   Fritz@Customs

Fritz@Customs

• Resident Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:11 PM

Interviews vary on who you are questioning. It is part art and part science. If they intend to lie, then the interview locks in their lie.

Agreed.

Once committed to a version of events, they struggle to account for any additional evidence.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users