#76 OFFLINE   gripper

gripper

UKPOLICEONLINE Guru

• Senior Resident Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,869 posts
  • Interests:Monkey hanging!

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:04 PM

The piece of plastic that is your warrant card does not carry your powers. ie. if it is at home and you aren't you don't suddenly stop being a police officer. I've worked in plain clothes for a number of years in my service and have not once produced my warrant card when locking folk up.

Being in plain clothes is totally different from being off duty, I've flashed the badge and bluffed it before uniform turned up, with a pair of nasty shop lifters I 'detained'.
In plain clothes I would have my OS kit with me, a totally different scenario.
I always carry my warrant card with me, and producing it does away with the "you're Police prove it" debacle, when you can't produce anything.

Edited by gripper, 09 March 2014 - 07:05 PM.

#77 OFFLINE   cheesedoff

cheesedoff

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:13 PM

20 odd years in and never needed it off duty other than to pop in to a nick to use the bog !

#78 OFFLINE   Sub-seven

Sub-seven

UKPOLICEONLINE Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,962 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:14 PM

That is what my old force classed it as… but I do wonder what people do if they are not carrying their warrant card and become aware a crime has been committed. To ignore it would be neglect of duty but no means to ID yourself

I know it was your old force that was going to pay that PC 4 hours OT for making a phone call.

Shouldn't make any difference whether you are carrying it or not, I'd like to think we would all act accordingly and tie up the loose ends later.

Gripper is right with what he said but it would not change my course of action if I had to get involved.

#79 OFFLINE   gripper

gripper

UKPOLICEONLINE Guru

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,869 posts
  • Interests:Monkey hanging!

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:17 PM

20 odd years in and never needed it off duty other than to pop in to a nick to use the bog !

Lucky you, tell me where you live so I can retire there. ;)

#80 OFFLINE   cheesedoff

cheesedoff

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 10:27 PM

Lucky you, tell me where you live so I can retire there. ;)

A proper shithole up north! I just don't get involved in petty rubbish and when I have locked folk up off duty, I haven't needed it

#81 OFFLINE   Echelon

Echelon

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:46 PM

By rights you are a Police Officer 24hrs a day 365 days a year on or off duty (In England and Wales of course).

I have on occasion "had to intervene" when off duty and am thankful I always carry my warrant card with me .

I was told this on joining and have always abided by this instruction.

The only time I did not was when I visited Northern Ireland in 1987 and again that  was an instruction given as one had to seek authorisation to travel to the province as troubles were high and the common sense advice was given.

#82 OFFLINE   irishwarrior

irishwarrior

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:59 AM

A police officer in the uk is 1 cop to 500 people.im proud to be in the service and will always carry my warrant. Like many have said i may not need it. But it wont hurt to have just incase. 😆

#83 OFFLINE   nathanwil2014

nathanwil2014

I'm New !

• Resident Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:55 PM

Definitely interesting hear both sides

#84 OFFLINE   blueb

blueb

UKPOLICEONLINE Trooper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:24 PM

I also have a nectar card in my wallet incase it gets a few unexpected extra bonus points.  If it comes to a scrap there is no time to show your card and if its quiet them there is time for you to just tell someone you are police until the onduty team arrives.  Carry it, don't carry it, makes no real difference either way. 

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users