• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 kenworthy

kenworthy

UKPoliceOnline Legend

• UKPoliceOnline Reporter
  • 18,364 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

Federation lead's request gets approval of chief constable as beanie hats are introduced to help stave off the cold.As the country braces for more snow and ice, officers at Thames Valley Police can now order a uniform-issue woolly hat to keep them warm.
The new black knitted beanie has “Police” embroidered across the front and is intended to keep officers warm when they have to stand still for long periods of time outdoors, said PC Lisa Stanhope, Health and Safety lead for the Federation.
However, officers will not be wearing them on patrol.
“When the weather is like it has been this week – with big flakes of snow and low temperatures – and you’re standing still at a scene until someone comes to relieve you, it can be really cold,” said PC Stanhope.
“Police officers do complain about not having any decent headgear that keeps them warm.
“Once you’re standing there, you know you’re going to be there for the duration and a flat hat or a bowler just doesn’t keep out the cold.”
PC Stanhope researched the subject and wrote a formal proposal for a warmer hat but in the end it came down to asking Thames Valley Police Chief Constable Sara Thornton directly.
“It doesn’t sound like something you would take up with the chief herself. It sounds insignificant and it did get a roar of laughter from around the room but the chief said she didn’t have an issue with the idea,” she explained.
Officers who are patrolling or sitting in vehicles will not be able to wear the new woolly hats but for those who have to stand still outdoors for long periods it should make a difference, said PC Stanhope.
She added that the force will benefit too with the hats hopefully able to stave off illness. “This is about trying to protect officers from sickness, which will improve the force resilience,” she said.
Asked how the public might respond to seeing police officers in knitted beanies, PC Stanhope said: “We are used to seeing police wearing woolly hats on US television shows so I’m not sure the public will think anything of it as long as they are smart and it’s part of their uniform.”
Frontline officers can apply for the new hat by going onto the Stores Portal on the force intranet under the headgear section

http://www.policeora...-Hat_60283.html

More here! 

Thames Valley Police allows woolly hats for officers

_65407907_hi010573877.jpgThames Valley Police officers can now wear a woolly hat to keep warm on duty

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-21116753 

Thames Valley Police officers can now keep warm in the winter weather with a uniform-issue woolly hat.
Officers patrolling or sitting in vehicles will not be able to wear the new woolly hats, but those who have to stand outdoors for long periods will.
The change in uniform comes after officers successfully lobbied the force's Chief Constable Sara Thornton.
The force said the new black-knitted beanie with "Police" embroidered on the front will present a smart image.
'Decent headgear'
The idea for the new item of kit came from PC Lisa Stanhope, Thames Valley Police Federation's health and safety lead.
She said: "When the weather is like it has been recently and you're standing still at a scene until someone comes to relieve you, it can be really cold.
"A flat hat or a bowler just doesn't keep out the cold and officers do complain about not having any decent headgear to keep them warm."
Thames Valley are not the first force in the UK to introduce thermal wear to uniform.
Officers at Devon & Cornwall Police are permitted to wear both woolly hats and snoods should conditions require them.

Small victories, but each one helps! 

Edited by kenworthy, 22 January 2013 - 11:18 AM.

#2 SimonT

SimonT

UKPoliceOnline Staff

• Moderators
  • 7,277 posts
  • Interests:police, climbing

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:55 AM

Years and years of planning, wrangling and pleading to get something as blindingly simple as a hat. 

The kit we get is no where near capable of staving off the rain and cold on a real winter, though we are not allowed to bring our own stuff, because that would be unprofessional  So we just freeze. Always thought shivering was a little unprofessional, and being unable to write in your notebook because your fingers dont work any more. 

But i suppose im not high ranked enough to know the best way to do this. 

#3 meditate

meditate

UKPOLICEONLINE Guru

• Senior Resident Members
  • 2,899 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

Actually if I was expected to stand around in the cold for hours then it absolutely is an issue for the Chief Constable to address. BUT.... you have to pay for the hat yourself? It should be classed as PPE.

#4 scousejon

scousejon

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• 899 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

Ive been after a police wooly hat for ages now but never got one.  Saying that, ive been after a torch for over 18 months now (std issue in merseyside), sorry correction, new batery for my torch and had no luck.  I just give up.

#5 Traffic Rat

Traffic Rat

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• 1,221 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:37 PM

My force have had these as part of uniform for about the past 3 or 4 years. 

A dark Navy Blue with POLICE in High Vis Yellow cross the front.  Look a bit on the cheap side but work. I purchased my own a few years before and no one has batted an eye to it.

#6 gripper

gripper

UKPOLICEONLINE Guru

• 2,768 posts
  • Interests:Monkey hanging!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

We Met officers, would rather get cold, than wear a Beanie hat. Doesn't go with our ties either.

#7 Bart

Bart

UKPoliceOnline Supreme Poster

• Banned
  • 6,130 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:29 PM

We have navy blue fleece beanies with the HA logo embroidered on the front. Kept me lovely and warm in -4 temperatures last night on a lane closure. :wink:  

We don't wear ties, we have navy blue polo shirts. :wink:

#8 gripper

gripper

UKPOLICEONLINE Guru

• 2,768 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:42 PM

We have Standards!. We also have PCSOs.

#9 Bart

Bart

• Banned
  • 6,130 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:00 PM

We too have standards, we also have team managers so the standard is rather low!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

#10 Wrist Assessment

Wrist Assessment

UKPOLICEONLINE Full Member

• Resident Members
  • 288 posts
  • Interests:Fell running, Photography, Gardening - but not at the same time!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:17 PM

We too have standards, we also have team managers so the standard is rather low!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I couldn't possibly comment!!!  :whistle2:

#11 Bart

Bart

• Banned
  • 6,130 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:28 PM

You so know it's true though. :wink:

#12 kenworthy

kenworthy

UKPoliceOnline Legend

• UKPoliceOnline Reporter
  • 18,364 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:04 PM

We have navy blue fleece beanies with the HA logo embroidered on the front. Kept me lovely and warm in -4 temperatures last night on a lane closure. :wink:

We don't wear ties, we have navy blue polo shirts. :wink:

Picture please! 

#13 Bart

Bart

• Banned
  • 6,130 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:11 PM

I'll sort out a picture of my beanie later - not me wearing it. :wink:

#14 gripper

gripper

UKPOLICEONLINE Guru

• 2,768 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:14 PM

Spoil sport.

#15 Bart

Bart

• Banned
  • 6,130 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

Here is a picture of our fleece beanie, ably modelled by my 14 year old son. :wink:

hatblank.jpg

#16 gripper

gripper

UKPOLICEONLINE Guru

• 2,768 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:54 PM

I bet he was happy!

#17 gripper

gripper

UKPOLICEONLINE Guru

• 2,768 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:58 PM

I can see the likeness!

Edited by gripper, 23 January 2013 - 07:59 PM.

#18 Bart

Bart

• Banned
  • 6,130 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:05 PM

He's a sour faced sod at the best of times, he gets that from his mother's side of the family. :lol:

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users