UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • 120 posts
  • Interests:Birdwatching, Fishing, Motor-Sport,
    'Storming' Alpine Passes,
    Humanitarian Aid.

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:59 PM

Hi guys I need some help/advice please.

I’m having a problem getting my head round some of the info on the gov.uk web-site.

For several years I have been towing a trailer with a M-Benz Sprinter.

The Sprinter has a GVW of 2800kg and a GTW of 4800kg.
The trailer has a manufacturer’s plate giving the max gross as 2000kg.

I’m over 60 and have held a full car licence since the mid-sixties – so it shows B, BE, C1, C1E, D1, D1E etc.

So far so good, perfect in fact, but …..

I would also like to occasionally tow the trailer with a BMW car having a GVW of 1980kg and a GTW of 3780kg so that would mean that the max permissible weight of the trailer exceeds the max towing capacity of the car by 200kg.

I have no intention of ever loading the trailer to the max of 2000kg with the BMW but am I legal towing it within the limits of the car’s GTW?

I will more than likely be towing a total of nearer 1400kg rather than the 1800kg that BMW allow.

Is it the max permissible weight of the trailer that I need to go by (which is too high for the car) or rather the actual weight which will be much less?

I have read and re-read the gov.uk info several times and I have to reluctantly admit defeat – I’m confused.

I enquired at a caravan agent and he said that I had a choice of perhaps down-plating my trailer (which I don’t want to do because I still want to use the capacity with the Sprinter)
But he said I should be OK due to my age and licence.

I don’t like the 'should' bit – I want to be sure.

#2 Rudi

Rudi

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:06 AM

Hi guys I need some help/advice please.

I’m having a problem getting my head round some of the info on the gov.uk web-site.

For several years I have been towing a trailer with a M-Benz Sprinter.

The Sprinter has a GVW of 2800kg and a GTW of 4800kg.
The trailer has a manufacturer’s plate giving the max gross as 2000kg.

I’m over 60 and have held a full car licence since the mid-sixties – so it shows B, BE, C1, C1E, D1, D1E etc.

So far so good, perfect in fact, but …..

I would also like to occasionally tow the trailer with a BMW car having a GVW of 1980kg and a GTW of 3780kg so that would mean that the max permissible weight of the trailer exceeds the max towing capacity of the car by 200kg.

I have no intention of ever loading the trailer to the max of 2000kg with the BMW but am I legal towing it within the limits of the car’s GTW?

I will more than likely be towing a total of nearer 1400kg rather than the 1800kg that BMW allow.

Is it the max permissible weight of the trailer that I need to go by (which is too high for the car) or rather the actual weight which will be much less?

I have read and re-read the gov.uk info several times and I have to reluctantly admit defeat – I’m confused.

I enquired at a caravan agent and he said that I had a choice of perhaps down-plating my trailer (which I don’t want to do because I still want to use the capacity with the Sprinter)
But he said I should be OK due to my age and licence.

I don’t like the 'should' bit – I want to be sure.

Go by the GTW of the vehicle not the plated weight of the trailer. The vehicle is not designed to tow anything over the GTW and it would be dangerous of you did.

#3 Iceweasel

Iceweasel

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • 120 posts
    Humanitarian Aid.

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:09 AM

Thanks for that Rudi, and that's what I intend doing.

My question is am I committing any offence by driving a combination with a trailer which has a 'capability' of exceeding the GTW.

I have no fear at all of being stopped and taken to a weigh-bridge. I'll always be well within the GTW.

I can't find anywhere that states it's OK to pull a 2 tonne capacity trailer as long as it isn't loaded past the GTW of the towing vehicle.

#4 Rudi

Rudi

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:31 PM

No your not committing an offence. The trailer could be rated to 5 tons but if its empty and your under your train weight then all is good.

#5 Sectioned Detection

Sectioned Detection

UKPOLICEONLINE Master

• Senior Resident Members
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:43 PM

If it helps my misses says size doesn't count! :o)

#6 Iceweasel

Iceweasel

UKPOLICEONLINE Member

• Resident Members
  • 120 posts
    Humanitarian Aid.

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:54 PM

Ah well, that'll be because your 'trailer' is well within the maximum capacity. LOL

#7 Sectioned Detection

Sectioned Detection

UKPOLICEONLINE Master

• Senior Resident Members
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:33 PM

Harsh....but true!

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users