70 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Blueboy

Blueboy

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Resident Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:24 PM

Just had a call from HR and i have been given a last minute space on a response driving course for the next three weeks, starting on Monday, cant decide what is my main feeling at the moment - fear or excitement!!

#2 OFFLINE   SimonT

SimonT

-

• Account Closed
  • 7,290 posts
  • Interests:police, climbing

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:26 PM

You can kiss goodby to how you drive now. It will be gone

#3 OFFLINE   jacko6686

jacko6686

UKPOLICEONLINE Trooper

• Senior Resident Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:04 PM

Since doing the blue light driving course I feel my driving has gotten worse. Ofcourse this is just my feeling but the way i look at positioning, gaps in the traffic etc, I believe have made me a over confident. Especially in a big yellow bus with blue flashing lights

#4 OFFLINE   dolly1966

dolly1966

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy walking my dogs, meeting up with friends, travelling and dining out.

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:15 PM

I would be sooooooo excited.

SimonT you are funny about kissing how you drive now goodbye.  LOL.

#5 OFFLINE   the duke

the duke

UKPOLICEONLINE New Member

• Resident Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:02 PM

Good luck with the course mate. :bye:

I'm still waiting for mine, which I think will be over another year to happen.

I'm in a response team, but the only one who cannot "respond" to incidents. I get given all of the pants jobs by control, and am really sick and tired of not being able to get to emergency incidents. Pretty poor really when there are people in need of help and the police can't go there on blues.

There have been numerous days when everyone else is tied up with jobs and I get deployed to emergencies only to get stuck at red lights, stuck in traffic jams, behind learner drivers/tractors, etc.... What would the public think if they knew this???? :help:

Which force are you with Blueboy?

#6 OFFLINE   wakeywakey28

wakeywakey28

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Interests:chicken

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:15 PM

Just wait until you start reading roadcraft, excellent bed time reading!!

#7 OFFLINE   Felix.

Felix.

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:10 PM

I enjoyed my course, you drive all over the UK and once you get use to the trainer and fellow drivers, you relax and enjoy the drives.

And its 3 weeks break from misspers, handovers etc etc   :)

Edited by Felix., 06 February 2013 - 10:11 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   Frank Drebin

Frank Drebin

UKPOLICEONLINE Veteran

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:24 PM

Since doing the blue light driving course I feel my driving has gotten worse. Ofcourse this is just my feeling but the way i look at positioning, gaps in the traffic etc, I believe have made me a over confident. Especially in a big yellow bus with blue flashing lights

No disrespect meant, but that's down to you, not the training.

#9 OFFLINE   Frank Drebin

Frank Drebin

UKPOLICEONLINE Veteran

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:31 PM

Just had a call from HR and i have been given a last minute space on a response driving course for the next three weeks, starting on Monday, cant decide what is my main feeling at the moment - fear or excitement!!

Enjoy it mate!!,....

IMHO driving courses are about the best thing the job will ever give you. If your forces driving school are the same as mine they'll give you what sounds like a cliched spiel at the start of the course about it being skills for life they are giving you. Thing is, it's true imo. Take on board what they teach you, and continue to practice it when you get back to area would be my advice.

Driver training in the police is just about the best you'll get anywhere, make the most of it,.... :thumbsup:

#10 OFFLINE   Ed67812

Ed67812

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:42 PM

make sure you drive to the seaside for fish and chips!!!!!!!!!!!

#11 OFFLINE   sykes

sykes

UKPOLICEONLINE Trooper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:14 PM

The training packages are well proven and and equip drivers with the basic skills for response driving as a driver you adapt your skills to any given situation the course enhances a drivers current experience its down to the individual to drive in the appropriate manner . lights and sirens dont make you invincible maybe further training would help maybe with IAM

#12 OFFLINE   Frank Drebin

Frank Drebin

UKPOLICEONLINE Veteran

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:56 PM

The training packages are well proven and and equip drivers with the basic skills for response driving as a driver you adapt your skills to any given situation the course enhances a drivers current experience its down to the individual to drive in the appropriate manner . lights and sirens dont make you invincible maybe further training would help maybe with IAM

I don't know how the ambulance response driver training compares but, imho, police standard response driver training outstrips anything IAM can offer.

#13 OFFLINE   znra251

znra251

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:13 AM

just remember that there will be a horse around every corner, a suicidal pheasant just waiting to jump out and at least 2 cyclists between every pair of lorries

#14 OFFLINE   kpeter20

kpeter20

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Resident Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:47 AM

The training packages are well proven and and equip drivers with the basic skills for response driving as a driver you adapt your skills to any given situation the course enhances a drivers current experience its down to the individual to drive in the appropriate manner . lights and sirens dont make you invincible maybe further training would help maybe with IAM

I don't know how the ambulance response driver training compares but, imho, police standard response driver training outstrips anything IAM can offer.

Correct, Our instructor explained that once you have your standard response driving course under your belt then the IAM accept you without further testing. You pay a small fee, around 30 I think and they send you the certificate/membership.

Check the IAM website out under exemptions and it confirms this.

Also, once you pass your police course don't forget to tell your insurance company, saved me 40, every little helps!

Edited by kpeter20, 10 February 2013 - 05:50 AM.

#15 OFFLINE   Sub-seven

Sub-seven

UKPOLICEONLINE Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,962 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:29 AM

Since doing the blue light driving course I feel my driving has gotten worse. 

Who did the course?

#16 OFFLINE   SimonT

SimonT

-

• Account Closed
  • 7,290 posts
  • Interests:police, climbing

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:54 AM

i found my confidence was high after the course, too high. it was more about speed than safety.

thankfully i saw the light and i drive safe and sooth (mostly) and pay no attention to the grading or any demands on the radio.  my car, my permit, my responsibility.

#17 OFFLINE   jacko6686

jacko6686

UKPOLICEONLINE Trooper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:02 PM

Who did the course?

It was done by the service, I got a qualification after passing though.

As Simon has just said, recently I have really calmed down with my emergency driving. It's finally dawned on me that you're no good to anyone if you don't turn up at all (e.g crashing yourself)

#18 OFFLINE   Sub-seven

Sub-seven

UKPOLICEONLINE Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,962 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:39 PM

Which service?

#19 OFFLINE   Blueboy

Blueboy

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Resident Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:40 PM

Been reading roadcraft in anticipation for tomorrow, struggling to get my head around the brake gear overlap side of things, i have realised i change gear under braking all the time!

#20 OFFLINE   wakeywakey28

wakeywakey28

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Interests:chicken

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:53 PM

Initially you will become a worse driver as you get used to driving to the system. It took me a good few days on the course to get used to it.

#21 OFFLINE   pacmanjo

pacmanjo

UKPOLICEONLINE Full Member

• Resident Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:29 PM

I did my course in 2006 and my driving has steadily got worse! Good luck anyway

#22 OFFLINE   Frank Drebin

Frank Drebin

UKPOLICEONLINE Veteran

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:07 PM

I did my course in 2006 and my driving has steadily got worse! Good luck anyway

Presumably you've had refresher training since 2006?.

#23 OFFLINE   Rudi

Rudi

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:09 PM

Don't worry. The instructors don't expect you to be able to drive to the system yet. That's their job.
If you listen to them, do as your told you should pass with no problems.
There is a massive increase in expectations however from standard to advanced.
My advanced course was awesome. One drive in particular I will never forget. It was a piece of road I drive every day to work and I made mincemeat of the other cars on the course. The other blokes in the car went very very quiet!
TPAC...........very hard work but even more fun.

#24 OFFLINE   znra251

znra251

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:56 PM

Don't worry. The instructors don't expect you to be able to drive to the system yet. That's their job.
If you listen to them, do as your told you should pass with no problems.
There is a massive increase in expectations however from standard to advanced.
My advanced course was awesome. One drive in particular I will never forget. It was a piece of road I drive every day to work and I made mincemeat of the other cars on the course. The other blokes in the car went very very quiet!
TPAC...........very hard work but even more fun.

I think it's interesting how a lot of people perceive the jump from standard to advanced harder to make than from nothing to standard. I definitely found it the other way. I struggled and struggled and scraped through at standard level and came back a year later and had a seriously chilled out advanced course.

Perhaps the instructor played a huge part, my standard course was with a humorless anally retentive man, my advanced course was with a very good instructor who understood that you drive and learn better while relaxed.

My favorite memory of my advanced course was the drive which got us out of the training school town and into the country, a 10 car 8 and 2 HGVs overtake including 2 of the standard cars. My instructor just laughed and said you'll never ever get another opportunity like that. The joys of driving a decent car!

#25 OFFLINE   jacko6686

jacko6686

UKPOLICEONLINE Trooper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:22 PM

Which service?

Ambulance

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users