13 replies to this topic

#1 kenworthy

kenworthy

UKPoliceOnline Legend

• UKPoliceOnline Reporter
  • 18,365 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

VIDEO: Homophobic ‘Muslim patrol’ vigilante abuse under investigation

A video showing self-styled Muslim vigilantes shouting homophobic abuse at a man in east London has surfaced online.

The footage, thought to be taken in Commercial Street, Whitechapel, shows members of group describing themselves as a ‘Muslim patrol’ harassing a man who appears to be wearing make-up, calling him a “bloody fag”.
In a similar video to one posted on YouTube last week, the passer-by is told he is “walking through a Muslim area dressed like a fag”.
“What’s wrong with your face?” they ask. “You need to get out of here, mate.”
The man is approached while walking through a dark street, and remonstrates with his harassers.
“Why are you bothering me?” he asks. “Who do you think you are, seriously?”
Gay rights charity Stonewall said: “This incident is yet another reminder of the homophobic abuse that gay people face all too often.
“We urge victims of all homophobic crimes and incidents to report them to the police and for the police to take action to protect gay people from these disturbing crimes.”
The police have announced they will be investigating the patrols further, and increasing their presence in areas affected.
“We have also been speaking to local community leaders and influential people, local businesses and the local authority about the issue and what is being done, and can be done, to address it,” a spokesperson added.
The East London Mosque has already publicly condemned the patrols.
A statement read: “These actions are utterly unacceptable and clearly designed to stoke tensions and sow discord. We wholly condemn them.
“The East London Mosque is committed to building co-operation and harmony between all communities in this borough. The actions of this tiny minority have no place in our faith nor on our streets.
“We will monitor the situation closely and our Imams will be speaking out against such actions.”
Police are appealing for anyone with further information to contact them on 101 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Turns out most hate most others, why am i not surprised. 

Click here to view the article

Edited by kenworthy, 22 January 2013 - 06:52 PM.

#2 jacko6686

jacko6686

UKPOLICEONLINE Trooper

• Senior Resident Members
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:02 PM

What ever happened to live and let live?

#3 scousejon

scousejon

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• 900 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:44 PM

Have to put trust in the local policing team.  I am sure it will be a high priority for them.  If the video is credible that it is disgusting behaviour.  It is a hate crime and will be treated as such.  If there is a vigilante group it will have to be identified swiftly and dealt with because that is not being a vigilante, that is being a criminal using threatening and abuse language and discriminating because of someone's sexuality.  I trust the MET will deal with it fairly and robustly as usual.

#4 angie101

angie101

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• 729 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

That is so horrible and cruel I feel really sorry for the fella   :(

#5 jontif

jontif

UKPOLICEONLINE New Member

• Resident Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:16 PM

disgusting.....and frightening

#6 dolly1966

dolly1966

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• 588 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy walking my dogs, meeting up with friends, travelling and dining out.

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:00 AM

Vile

#7 scousejon

scousejon

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• 900 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

Just an update from this.  The MET are apealing for a victim to come forward.

http://news.sky.com/...s-victim-appeal

#8 SimonT

SimonT

UKPoliceOnline Staff

• Moderators
  • 7,280 posts
  • Interests:police, climbing

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:12 PM

There is no way i would do that. Why after being on the end of so much abuse would you want to feed yourself into the media storm and appalling criminal justice system, just so the force can be seen to be taking action. 

#9 Conway

Conway

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

These men are despicable, I do really hope that whatever local policing unit is out there has all the luck in the world to show these tough guys that picking on people that are alone wont be tolerated in the slighest.

#10 kenworthy

kenworthy

UKPoliceOnline Legend

• 18,365 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:49 PM

#11 Fedster

Fedster

UKPoliceOnline Staff

• Moderators
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

A Muslim area!! What utter pillocks, claiming to be Religious yet going out creating mischief, abusing people, i bet these guys are only Muslim when it is convenient to them, when to get what they want, bullies nothing more, nothing less.

#12 kenworthy

kenworthy

UKPoliceOnline Legend

• 18,365 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:52 PM

#13 Fedster

Fedster

UKPoliceOnline Staff

• Moderators
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:54 PM

Come on Kenners, giving these idiots publicity is exactly what they want,its so easy to come across as all powerful and aggressive with the invention of youtube, spending their time abusing people and then posting it on youtube, have they got nothing better to do with their lives.

#14 kenworthy

kenworthy

UKPoliceOnline Legend

• 18,365 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

The fellow getting abuse in video has now come forward to Police!

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users