turtletom

Independant Patrol

12 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

Just done my 12 weeks with my tutor and fingers crossed will be going independant tomorrow. Nervous is not the word! I feel like I have no idea what I am doing and am finding myself thinking questions over and over in my head, it's starting to get a bit annoying now!

Any other fellow students who have recently done independant give me any tips / advice?

Thanks in advance.

You will be fine, not knowing something is okay, not knowing where to get the answer is the problem.... You will never know everything but it will be somewhere between 3 & 5 years before you think you know most things!

Good luck to you, we have all been there!

1 person likes this

I am in a similar boat Tom but luckily have a good supportive team I can rely upon for help and advice.

:blink: Scary though aye.

Cheers, day 1 went ok, enjoyed it. I have only met my group a few times, I hope they are ready for me to be the annoying one asking all the questions!

Hahaha, my team are well versed in answering my endless list of questions, but reasuringly they dont know all the answers themselves. I am of the impression my whole career will be the same, always learning

is it only 12 weeks with a collegue then you get left on your own?

It's different in Scotland Paul, we're with our tutors for longer

Hahaha, my team are well versed in answering my endless list of questions

Your old team was the same. :biggrin:

1 person likes this

is it only 12 weeks with a collegue then you get left on your own?

As said, different in Scotland, normally work with a partner anyway for corroboration, so being let loose means lumbering yourself on non tutor colleagues.

ah ok. thanos for the info. I was panicing there and i havent even passed everything yet lol

Think id be realy nervous aswel on my first day on my own depending what i got called too

Turtletom,

I went independent following roughly 12 weeks with my tutor back in May/June 2012. I was placed on a City centre foot beat for a further 10 weeks where I was to consolidate the skills I learnt with my tutor, before getting doing my driving course and going onto a Reactive shift. There are plenty of people more experienced than me on here but if I had any advice, its this.

- Have your shift Sergeant's and your colleagues' collar numbers scribble down in the back of your PNB until you memorise them. If you run into a confusing incident or you aren't sure what to do, give one of them a ring. You may feel like a pain for a while, but their knowledge and insight is invaluable.

- Don't try to take on the world single handedly, if you want/need assistance, ask for it

- However, if you see something you know is an offence or you see unacceptable behaviour, and you aren't overly confident, don't be afraid to challenge someone. You'll find you become a lot more proactive in that sense.

- Hammer your SOLAP.

- Lastly. Buy cakes for the shift and make tea for the boss. You're also bound to incur a 'donut' offence, I have on more than one occasion (not too often I may add).

Best of luck, hope you enjoy it.

1 person likes this

Thanks everyone and thanks Carver87, I am still enjoying it. No doubt I will be buying a lot of buns!