• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 Dan.24

Dan.24

I'm New !

• Newbie Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:39 AM

Hi I'm Dan & new to this site & joined to get a feel what it is like in the Police Force & if I can even get in. I'm 22 & all I've ever wanted to do is join the police whether Paid or unpaid as a special since I was a kid. I have a criminal tho. When I was 17 I crashed my car speeding & got 5 points on my licence for careless driving the only reason they didn't ban me was because I looked after my ill Nan. I also have a common assault caution & have had seat belt fines & a section 59. Shouldn't of really been so naive or stupid but didn't really think when I was younger. All my own fault but how much will this affect me trying to get in or is it not even worth trying??? It has been a dream but reading what ADMIN Black Rat post says looks like I've blown my dream & will just have to figure out a different goal in life but nothing really compares. All my offences were when I was between 17 & 18 when I was an idiot with my mates. If anyone can give me advice or any information much appreciated. Thanks, Dan

#2 dolly1966

dolly1966

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Senior Resident Members
  • 588 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy walking my dogs, meeting up with friends, travelling and dining out.

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:39 AM

Hi Dan.

Welcome to the site.

I am not in the police i am just going to give you some encouragement and advice.

Do not beat your self up about what happened a few years ago, you were young and inexperienced.

Everyone makes mistakes and if you do not make mistakes you do not learn, and from what you have written you certainly sound as though you have learnt.

As far as i am aware a conviction is classed of as spent after 10 years which means i think even though it would come up on a vetting check on you it  should not have any adverse effects on employment oppotunities. (as i mentioned before i am not in the police so to be honest with you i really do not know wether it would affect you applying for them).

There are lots of other people on this site that hopefully will be able to advise you better.

What you could perhaps do in the meantime because it would certainly look good on your application form and would help you in "Have you ever been in a situation where...........what did you do.....and what was the outcome....." questions is perhaps work on a voluntary basis with young people youth work(even though you are a youth yourself lol).  Get a lot of experience with the general public. 

I am sure that even if you have to put your dream on hold for six years if you gain as much knowledge and understanding of people, perhaps even do a NVQ in Custdodial Care that would have to be a good and positive thing,

Its going to be interesting to see what other people have to say on this subject.

All the best good luck and well done you for being so honest.

Dolly :bye:

#3 SimonT

SimonT

UKPoliceOnline Staff

• Moderators
  • 7,273 posts
  • Interests:police, climbing

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:41 AM

Your are very unlikely to have a chance. Not only are we barely recruiting but we have many many applicants without any previous dealings with police. 

You would be better off looking at another job. 

#4 morek54

morek54

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• 1,028 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:59 AM

Agree with Simon.  Sorry - look to do something else instead.  That said, the way this job's is going, its probably done you a favour that you'll probably never fully appreciate.

#5 Ed67812

Ed67812

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:11 AM

As above, there are 1000s of applicants with squeaky clean backgrounds, who have never come into contact with the Police. I know that it easy to be a prat when you are 17-18 and mess about and I do not believe that this should ruin the rest of your life. However, you did come to Police notice a few times by the sound of it. I spent my 17-18 years doing things like DoE gold award, captaining sports clubs, voluntary work etc. That isn't meant to be judgmental, I have no idea of your background and admit to mine being comfortable and supportive (I know a lot of people grew up with tougher lifes than me), but you'll be up against numerous candidates who can evidence similar things that I could.

More importantly, your caution would be disclosable under the disclosure rules, ie. the defence would be made aware of your caution every time that you put a statement in for a job or were OIC (which for me averages involvment in more than one job a day). The defence can then use this to discredit you in court. Imagine if you have arrested someone and ended up using reasonable force. "Officer are you a violent man", "No Your Honour", "But Officer is it not right that you have a criminal record that includes assault?", "Yes, but....", "Officer, an assault conviction indicates to me that you are a violent man"...... The thing that I would say is that if I was cautioned for assault now, I would expect to be sacked.

Never say never, there is nothing to stop you applying and I do not imagine your application would automatically be terminated, but I would guess that the chances of getting in with that background is pretty much nil in the current climate. Like I say, this is only my personal experience on this forum, I am a lowly response cop with no background in recruitment and this opinion is given honestly and frankly to try and assist you. Speak to your local force and see what they say.    

Edited by Ed67812, 22 January 2013 - 10:11 AM.

#6 dacsurban

dacsurban

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:28 PM

Sorry to sound harsh but if all you have ever wanted to do is join the police - you should have thought about that before committing all the offences.

Look at doing something else and dont waste your time.

You havent got any hope of getting into a job within the police paid or unpaid.

Thousands of people apply for the police and they can afford to only recruit the very best applicants who have never been in any kind of trouble with the police.

Also as previously mentioned, every time you have to appear in court your credibility will be questioned due to your past so the police will not take the risk of employing someone who can lose them cases in court.

#7 GeorgeH

GeorgeH

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Resident Members
  • 446 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:39 AM

Move to the US. One careless driving ticket will not bar you and the US has nothing like your "caution." Get here and go to school. Get a proper 4 year degree. Become a US citizen and if you want to be a cop, and you are not crazy or a felon, then you will most likely become a cop.  

#8 Dan.24

Dan.24

I'm New !

• Newbie Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:42 AM

Hi thanks for all the support & information looks like I might have to look into something else by the sound of it. If I can not get into the POLICE here I am definitely interested in trying in another country like America but if I have a criminal record here how can I get in there if they have strict laws about people with criminal records. I am going to try anyway but sounds virtually impossible for me, but I can do nothing but try. If I do try at the application process & fail do they let you know why or give a reason? 

#9 Narpo

Narpo

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Resident Members
  • 367 posts
  • Interests:Archaeology, history. reading, scuba diving, bushcraft/camping, etc, etc.

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:23 AM

No, I do not think that you will get in.

#10 Jaydee

Jaydee

UKPOLICEONLINE Master

• 2,253 posts
  • Interests:Rugby, swimming, athletics, playing the drums and I have a keen interest in engineering.

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:10 AM

Whilst I think you know from previous comments on here that your chances of being recruited to any area of the Police is minimal I am sure it wouldn't harm to phone up your chosen force and ask to speak to somebody from recruitment vetting. Best to speak to those that make the final decisions before you give up completely. I won't take the moral high ground like some people love to do because you know you cocked up and that is something you will have to deal with but don't let it discourage you from trying to achieve something!

Just pick up the phone and see what response you get and base your next move on what happens from there.

Best of luck!

#11 sykes

sykes

UKPOLICEONLINE Trooper

• Police Service (Officer)
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:47 AM

As already stated at this  time you have no chance of getting past the first hurdle I wouldn't waste your time on false hopes that recruitment might say go ahead, and i doubt you would get into the USA let alone join the police over there, from what you have said sounds like you still have a lot of growing up to do, that s fine everyone different , you seem to have recognised your mistakes and at 22 youve still got plenty of time to apply in the future, find yourself something else give it a few years keep out of trouble and then have a look how things are at least you will give yourself a bit of a chance by showing how you have moved on in your life, still no guarantee but better chance than you have at present

#12 Tim in the South

Tim in the South

UKPOLICEONLINE Trooper

• 1,934 posts
  • Interests:Travel, crime, sport (tennis), music, computers, people. Eating :-) but not drinking alcohol.
    Olympic Games

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:15 AM

It may be wise for you to think of another career, as with the other posters, I suspect that although there is nothing to prevent you from applying, when it comes to the vetting stage, you may find that your application is terminated.

Again, entering and being successful in another career for the next 10 years or so, we may find that recruitment is fully open, and a force may consider your application. 

If you're not a US citizen, I believe that to become a police officer in the US, you have to be a US citizen. Given your previous criminal history, you may find that you can't obtain the relevant visas to live and work in the US, let alone to become a US citizen. 

BUT - if you don't try, you'll never know. You may then spend the rest of your life wondering "if only ... ". What do you have to lose? What's the worst thing that can happen? You spend a lot of time and energy in your application, and then receive a rejection letter. 

#13 dolly1966

dolly1966

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• 588 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy walking my dogs, meeting up with friends, travelling and dining out.

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:09 PM

It may be wise for you to think of another career, as with the other posters, I suspect that although there is nothing to prevent you from applying, when it comes to the vetting stage, you may find that your application is terminated.

Again, entering and being successful in another career for the next 10 years or so, we may find that recruitment is fully open, and a force may consider your application. 

If you're not a US citizen, I believe that to become a police officer in the US, you have to be a US citizen. Given your previous criminal history, you may find that you can't obtain the relevant visas to live and work in the US, let alone to become a US citizen. 

BUT - if you don't try, you'll never know. You may then spend the rest of your life wondering "if only ... ". What do you have to lose? What's the worst thing that can happen? You spend a lot of time and energy in your application, and then receive a rejection letter. 

I agree

:bye:

#14 kernowmoose

kernowmoose

I'm New !

• Resident Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:09 PM

Why not consider royal military police or RAF police? RMP slightly harder to get into, but if you kept your head down for a few years you may find some doors open further in your future.

#15 Ed67812

Ed67812

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:00 PM

Why not consider royal military police or RAF police? RMP slightly harder to get into, but if you kept your head down for a few years you may find some doors open further in your future.

I've heard they were even tougher in vetting than County forces??

#16 kernowmoose

kernowmoose

I'm New !

• Resident Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:39 PM

I'm pretty sure the mils vetting is quite lapse in comparison to us. I have a few friends who were naughty kids that are now serving in various roles. out of interest Ed are you MPS?

#17 Kev_Stirling

Kev_Stirling

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:58 PM

You can only try!

#18 Bart

Bart

UKPoliceOnline Supreme Poster

• Banned
  • 6,130 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:08 PM

RMP do strict vetting too, it's not so easy to walk straight into. I was vetted before joining RMP.

#19 Ed67812

Ed67812

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:14 PM

I'm pretty sure the mils vetting is quite lapse in comparison to us. I have a few friends who were naughty kids that are now serving in various roles. out of interest Ed are you MPS?

Nope, I'm not MPS.................wish I had transferred to the met when I was younger though!!!!

Edited by Ed67812, 20 March 2013 - 07:15 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users