18 replies to this topic

#1 jontif

jontif

UKPOLICEONLINE New Member

• Resident Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:17 AM

Can anyone explain how the shift allowance works for the call handler position.  Ive been told its a basic plus 20% shift allowance.  Is this allowance 20% of the annual salary applied in equal portions over the year or is it based on how many unsociable hours your work per month and its added onto that or is is added onto the entire shift worked if it includes an unsociable element?

#2 Sub-seven

Sub-seven

UKPOLICEONLINE Icon

• Resident Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,960 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:38 AM

Pretty sure it depends where you work.

#3 jontif

jontif

• Resident Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:30 PM

it'll be GMP 

#4 Glassy

Glassy

I'm New !

• Newbie Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

It will be your basic salary, plus 20% of that basic salary. You will probably get weekend working allowance as well, which wil depend on the kind of shift patern that you work.

#5 jontif

jontif

• Resident Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:51 PM

Thanks very much. I was concerned that it would be only for the unsociable hours element

#6 popularfurball

popularfurball

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:05 PM

Unless they have changed it in last six months it equates to 33% ish (shift + unsocial hours). If you are on the standard shift pattern it equates to wage plus a third (so if on £15k, it will be £20k with allowances). Welcome! :D

#7 jontif

jontif

• Resident Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:06 PM

Thanks I hope that this is the case as I was on 20K in my last job and have taken a drop to 17K to work for the police... and as I am a sole breadwinner with a mortgage every penny will count.  I am totally stoked to have got the job tbh as over 1000 people applied...will be starting next month

#8 tron_bon

tron_bon

I'm New !

• Newbie Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:31 AM

I'm not sure if my other message sent sorry!  Bit of an odd message but  I've been scanning Google / Forum Posts for other people who've passed interviews / assessments with GMP.  I passed in November and the status of my application is still in 'background checks' - I also passed a medical in December but that's the last I've heard from them.  When did you get advised on your start date?

#9 jontif

jontif

• Resident Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:05 PM

I received the offer notification at the end of November, the vetting and medical took place after that date and I passed the vetting about a month later.  They wanted me to start on the January induction but I had to give 4 weeks notice...

#10 tron_bon

tron_bon

I'm New !

• Newbie Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

I'm a bit concerned with how long the process is taking now! I've emailed the recruitment department to query anyway. Hopefully I'll hear something soon and may be working with you in the near future!

#11 jontif

jontif

• Resident Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:27 PM

So you'll be working at Trafford when u start? Well done on getting through the interview process. Hope they come back to you soon re start dates

#12 tron_bon

tron_bon

I'm New !

• Newbie Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:44 PM

I passed the interview / assessment in early November and my application has pretty much been in 'background checks' status since. I'm meant to be based in Chester House when I start yep! Do you know anyone else who has applied who are still waiting on a start date?

#13 jontif

jontif

• Resident Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:40 PM

I don't know anyone else who has applied or even how many are in my course I'm afraid. Just have to be patient I guess. Vetting can take a while I think. Although you passed the interviews around the same time as me so I'm unsure of the hold up in your case :(

#14 popularfurball

popularfurball

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:08 AM

It's worth a phone call :)

#15 tron_bon

tron_bon

I'm New !

• Newbie Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:15 AM

You're not wrong haha! All pretty much sorted now :D

#16 jontif

jontif

• Resident Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:45 AM

what was the outcome? have u a start date?

#17 tron_bon

tron_bon

I'm New !

• Newbie Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

Looks like I should be starting in March! Just awaiting confirmation before handing in my notice and what not. Absolutely delighted!

#18 jontif

jontif

• Resident Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:28 PM

Congratulations. You must be thrilled. Hopefully see you around once u start

#19 Guest_Area 51_*

Guest_Area 51_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:32 AM

Your shift allowance totally depends on where you work and the police service you are with. Where I work I get the full 20% shift allowance and a whole load of other allowances which bump my salary up to around £31,000+ as well as that there is always overtime going which is time and a half. On a side note I wish you and everyone else who is starting as an emergency call handler the best of luck. You get to hear the other side of life that no one talks about. It is a demanding job but you will love it.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users