• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Chivs

Mr Chivs

I'm New !

• Newbie Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:29 PM

What is the general consensus for cyclists who use the normal roads at night without any lights?

Do people feel that perhaps they should receive on the spot fines or even have their bicycles confiscated until they buy lights?

Should road bikes be fitted with lights at the time of purchase be made compulsory?

I see so many out and about these days "accidents waiting to happen". The other night so guy had no lights on, was cycling no handed making a call on his mobile with dark clothing. - i mean wtf!  

#2 dolly1966

dolly1966

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Senior Resident Members
  • 588 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy walking my dogs, meeting up with friends, travelling and dining out.

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:53 AM

What is the general consensus for cyclists who use the normal roads at night without any lights?

Do people feel that perhaps they should receive on the spot fines or even have their bicycles confiscated until they buy lights?

Should road bikes be fitted with lights at the time of purchase be made compulsory?

I see so many out and about these days "accidents waiting to happen". The other night so guy had no lights on, was cycling no handed making a call on his mobile with dark clothing. - i mean wtf!  

I would say that the general consenus for people who ride their bikes at night with no lights is................................THEY ARE COMPLETELY STUPID AND THEY ARE AN ACCIDENT WAITING TO HAPPEN.

#3 Justmyopinion

Justmyopinion

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:32 AM

I think that cyclists are completely under regulated and controlled, largely because they are completely unidentifiable and have no licencing, they do not believe they are road users in the same way that vehicle drivers do and seem to have an overall view, perhaps with some justification, that the presumption of responsibility for any accident lies with the motorist.  

#4 gripper

gripper

UKPOLICEONLINE Guru

• 2,769 posts
  • Interests:Monkey hanging!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:33 AM

If I see someone on a bike, with lights, I stop them, to find out where they nicked it from!.

#5 meditate

meditate

UKPOLICEONLINE Guru

• 2,901 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:27 AM

Several years ago I almost hit a cyclist at night in an unlit country rd. I stopped to tell him he is not visible - he (man not boy) told me where to go quite bluntly - wonder if he is alive today?

#6 dolly1966

dolly1966

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• 588 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy walking my dogs, meeting up with friends, travelling and dining out.

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:26 PM

If I see someone on a bike, with lights, I stop them, to find out where they nicked it from!.

LOL

#7 Ernest Marsh civilian

Ernest Marsh civilian

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• 926 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:00 PM

I am a cyclist and motorist, and I hope act responsibly whichever means I use.

I see no excuse for not having lights - they are cheap to buy, and the batteries now last ages.

I travel at night, along a busy trunk road with a separate foot/cycle path, but still have several front and rear lamps to ensure I can be seen, and where I am going (no street lighting!).

When driving, I will always remonstrate with any cyclist who does not have lights if it is safe to do so - and once pursued a young rider who very nearly rode headlong into my car between two rows of park vehicles to ask why he not only had no lights, but was riding like a lunatic.

I think the idea of confiscating the bike is a good one, although might be impracticable these days!

#8 Sectioned Detection

Sectioned Detection

UKPOLICEONLINE Master

• 2,620 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:37 PM

Only ever issue FPN for it when it's an offender we are targeting. They never pay the fines and get time instead.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users