22 replies to this topic

#1 kenworthy

kenworthy

UKPoliceOnline Legend

• UKPoliceOnline Reporter
  • 18,389 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:33 PM

Waltham Forest to issue £80 on-the-spot spitting fines

A north-east London council has introduced on-the-spot fines for spitting and urinating in the street.
 Waltham Forest said its enforcement officers are to start to issuing fixed penalty notices for them in same way they sometimes do for littering.
The council believes it is the first local authority in the UK to introduce on-the-spot fines for spitting.
Councillor Clyde Loakes said it brought in the policy after residents had complained about the problem.
Last year, Enfield Council announced plans to introduce a by-law to ban spitting but is still waiting for the government to approve it.
'Enviro-crime'
Waltham Forest claims it has been able to get around the bureaucracy of introducing a by-law by deciding to class spit and urine as 'waste'.
The measure is part of their 'Wipe It Out' campaign against environmental crime.
Mr Loakes, who is deputy leader of the council and cabinet member for environment, said: "Residents have told us that they are concerned about this and want the council to do something.
"It's not just spitting, its urinating in public as well.
"These two kind of anti-social, enviro-crime issues need to be tackled, so we have come forward with the proposition that we will treat urinating in public and spitting as waste and will push hard to enforce fixed penalty notices on those we manage to catch."

Only problem here is, the fine is not high enough! 

Click here to view the article

Seems cheaper to spit at Officers.

Drunk teen pushed and spat at police officersBy Laura Nightingale 
February 13, 2013

A TEENAGER landed himself in court after pushing and spitting at two police officers in Fleet.

Robert Marsh, 18, admitted three charges including assaulting PC Derek Morrow and PC Johnny Cheung and behaving drunk and disorderly in a public place when he appeared at Aldershot Magistrates’ Court on Thursday last week (February 7).

On July 18 last year, police were on patrol when they noticed an argument outside KFC, said Serena Edwards, prosecuting.

There was shouting and swearing between two males and PC Morrow stepped in to help his colleague PC Cheung, the court heard.

Marsh, of Hare Lane, Esher, pushed PC Cheung and spat at PC Morrow at around 10cm to 20cm distance from him.

“It was clearly a disgusting situation for the officer,” Miss Edwards said.

At the police station, Marsh admitted drinking a large amount of vodka and lemonade and said he had been in trouble for the same sort of thing before from too much alcohol.

“I am ashamed of myself, it always seems to happen when I get into these situations when I cannot control myself,” he said in a statement read out to the court by Miss Edwards.

Chris Berry, defending Marsh, said his client was not used to drinking that much and could not handle it.

Mr Berry said: “It is fair to say that he was going through a bad patch at the time.

“He had been out of work since August and had been 'sofa surfing' for quite a while until recently.”

Last September, Marsh was charged for possession of cannabis and given a nine-month conditional discharge, the court was told. The assault case meant Marsh, a construction worker, was in breach of his conditional discharge.

Magistrates heard he had not told his family about the drugs charge, and they only found out about the latest incident just days before his court appearance.

Mr Berry said: “Now he has had to open up to people, sort his life out and face the problems.

“His family are looking for courses for Robert to go on as he has suppressed all these issues himself.

"His life is back on track and he is more stable. His family want to do everything they can to stop him getting into trouble.”

Chairman of the bench Angela Brown ordered Marsh to carry out 40 hours of community service within the next 12 months.

Edited by kenworthy, 13 February 2013 - 12:46 PM.

#2 countybounty

countybounty

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • 116 posts
  • Interests:A little bit of everything.

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:46 PM

Spitting is truly vile thing to do, a pet hate of mine. Will be interesting to see how these fines affect people.

#3 SimonT

SimonT

UKPoliceOnline Staff

• Moderators
  • 7,288 posts
  • Interests:police, climbing

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:23 PM

Hmm, giving £80 fines to people who wont take them, wont pay for them and for whom nothing will happen if they refuse. Thats going to go very well. 

I expect a lot of calls to police about people getting aggressive towards the enforcement officers when they try and issue one to a drunken chav or a large group of feral youth. They they may just not bother 

#4 blueb

blueb

UKPOLICEONLINE Trooper

• Senior Resident Members
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:37 PM

It will be interesting to see how they deal with this bearing in mind that many of their community indulge as a cultural matter the chewing of a nut that results in a vivid red slime so frequently seen on the streets of India. It would be quite a surprise if that was enforced with the same vigour as Mr Smith-Jones clearing the flem as a result of a medical condition but from a different cultural background.

#5 gripper

gripper

UKPOLICEONLINE Guru

• 2,772 posts
  • Interests:Monkey hanging!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

Hmm, giving £80 fines to people who wont take them, wont pay for them and for whom nothing will happen if they refuse. Thats going to go very well.

I expect a lot of calls to police about people getting aggressive towards the enforcement officers when they try and issue one to a drunken chav or a large group of feral youth. They they may just not bother

Happens all the time where I work, I had to nick one bloke,for being particularly stupid.
The spit evidence gathering,will be interesting.

#6 SimonT

SimonT

UKPoliceOnline Staff

• Moderators
  • 7,288 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:44 PM

Its not my spit, it was my mates. - Solid defence. Not sure we will stump up the cash for a dna test

#7 dolly1966

dolly1966

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• 596 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy walking my dogs, meeting up with friends, travelling and dining out.

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:41 PM

Happens all the time where I work, I had to nick one bloke,for being particularly stupid.

Its not my spit, it was my mates. - Solid defence. Not sure we will stump up the cash for a dna test

I expect a lot of calls to police about people getting aggressive towards the enforcement officers when they try and issue one to a drunken chav or a large group of feral youth. They they may just not bother 

I agree with all of what is written here.

I am sure thats why TB is rife in our country now, and other nasty illnesses and bugs because people wont keep in in their mouths.

#8 gripper

gripper

UKPOLICEONLINE Guru

• 2,772 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:29 PM

I expect a lot of calls to police about people getting aggressive towards the enforcement officers when they try and issue one to a drunken chav or a large group of feral youth. They they may just not bother

I agree with all of what is written here.

I am sure thats why TB is rife in our country now, and other nasty illnesses and bugs because people wont keep in in their mouths.

Pardon!.

#9 dolly1966

dolly1966

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• 596 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy walking my dogs, meeting up with friends, travelling and dining out.

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:17 AM

Hi Gripper,

Was just saying i agree with what other people had written about peeps spitting in the street, and included quotes.

Have i confused you?

:bye:

#10 gripper

gripper

UKPOLICEONLINE Guru

• 2,772 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:42 AM

No, I thought I was being funny ;)

#11 morek54

morek54

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• 1,052 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:08 AM

I don't agree with Councils being given extended enforcement powers to be honest - look at how they have dealt with parking enforcement. It has just become a means of raising revenue.  Fines for littering, spitting (although a disgusting habit) and no doubt whatever other infringements they decide to include will be similarly issued for the purpose of raising cash.  There will be little or no discretion and further demand on the Police, when attempts to enforce these laws inevitably result in confrontation. Deep joy.  I won't even get started on the calibre of individual, who Councils tend to employ as Parking Wardens or increasingly Enforcement Officers. 

#12 Narpo

Narpo

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Resident Members
  • 367 posts
  • Interests:Archaeology, history. reading, scuba diving, bushcraft/camping, etc, etc.

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:10 PM

A b....y good idea, it is a revolting habit!

#13 SloughClarets

SloughClarets

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Police Service (Officer)
  • 130 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:44 PM

A few years back, i was out with the shift inspector.

Whilst we were at a job away from the car, Someone spat on the marked car. We swabbed it, DNA, and a few weeks later nicked him and got a result. The look on his face when we knocked on his door was priceless.

#14 dolly1966

dolly1966

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• 596 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:07 AM

No, I thought I was being funny ;)

Oh Gripper you are one of the funniest people alive.....................lol

Ha ha ha ha

:hug:

#15 gripper

gripper

UKPOLICEONLINE Guru

• 2,772 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:07 AM

Have you taken your tablet this morning;)

#16 SimonT

SimonT

UKPoliceOnline Staff

• Moderators
  • 7,288 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:03 AM

A few years back, i was out with the shift inspector.

Whilst we were at a job away from the car, Someone spat on the marked car. We swabbed it, DNA, and a few weeks later nicked him and got a result. The look on his face when we knocked on his door was priceless.

what did he get nicked for?

#17 dolly1966

dolly1966

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• 596 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:08 PM

Yes thank you........................they are the same as yours, how are you finding them?

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

#18 gripper

gripper

UKPOLICEONLINE Guru

• 2,772 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:25 PM

Yes thank you........................they are the same as yours, how are you finding them?

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I have to sit down now!.

#19 dolly1966

dolly1966

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• 596 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:27 PM

I have to sit down now!.

Oh bless lol

:clapping:

#20 gripper

gripper

UKPOLICEONLINE Guru

• 2,772 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:48 PM

And the smell. OMG, the smell;)