• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 Blueboy

Blueboy

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Resident Members
  • 451 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:44 AM

Chatting with team mates at a training day recently regarding when / how often you carry your warrant card when off duty and it appeared that we had the full spectrum, from every minute of every day, to never? What are your feelings on this? Do you carry yours all of the time or not at all?

#2 Djmt444

Djmt444

I'm New !

• Newbie Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:51 AM

100% of the time

#3 kpeter20

kpeter20

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Resident Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:31 AM

Never when I might misplace it, like when on a night out. Otherwise I have it on me all the time. Sleep naked with it around my neck on a chain. ;)

#4 Altair

Altair

UKPOLICEONLINE Veteran

• Police Service (Officer)
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:17 AM

This is quite a common question for new recruits which I haven't seen for some time on here, mostly due to the lack of recruitment from all of the forces.

I think you will always get two answers here from two different camps just as you would if you ask the question if we should all be routinely armed.

Some carry theirs and have it in a warrant card holder which is also used as a wallet, some hate the thought of having it with them. Generally those who always have it keep it on nights out and those who hate the thought don't take it out with them.

It's entirely your choice really, but bare in mind as you're a new recruit you should be cautious if you get that disco card out because not everyone is so pro-police and it can sometimes make a situation worse when simply talking first would have resolved the situation.

Just be an adult about it and don't go around flashing it....ever.

Good luck.

#5 SimonT

SimonT

UKPoliceOnline Staff

• Moderators
  • 7,246 posts
  • Interests:police, climbing

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:21 AM

At work, on the way to work and on the way back. I dont need it at any other time and losing it, as some colleagues have is very expensive in doughnuts 

#6 Altair

Altair

UKPOLICEONLINE Veteran

• 1,716 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:27 AM

At work, on the way to work and on the way back. I dont need it at any other time and losing it, as some colleagues have is very expensive in doughnuts 

Ultimate cake fine that one mate! Much more than a PVA or losing a prisoner I reckon! Some poor lad on one of my old teams had to book leave because of all the cake fines he incurred and it eventually went into shift kebab territory! Mwahahaha

#7 SimonT

SimonT

UKPoliceOnline Staff

• Moderators
  • 7,246 posts
  • Interests:police, climbing

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:56 AM

kebab territory - thats got to have been a real bad mistake. And costly. 

#8 marralass

marralass

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Senior Resident Members
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

I know some PC's took there's to a festival were they were customers, not working. I know this because their warrant cards got nicked. That's to the security company they were recovered and returned without any reports being made. They were very, very lucky!!

I would recommend that you don't take them on a night out if you're in the habit of getting more than a tad merry. If you produce it to Doorstaff whilst drunk in an effort to persuade them to let you in, they will not risk getting physical with you to try and make you go on your way, they will call the police to deal with you.

#9 Bart

Bart

UKPoliceOnline Supreme Poster

• Banned
  • 6,130 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

I wish I could've paid my fine with doughnuts. I lost my RMP warrant card in 1991 and got fined £200!!!!

#10 ab1982

ab1982

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:43 PM

Keep mine with me when at work (in uniform or plain clothes).  Never ever take it on a night out

I put it in my wallet if going in town for shopping or anything like that but i only keep it in the force warrant card holder when at work.

#11 *Matt*

*Matt*

UKPOLICEONLINE Full Member

• Resident Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

Always unless I am expecting to be drunk.  Then absolutely no good can come from me carrying it!

#12 Wrist Assessment

Wrist Assessment

UKPOLICEONLINE Full Member

• Resident Members
  • 288 posts
  • Interests:Fell running, Photography, Gardening - but not at the same time!

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

I wish I could've paid my fine with doughnuts. I lost my RMP warrant card in 1991 and got fined £200!!!!

They wouldn't have made it from the doughnut emporium to where the fine needed paying!!!  :crazy:

#13 Sectioned Detection

Sectioned Detection

UKPOLICEONLINE Master

• 2,604 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:30 PM

Accidentally left mine in my wallet one night and lost it in a pub, which was annoying as I NEVER take it out for this very reason. God was smiling on me that night as by a million to one chance it was picked up by the young girl who works at our local sandwich shop. She left a discrete message at work asking me to ring her and I got it back without cakes!

#14 Altair

Altair

UKPOLICEONLINE Veteran

• 1,716 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:58 PM

Accidentally left mine in my wallet one night and lost it in a pub, which was annoying as I NEVER take it out for this very reason. God was smiling on me that night as by a million to one chance it was picked up by the young girl who works at our local sandwich shop. She left a discrete message at work asking me to ring her and I got it back without cakes!

I think because you've just coughed to that mate, it's forum cakes for everyone...

I don't make the rules i'm afraid! :whistling:

#15 Sectioned Detection

Sectioned Detection

UKPOLICEONLINE Master

• 2,604 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:08 PM

Err....did I say me...I meant a mate of mine!

#16 Frank Drebin

Frank Drebin

UKPOLICEONLINE Veteran

• 1,300 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:26 AM

Only have it on duty, never off, not even to and from work. When I'm off duty it stays in the pocket of my stabby in my locker. Can't be bothered with the grief that would follow losing it so choose to minimise the risk of that happening.  Can't think of a good reason why I'd need it off duty anyway. (except possibly claiming the emergency services discount at Nando's,.. :crazy: )

#17 jacko6686

jacko6686

UKPOLICEONLINE Trooper

• 1,801 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:44 AM

I haven't been through training but my instinct would be to never carry it out anywhere off duty. I think getting yourself in a situation where you believe producing it will save your bacon or aid your course will not end well. As someone has already stated, everybody isn't pro police.

#18 gripper

gripper

UKPOLICEONLINE Guru

• 2,756 posts
  • Interests:Monkey hanging!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:33 PM

When I joined, I thought we were supposed to carry it, most of the time. So as to be able to produce it, in a situation, on the street. Mind you it was a long time ago.

#19 Bart

Bart

UKPoliceOnline Supreme Poster

• Banned
  • 6,130 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:22 PM

Yeah grips, when you joined the mob - centurion was a rank not a tank!!! :wink:

#20 gripper

gripper

UKPOLICEONLINE Guru

• 2,756 posts