• This topic is locked This topic is locked
31 replies to this topic

#1 ammo

ammo

UKPOLICEONLINE Veteran

• Power User (Enhanced)+
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:56 AM

He's admitted lying about his speeding and getting his wife to take the points!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21320992

#2 SimonT

SimonT

-

• Account Closed
  • 7,290 posts
  • Interests:police, climbing

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:42 PM

Well fancy that. 

Wonder if the will get police officer levels of punishment or as a less trustworthy and held to a lower std MP will get told dont do it again if thats ok Sir. 

#3 intheblitz

intheblitz

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Senior Resident Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:40 PM

Perverting the course of justice normally equates to time inside, doesn't it? I can see him spending time at her majesty's....

#4 Sectioned Detection

Sectioned Detection

UKPOLICEONLINE Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,627 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:38 PM

Even more so after denying it for ages and only pleading guilty on the day of the trial!

#5 Ernest Marsh civilian

Ernest Marsh civilian

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• PipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:42 PM

He got £17,000 pay off when he resigned, and has cost the country a huge sum of money as he tried to wriggle off the hook.

He allegedly forced his wife to accept the points, and it appears that it was texts between him and his children that finally sunk him.

All of this could have been avoided if the safety of our roads had not been given over to a robotic semi automated "get paid quick" scheme, which sends out a notice of intended prosecution, together with an invitation for any driver to name somebody else other than the real culprit!

#6 SimonT

SimonT

-

• Account Closed
  • 7,290 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:47 PM

It could have been avoided if he didnt break the law. 

#7 Fritz@Customs

Fritz@Customs

UKPOLICEONLINE Full Member

• Resident Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:52 PM

He got £17,000 pay off when he resigned, and has cost the country a huge sum of money as he tried to wriggle off the hook.

No10 says it's a matter for him whether he repays the £17K, they can't/won't force him to.

Now he's resigned, I guess he's also entitled to the normal payoff to close down his Parliamentary affairs, then there's the cost of the byelection...

Apparently, he'll only have to give up the title "Right Honorable" voluntarily. If prison officers are supposed to call prisoners "Mr" these days, I guess "Right Honorouble" is fine on D Wing too.

I won't be surprised if he finds religion inside and appears on our TV screens in the near future as a reformed advocate for the rehabilitation of offenders.

On the plus side, the judge has indicated all options are on the table.

Edited by Fritz@Customs, 04 February 2013 - 05:54 PM.

#8 scousejon

scousejon

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• PipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:06 PM

throw away the key

#9 sykes

sykes

UKPOLICEONLINE Trooper

• Police Service (Officer)
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:30 AM

sounds harsh but i hope he does serve time inside, not only has he constantly lied about this incident it would appear he tried using his position and the media in such a way the trial would be stopped, cost the tax payer a fortune and on the day of hte trial as the nerve to come on national tv and claim he had done the right thing by taking responsibility for his actions.what a load of b*********** ,  yet another example of how MPs in this country cannot be trusted

#10 SloughClarets

SloughClarets

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Police Service (Officer)
  • 130 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:25 AM

It was only 3 points at the end of day. Makes you wonder what lengths he would or has gone to, in order to cover up more important issues

#11 SimonT

SimonT

-

• Account Closed
  • 7,290 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:31 AM

Well the government seem to be systematically destroying the police. So they must have done something very naughty. Probably putting a cat in a bin

#12 Tim in the South

Tim in the South

UKPOLICEONLINE Trooper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts
  • Interests:Travel, crime, sport (tennis), music, computers, people. Eating :-) but not drinking alcohol.
    Olympic Games

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:08 AM

It is extremely sad that he has chosen this route. 3 penalty points may seem nothing to most of us, but I have heard that if he had taken the points, he would have lost his licence (for a second time). (I haven't checked these facts though). 

He was an MEP at the time, and should have known better. He would have been aware of what he was doing in 2003, and why he continually denied it is beyond my comprehension. 

He has brought politics into disrepute (again), and lied to the Police and to the Courts. 

His political career is over - and he can never be trusted again.   If he is sent to prison, he will deserve it. 

#13 Ernest Marsh civilian

Ernest Marsh civilian

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• PipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:47 PM

It could have been avoided if he didnt break the law. 

He was a serial law breaker, already on 9 points for speeding, when he allegedly elected to swap the points to his then wife.

He later received three more points which led to him being banned, because he was talking on his phone while driving.

By abdicating road safety to camera based detection, he was afforded the means to carry on driving badly for some time - and when he was eventually detected, was able to take advantage of the process in which the driver is invited to name another driver.

All this time he was only an MEP, but he later offered his candidacy as an MP, and as minister for energy and climate change, lectured us on our driving habits and their effect on the environment, and continued with the previous government's obscene scheme, by which energy customers help pay a huge subsidy to generate electricity with a hopeless means of supplying it - wind turbines. He deserves to be jailed for that!

Those who break the law are barred from becoming MPs and sitting in parliament MAKING laws for good reason - and the cause of him getting away with it was the poor evidence of a robotic camera.

A traffic officer might have seen him removed from the road a whole lot sooner - to the benefit of us all. Instead he was merely contributing to the well paid "safety" camera partnership operating the cameras he triggered, so they could sit back and pat themselves on the back at the number of (often repeat) offenders they "caught", and the police forces involved could lay off officers who were supposed to have been re-assigned to other duties!

In my opinion, SCPs were responsible for taking money that should have been spent on implementing a PROPERLY THOUGHT OUT road safety strategy, which now would be impossible given the budget restrictions and loss of manpower... and Huhne took advantage of this lax form of detection (I avoid the use of the word enforcement deliberately).

#14 onthesquare28

onthesquare28

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Banned
  • 383 posts
  • Interests:Law, current affairs, politics.

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:06 PM

I actually used to know him some years back. I met a him number of times and saw him speak at political meetings. He didn't strike me as Mr Integrity, back then.

People using their mobiles whilst driving really annoys me. I once saw someone driving along my road using his phone and shouting at someone who was holding up the traffic: "never mind having a conversation mate, I'm trying to make a phonecall here!" :doh:

We managed without mobiles until the 80s. No reason why people shouldn't switch them off whilst they're driving.

Edited by onthesquare28, 10 February 2013 - 08:07 PM.

#15 gripper

gripper

UKPOLICEONLINE Guru

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,829 posts
  • Interests:Monkey hanging!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:36 PM

I thought he set off a Gatso camera.

#16 Sub-seven

Sub-seven

UKPOLICEONLINE Icon

• Resident Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,960 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:36 PM

That's a surprise - thought that you would class that as "victimless crime".....

#17 onthesquare28

onthesquare28

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Banned
  • 383 posts
  • Interests:Law, current affairs, politics.

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:51 PM

That's a surprise - thought that you would class that as "victimless crime".....

LOL! I thought you'd think that ^_^

#18 Sub-seven

Sub-seven

UKPOLICEONLINE Icon

• Resident Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,960 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:56 PM

Hypocrite

#19 Soren

Soren

UKPOLICEONLINE Master

• Newbie Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,376 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:27 PM

The offence is endemic, the fault is the nutty method of building criminal cases via correspondence.  It is believed that more than a million people in the country have done the same as Huhne.  

More than a third of the population when asked have said they would ask someone to take their points if the alternative meant losing their licence.  It's an easy no brainer for most.

It strikes me as frankly ridiculous that the SCPs have been allowed to become agent provocateurs for this offence, ignoring its commission for the most part, them, when evidence strikes, coming down like a ton of bricks.

It's a pointless way of creating serious criminals out of otherwise decent people.

#20 Sub-seven

Sub-seven

UKPOLICEONLINE Icon

• Resident Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,960 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:30 PM

More than a third of the population when asked have said they would ask someone to take their points if the alternative meant losing their licence.

Got a link?

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users