That's been in about 6 years.

#52 OFFLINE   Bart

Bart

UKPO Staff

• Moderators
  • 6,288 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:20 AM

Not quite!, a Mini Metro was my first.

We had one of those as a panda car in Germany, responding on blues and twos to RTCs on the autobahn was embarrassing, flat out doing 85 with beemers and mercs overtaking at 120+! I used to leave them off till we arrived on scene.

Edited by Bart, 17 February 2013 - 10:30 AM.

#53 OFFLINE   gripper

gripper

UKPOLICEONLINE Guru

• Senior Resident Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,869 posts
  • Interests:Monkey hanging!

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:37 AM

The four speed ones, were faster than the five.

#54 OFFLINE   Bart

Bart

UKPO Staff

• Moderators
  • 6,288 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:05 AM

I could push one faster than I drive one!

#55 OFFLINE   pacmanjo

pacmanjo

UKPOLICEONLINE Full Member

• Resident Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:59 PM

We have 1.9 TDI seat Altea 88bhp and that's embarrassing! http://www.ukemergen...&limitstart=120

Edited by pacmanjo, 17 February 2013 - 05:02 PM.

#56 OFFLINE   Blueboy

Blueboy

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Resident Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:19 PM

Still not enjoying it, but its one week down, two weeks to go, just hoping to do a smash and grab and pass and then get the hell out of there!

#57 OFFLINE   Frank Drebin

Frank Drebin

UKPOLICEONLINE Veteran

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:54 PM

Still not enjoying it, but its one week down, two weeks to go, just hoping to do a smash and grab and pass and then get the hell out of there!

I'll repeat my earlier comment, if you were supposed to be spot on by now the course would only be a week long. Easy to say, but just try and relax a bit.

Oh, and 'smashing' anything quite possibly won't result in a pass,... :lol:

#58 OFFLINE   Blueboy

Blueboy

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Resident Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:01 PM

yeah appreciate that Frank, never enjoyed learning to drive in the first place......... this course is just a means to an end for me, and i dont mean to literally smash anything!!  :thumbsup:

#59 OFFLINE   Mdon

Mdon

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:37 PM

I thought all home office forces trained their regulars in response driving as part of their basic course. My forced trained me in it when I was still a special. There's was about 30 specials response trained when I left.

#60 OFFLINE   Frank Drebin

Frank Drebin

UKPOLICEONLINE Veteran

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:46 PM

I thought all home office forces trained their regulars in response driving as part of their basic course. My forced trained me in it when I was still a special. There's was about 30 specials response trained when I left.

In my lot a basic permit only allows usage of police vehicles (up to a certain power output) for A to B, within the highway code, to use the blues only to stop vehicles and for safety when at a scene.

I think that's pretty universal for a basic permit these days?. Response course comes later. I think amount of time waiting probably varies force to force and in my lot average service seems to be about 4 years to get a course. 

We don't have any response trained SC's. The queue of regulars waiting for courses is too long to facilitate it I'd guess.

#61 OFFLINE   kpeter20

kpeter20

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Resident Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:57 AM

Our basic course is a written test and a 20 minute drive. This allows you to drive a liveried vehicle A-B but can't use blues. Waited 2 years for a 3 week response course. Our specials don't get any driver training and are only supposed to parade on with npt, not response. Most come out with response on weekend nights though.

#62 OFFLINE   skycop

skycop

UKPOLICEONLINE Associate Member

• Resident Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:43 PM

I had to do a 2 week basic course and 4 week response then, crew bus then, pursuit.... Oh how times have changed....

I did get my cycling proficiency certificate quite quick though....lol

#63 OFFLINE   P365

P365

UKPOLICEONLINE New Member

• Resident Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:52 PM

Today as every day I will be driving my car to the system of car control which is methodical, safe and leaves nothing to chance.......... Yes great course. Just learn to drive the way they teach you and stay within your limits. That road craft book is a pain though!

#64 OFFLINE   wakeywakey28

wakeywakey28

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Interests:chicken

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:03 PM

Some forces do the 3 week driving course at the end of the initial probationer training. The force I work in does this with new recruits now i believe. Not something I tend to agree with but the force area is so large needs must I guess.

#65 OFFLINE   Blueboy

Blueboy

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Resident Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:24 PM

Yep our force is the same Frank.

#66 OFFLINE   Sub-seven

Sub-seven

UKPOLICEONLINE Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,962 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:07 PM

I did get my cycling proficiency certificate quite quick though....lol

I did a two day course for cycling, them later half a day on how to drive the community double decker bus.

#67 OFFLINE   Blueboy

Blueboy

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Resident Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:08 PM

Well i passed! Really didnt enjoy it, but have to say that i can fully understannd why we are taught to system drive, my driving has come on a massive amount in the last three weeks...... just got to try to keep working at it now and not revert back to old habits!

#68 OFFLINE   Frank Drebin

Frank Drebin

UKPOLICEONLINE Veteran

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:14 PM

Well i passed! Really didnt enjoy it, but have to say that i can fully understannd why we are taught to system drive, my driving has come on a massive amount in the last three weeks...... just got to try to keep working at it now and not revert back to old habits!

Well done mate. That last sentence is key though.

I know that there are plenty of officers who, once they have that pass under their belt, simply forget what they were taught and carry on as they were, then a few years down the line suddenly the flap because they're now due on refresher training for their permit to continue.

I know of more than one officer from my lot who has had their permit put temporarily 'on hold' as a result of refresher training, because they simply couldn't do it anymore. They have had to go back to driver training for a week or so to get them back up to scratch. And in fact, ottomh, I can think of at least one they required to do the whole course again.

#69 OFFLINE   the duke

the duke

• Resident Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:44 PM

:clapping: Well done Blueboy, I bet that's a massive weight off your shoulders. Just keep safe mate.

I was speaking to someone from the driving school the other day and they basically told me that there are not going to be any courses for a very, very long time. I am now really considering my options on what to do now. 

#70 OFFLINE   Brown4891

Brown4891

UKPOLICEONLINE Associate Member

• Resident Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:41 PM

:clapping: Well done Blueboy, I bet that's a massive weight off your shoulders. Just keep safe mate.

I was speaking to someone from the driving school the other day and they basically told me that there are not going to be any courses for a very, very long time. I am now really considering my options on what to do now. 

Like getting some comfortable boots!!!

#71 OFFLINE   the duke

the duke

• Resident Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:48 PM

Like getting some comfortable boots!!!

Looking that way. LoL

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users