Police right to strike

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 onthesquare28

onthesquare28

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Banned
  • 383 posts
  • Interests:Law, current affairs, politics.

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:34 PM

http://www.guardian....right-to-strike

Thoughts?

For the record, I would be in complete agreement that The Police have a right to strike.

Sorry, I've just realised I should have started this topic under "The Beat". Moderators please feel free to move it, thanks.

Edited by onthesquare28, 28 January 2013 - 07:34 PM.

#2 meditate

meditate

UKPOLICEONLINE Guru

• Senior Resident Members
  • 2,902 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

Very difficult one to decide on personally. Even in the NHS where staff can strike you find that this tends to be limited to non essential workers and those providing care and treatment carry on providing it. Therefore would police officers pull out en-masse? whilst some probably would I suspect a service would still be made available 24/7 but, I could be wrong!

#3 SimonT

SimonT

UKPoliceOnline Staff

• Moderators
  • 7,290 posts
  • Interests:police, climbing

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:02 PM

I will probably vote for the right to strike. I don't think we will ever get it, not a chance.

The government will continue to crush the police until there are very few of us left, demoralised, ineffective and almost pointless. Group4 and other companies will be hosing public money all over the place while failing to do what we used to do and charging double. 

The ministers and other politicians will sit on massive piles of money behind high gates and laugh. 

Most of the people at work can't see going the whole distance, the revolving door employment will come on, experience will drain and we will become incompetent.

Ho hum. 

#4 cheesedoff

cheesedoff

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• 552 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

I will probably vote for the right to strike. I don't think we will ever get it, not a chance.

The government will continue to crush the police until there are very few of us left, demoralised, ineffective and almost pointless. Group4 and other companies will be hosing public money all over the place while failing to do what we used to do and charging double. 

The ministers and other politicians will sit on massive piles of money behind high gates and laugh. 

Most of the people at work can't see going the whole distance, the revolving door employment will come on, experience will drain and we will become incompetent.

Ho hum. 

^this^

I think there is a big difference to voting for industrial rights and simply asking for the right to strike, there is more to it than just that. I will vote in favour of it but would in all probability not exercise that right to strike if i was ever given it.

#5 meditate

meditate

UKPOLICEONLINE Guru

• 2,902 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:27 PM

Depends how its used if you get it. The Dutch police aimed to disrupt a premier football match by not policing the event. Unfair on the football but targeted action is probably the way to go.

#6 SimonT

SimonT

UKPoliceOnline Staff

• Moderators
  • 7,290 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

refusing to police football is a good idea. I would be in favour as I hate it. that would cost the government a stack of cash if we didn't turn up to a couple of big matches.

but I don't think it would change much, and by the time we might possibly get the rights to strike we will have been completely destroyed already, we would possibly not even be able to police football anyway.it will already be in the hands of private security 

#7 onthesquare28

onthesquare28

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Banned
  • 383 posts
  • Interests:Law, current affairs, politics.

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:52 PM

refusing to police football is a good idea. I would be in favour as I hate it. that would cost the government a stack of cash if we didn't turn up to a couple of big matches.

but I don't think it would change much, and by the time we might possibly get the rights to strike we will have been completely destroyed already, we would possibly not even be able to police football anyway.it will already be in the hands of private security 

Indeed - why should police have to provide security at football? Why shouldn't the security be organised, provided and paid for by the clubs?

#8 gripper

gripper

UKPOLICEONLINE Guru

• 2,772 posts
  • Interests:Monkey hanging!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:54 PM

Because the majority of the problems, happen outside the grounds, which are of course public areas. And the clubs do pay for the majority of the Policing.

Edited by gripper, 28 January 2013 - 10:56 PM.

#9 SimonT

SimonT

UKPoliceOnline Staff

• Moderators
  • 7,290 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:32 AM

As above the clubs do pay for policing in the grounds, but this usually means they dont want any police on the grounds. But the lead up to and after a match between 2 big rivals (see juvanile winey idiots) can be utter devestation at local pubs, srteets, train stations. One of our matches coming up has resulted in all leave being suspended and all rest days cancelled.

A massive effort to try and keep the peace. If we werent there im not sure who could possibly do it.

#10 messyshaw

messyshaw

UKPOLICEONLINE New Member

• Resident Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

In the mid 1970s the fire service and later the ambulance service began 'choosing' which part of their job they would do as part of industrial action. This invariably meant that 999 calls were answered as usual, but paperwork and routine nonsense was not completed. The employers reluctantly accepted this weak form of IA as they could continue to carry out their sharp end function of saving lives. However in the 1980s, employers began to get tough and unless you worked 100% to your contract you would not be paid.

The London Ambulance dispute in the mids 1980s (often misrepresented as a strike) was when crews refused to use new button box technology in their cabs. They did not refuse to attend 999 calls. So after their first shout, they would not book 'available' on their mobile data units so were suspended by LAS managers upon their return to base. Many ill and injured folk were put at needless pain, discomfort and danger as various Met vans were used to scoop and run victims to hospital.

In 2013, this is what is most likely to happen if Police decided not to Police football matches as part of an industrial relations dispute. The staff involved would not be paid for the day and would be effectively locked out. Anyway, what are the chances of any Govt - let alone a Tory led coalition accepting that Police can take action? About nil I reckon

#11 blueb

blueb

UKPOLICEONLINE Trooper

• 1,774 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:25 PM

Imagine a station canteen where they will either provide free tea or free coffee and the other is charged double - it would still be difficult enough to get three adjacent officers sitting in that canteen to agree whether they will all drink tea or all drink coffee, let alone consistently withhold their services or other forms of hostile response. It is not in the police DNA to work as a team in that regard

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users